Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window

Reaction Score
The newACC is much less attractive. It’s an island of misfit toys.

Cuse is in decline. You could also say BC could be a great team if they could just hire the next great coach. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, every day would be Christmas.

I’ll take Marquette. I’m old enough to appreciate their history
Glass houses, ziz. Villanova is in the same place as Syracuse. If Villanova gets the right coach, they could be back. If not, they could be Georgetown.

And I never said BC could be great, although in the early Big East days they were very good. Actually from the mid-60s through the early 2000s they were solid with some very good teams.

Maybe the NEWBIE should add LaSalle and NYU. Both won NCAA championships. NYU won both the NCAA and the NIT in the same year! Let’s go Violets!

Reaction Score
Glass houses, ziz. Villanova is in the same place as Syracuse. If Villanova gets the right coach, they could be back. If not, they could be Georgetown.

And I never said BC could be great, although in the early Big East days they were very good. Actually from the mid-60s through the early 2000s they were solid with some very good teams.

Maybe the NEWBIE should add LaSalle and NYU. Both won NCAA championships. NYU won both the NCAA and the NIT in the same year! Let’s go Violets!
Ok, I’ll play along. Marquette is #4. So they have a history AND they are currently relevant.

Reaction Score

I'd take a conference with Syracuse over Villanova 7 days a week.

Reaction Score
I'd take a conference with Syracuse over Villanova 7 days a week.
I like both… Syracuse is the only school I would want back in the big east who left

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
The good thing about Fox and ESPN getting the CFP out of the way is that several people related to the negotiations indicated that football TV money has hit a ceiling and that they don't see additional increases going forward, in other words the table is set.

I hope this means that revenue growth for certain programs will be there.

I understand there's a difference between tournament deals and conference deals, but we'll see where this goes

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

The benefit here is that Fox won't lower their offer if they believe ESPN has interest in the product. From a conference wide perspective, this can only benefit us. From a UConn specific the only potential downside is that we could once again be in a position where the conference takes our tier three rights and sells them for what would be a substantially lower return to us (as the revenues will be spread throughout the conference) than what we would get on our own.

Reaction Score
The benefit here is that Fox won't lower their offer if they believe ESPN has interest in the product. From a conference wide perspective, this can only benefit us. From a UConn specific the only potential downside is that we could once again be in a position where the conference takes our tier three rights and sells them for what would be a substantially lower return to us (as the revenues will be spread throughout the conference) than what we would get on our own.
Even if ESPN has interest, we will still be massively undervalued for whatever is offered compared to the P4. Our media value is essentially lowballed while the other schools in the conference gets to use us to boost whatever they would be getting.

Consequence of big fish in a small pond

Reaction Score
This might be like the Red Sox bidding on a superstar to make the Yankees have to pay more, but with the new streaming partnership that includes ESPN and Fox, who knows what ESPN's motivation is these days.

Reaction Score

That was CCNY. not NYU
a powerhouse until the 1950 point shaving scandal. The NCAA was held at MSG that year so it was easily doable. They were lead by a big guy 6’8” Ed Roman who was banned from the NBA for taking bribes.
I saw him play in as a ringer in a Andonia AC team In a SRO Shelton HS Gym . He hit a 12-15 foot hook shot on a fast break that I’ve never seen anyone else do.
Amazing shot .
That game featured a bunch of banned guys like 7’0” Bill Spivey who scored 67 pts
The buzz was Wilt night play for the Milford team as he was in a contract dispute with the Warriors but he was a no show .
. Thr preliminary game was a women’s game featuring a teenage Joan Joyce who was head and shoulders above everyone else scoring 30 on 15-18 foot jumpers.She would be a star in WNBA
If she wasn’t the best female athlete in history I don’t know who would be .

Reaction Score
The UConn Creighton game was the most watched cable game in the history of the big east (fs1)709k I’m thinking a lot people tuned in because UConn was getting beat..this bolds well for the big east in negotiations for the next tv contract

Reaction Score
The UConn Creighton game was the most watched cable game in the history of the big east (fs1)709k I’m thinking a lot people tuned in because UConn was getting beat..this bolds well for the big east in negotiations for the next tv contract
There were higher rated college bb games that day from other conferences. Originally posted by Husky Dan in the BB board

Reaction Score
That was CCNY. not NYU
a powerhouse until the 1950 point shaving scandal. The NCAA was held at MSG that year so it was easily doable. They were lead by a big guy 6’8” Ed Roman who was banned from the NBA for taking bribes.
I saw him play in as a ringer in a Andonia AC team In a SRO Shelton HS Gym . He hit a 12-15 foot hook shot on a fast break that I’ve never seen anyone else do.
Amazing shot .
That game featured a bunch of banned guys like 7’0” Bill Spivey who scored 67 pts
The buzz was Wilt night play for the Milford team as he was in a contract dispute with the Warriors but he was a no show .
. Thr preliminary game was a women’s game featuring a teenage Joan Joyce who was head and shoulders above everyone else scoring 30 on 15-18 foot jumpers.She would be a star in WNBA
If she wasn’t the best female athlete in history I don’t know who would be .
Post in thread 'Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window'
Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window

Reaction Score
Sorry if this was posted somwehere already but I can’t seem to find anything on it and this thread seems somewhat appropriate. Jay Bilas, during the Game Day broadcast last Saturday vs Villanova, said that the Big East may merge with the ACC. Is there merit to this or has he been throwing this out there for a while and it’s meh news? I don’t follow realignment closely but this is interesting for bball fans.

Reaction Score
Sorry if this was posted somwehere already but I can’t seem to find anything on it and this thread seems somewhat appropriate. Jay Bilas, during the Game Day broadcast last Saturday vs Villanova, said that the Big East may merge with the ACC. Is there merit to this or has he been throwing this out there for a while and it’s meh news? I don’t follow realignment closely but this is interesting for bball fans.
I’ve heard this. I said in this thread or another that the Big East would absorb the ACC leftovers and begin playing football again. It could be the other way around, but that really depends on what brand is considered better. I’d prefer that it be called the Big East, the ACC has negative connotations these days.

The ESPN love fest the last two weeks was interesting and Gameday was outstanding.

Reaction Score
I wonder if ESPN has thought of maximizing UConn's value...

UNC-Duke, this month, drew 3.2 million viewers...What could the Huskies do on ESPN ?

Reaction Score
A strange thought...if football breaks away into a P2 sport....why not have a basketball breakaway...

Reconstitute a basketball P2-P3 made up of the more powerful teams ?

Unhinge BB and football from "all sports".

The basketball revenue gets short shift because the NCAA hides so much of the annual revenue by its byzantine distribution formula over 5 years, instead of one year. Should the NCAA disappear and the big 2 venture out on their own from the NCAA, the annual revenue numbers for good basketball teams could look a lot different than just having media contracts supporting the programs,

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder if ESPN has thought of maximizing UConn's value...

UNC-Duke, this month, drew 3.2 million viewers...What could the Huskies do on ESPN ?

This is part of a bigger picture. Of course, we’d draw well against Duke. However, we used to draw well against Cuse. This is as much about restoring brands like Cuse, VTech and BC as it is about creating new, meaningful matchups.

Northeast sports can be restored. The teams need to play old rivals so the region cares. Nobody in the Northeast cares about the south until they retire there.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
If the majority of the football schools leave, this would be awesome! UConn would have a football home and still have great basketball games against their current Big East opponents. Throw in Duke and some traditional rivalries and thus will be a hit. It would be the best basketball conference, hands down.

Reaction Score
This is part of a bigger picture. Of course, we’d draw well against Duke. However, we used to draw well against Cuse. This is as much about restoring brands like Cuse, VTech and BC as it is about creating new, meaningful matchups.

Northeast sports can be restored. The teams need to play old rivals so the region cares. Nobody in the Northeast cares about the south until they retire there.

When you are talking about restoring Northeast sports, it is in the context of basketball. But with conferences hooked up as all sport (and growing) there may be less room on schedules for OOC inter conference rivalry building. I am at a loss as to why Cuse can't move back to some BB prominence...BC is a sports black hole...and VT? Dunno...Virginia has always been a BB oriented school.

Reaction Score
When you are talking about restoring Northeast sports, it is in the context of basketball. But with conferences hooked up as all sport (and growing) there may be less room on schedules for OOC inter conference rivalry building. I am at a loss as to why Cuse can't move back to some BB prominence...BC is a sports black hole...and VT? Dunno...Virginia has always been a BB oriented school.
There was juice playing each other in football too. We used to sell out all the time in the Big East.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom