Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window

Reaction Score
I think the Big East will stay with FOX. Even if the Big East made a jump to ESPN, I don't think ESPN has many time windows available to showcase the Big East like FOX can. ESPN has a lot of basketball inventory right now. Better to be a showcase than an afterthought.

Reaction Score
I think the Big East will stay with FOX. Even if the Big East made a jump to ESPN, I don't think ESPN has many time windows available to showcase the Big East like FOX can. ESPN has a lot of basketball inventory right now. Better to be a showcase than an afterthought.
The BE would be relegated to ESPN2/U/+, FS1 is still better. Not to mention UConn occasionally gets the main Fox channel like we will with Marquette this weekend

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Do you even understand the difference between linear cable and streaming?

Reaction Score
Do you even understand the difference between linear cable and streaming?

ESPN may have unlimited open windows because of streaming, and they could offer a package accordingly.

The Big East on the other side of the deal has a say in the negotiations, and streaming in 2024 may not be as attractive as broadcast access on FS1.

I’d rather have full coverage on FS1 (plus the affiliated partners).

Reaction Score
So how do we hear more about the negotiation with Fox? 60 day exclusive window? I hope we get the deal we want in this period. Any inside scoops? Any hope for CT media coverage?

Reaction Score
The network is a key to viewers. ESPN does have more casual viewers. For a regular season game expect ESPN to have more viewers than a better FS1 game.

Brands matter, but so does winning. Were you tuning into a Ville game last year?

I’d take Marquette over Louisville or Syracuse. Their draw is more regional, in the Midwest first and the Big East footprint second, but so are most programs. I doubt LA is keyed into Ville games more than Marquette.

Brands are built and they are tarnished. This Big East allows for successful building.
tell that to DePaul.

Reaction Score
If ESPN does not get a big chunk of NBA games during the upcoming negotiations, then I would think they would be interested in Big East basketball. That said, I think FOX will renew the rights.

Reaction Score
If UConn really carries the Big East viewership on air, would big brother Fox have any interest/legitimate power in helping us make a jump to the B1G/B12?
That would be great. I’m guessing Fox would prefer to pay as little as possible for content in order to maximize profit.

Reaction Score
That would be great. I’m guessing Fox would prefer to pay as little as possible for content in order to maximize profit.
Low cost is one approach. Maximize revenue is another way to increase profits. UConn vs Purdue, UCLA, Michigan State, Kansas, Arizona, would probably surpass UConn vs Marquette, Villanova, DePaul.

Reaction Score
It is bad enough that the Rutgers fan trolls a UConn board every day, but it seems like a lot of UConn “fans” are also openly hoping for the athletic program to fail.
Where do you see that?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
As long as all of the BE teams’ games stay on linear TV and the league gets a bump to at least 6 million per year, I’ll be happy.

Reaction Score
The network is a key to viewers. ESPN does have more casual viewers. For a regular season game expect ESPN to have more viewers than a better FS1 game.

Brands matter, but so does winning. Were you tuning into a Ville game last year?

I’d take Marquette over Louisville or Syracuse. Their draw is more regional, in the Midwest first and the Big East footprint second, but so are most programs. I doubt LA is keyed into Ville games more than Marquette.

Brands are built and they are tarnished. This Big East allows for successful building.
The network is irrelevant to my point, I'm not making a rating argument, I'm making a brand name argument. I'm a fan... I'm more inclined to look for a matchup involving teams I know to be good or whom the team I support will be playing. So yeah, to you or I, Marquette's the bigger draw THIS YEAR... but to casual folks looking for something to watch on a Saturday afternoon? Nope. Syracuse or Louisville is the name brand they've heard of and the more likely place they stop... unless they're sold by the #4 next to Marquette's name.

Therein lies the problem for the Marquette's of the world... they're a draw if they have that #4; but they are not a reliable draw (and it will take a much longer run of sustained success for them to move into that category... how many years of winning did it take Gonzaga to be treated as something more than a mid-major, 15? 20?). In the Big East only UConn or Villanova have the name recognition to get people to stop without a ranking. None of what I said should be seen as a slight to the Big East. It's been good for the UConn, but the value of the Big East on the open market, is likely much smaller than Big East or even non-Big East college basketball fans would think it "should" be.

Reaction Score
$6M would be disappointing.
$6M would be indeed disappointing. Big East needs to sell the media content to multiple providers to bid up the price. If Fox isn't offering the best deal, bring in CBS and streaming services. At end of the day, all Big East sports content should be available somewhere that's easily accessible by the fans.

Reaction Score
Point 1 - FS1 has fewer viewers than ESPN. That is valid and that is a negative. On the other side, FS1 paid up and put all the games on broadcast TV at a time when ESPN tried to kill the conference.

Point 2 - brand programs. Meh, those teams have mostly sucked since leaving the Big East.
Pitt? Ooof. No post season success.
WVU? Yuck.
Cuse? Fans miss the Big East! In decline.
Ville? 4-28! Scandalous and broken.
ND? A never was that’s nowhere now.

Don’t forget BC.

The ACC is a mess and the teams that left the Big East are broken.

UConn, on the other hand, is the reigning national champ with another title for the Big East.
Syracuse just replaced its long term hall of fame coach. Villanova knows what can happen then. As does UConn. Don’t worry, Syracuse will figure it out. Might take a few years, but it will work out. Same with Duke. They are only a top 25 team, not a Top 5. UConn's title had zilch to do with the NEWBIE. Remember we won one in the AAC. Our return saved the NEWBIE. It had 1 team. When the coach retired, they fell off. It would be negotiating with a new deal with zero cards. Now it has the champ. Without us the NEWBIE is the MVC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Syracuse just replaced its long term hall of fame coach. Villanova knows what can happen then. As does UConn. Don’t worry, Syracuse will figure it out. Might take a few years, but it will work out. Same with Duke. They are only a top 25 team, not a Top 5. UConn's title had zilch to do with the NEWBIE. Remember we won one in the AAC. Our return saved the NEWBIE. It had 1 team. When the coach retired, they fell off. It would be negotiating with a new deal with zero cards. Now it has the champ. Without us the NEWBIE is the MVC.
Fetch Mean Girls GIF by Paramount Movies

Reaction Score
Hurley is on record saying that without the Big East we don't get AJax or Sanogo. Without us the Big East was still a top 4 league in the country. And defending Syracuse is low, even for you.

Honestly, your shtick would be so much better if you weren't constantly wrong all the time.

Reaction Score
Big East fanbois saying they're happy with 6m is walking the goalposts back (not directed necessarily at Shizzola)
It absolutely is. Last summer people were saying 10-12 million. I said $7 would be a real great outcome and got pummeled.

The New Big East is seen by most people as something of a transition league. It isn’t a P4 but it isn’t a mid-major either. It has UConn and Villanova, though Villanova is in a typical down cycle after replacing a great coach, and that hurts. Right now UConn moves the needle

Reaction Score
The newACC is much less attractive. It’s an island of misfit toys.

Cuse is in decline. You could also say BC could be a great team if they could just hire the next great coach. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, every day would be Christmas.

I’ll take Marquette. I’m old enough to appreciate their history.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The newACC is much less attractive. It’s an island of misfit toys.
Perhaps, but it's an island of misfit toys that is likely to get paid many multiples of what the big east will for media rights and, hopefully, get a share of CFP money as well.

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but it's an island of misfit toys that is likely to get paid many multiples of what the big east will for media rights and, hopefully, get a share of CFP money as well.
and for UConn it would be an island of misfit toys more closely aligned with UConn athletic goals. Syracuse & BC may be down in basketball, but they still have the same attraction/nostalgia as Villanova & Providence you can throw in the other left-overs still be in a good spot... plus you solve the football scheduling/conference issue in the process.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom