Four team playoff in 2014? | The Boneyard

Four team playoff in 2014?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Gonna be real tough for a Big East team to be one of the four... but I guess that's the point. I'd love 8 but that's not even in the discussion.

Reaction Score
baby steps. I'll be happy if they go to this 4 team playoff for now simply because it will inevitably increase to 8. I hope they don't go to the neutral sites for the 1st games though. I would love to see home games for the highest rated teams and I also hope this destroys the bowl system for good.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Look for an outline to come out this week.

Top four teams in BCS rankings after conference championship games. 1 v 4 and 2 v 3.

Semifinals will be played at neutral sites to bid out similar to the NCAA basketball tournament does for it's regional sites. Think Atlanta, Indianapolis, New Orleans, St Louis and maybe San Diego or Miami type locations. Don't expect outdoor locations north of the Mason/Dixon line.

Jerryworld will get the first three national championship games in Dallas with an option for the final two. Right of first refusal for years four and five otherwise it goes out to bid.

Total package for the first five years will about $3 billion for five years or about $600 million a year.

Traditional bowl games will continue to exist but will be much smaller in scope, cost and payout similar to cities who bid on first/second round NCAA tourney games.

Reaction Score
Florida, Alabama, LSU, Texas, tOSU, Michigan, Oklahoma, USC and, of course, Her Holiness, Notre Dame (should they ever field a legit BCS program) to fight it out for four spots. All others need not apply.

Reaction Score
Florida, Alabama, LSU, Texas, tOSU, Michigan, Oklahoma, USC and, of course, Her Holiness, Notre Dame (should they ever field a legit BCS program) to fight it out for four spots. All others need not apply.

Nope. An undefeated Big East team will be very much in the mix for a spot in the final four, 2010 TCU is a prime example. Under the current system we have no shot. A four team playoff gives the Big East life.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If it's the top 4 in the BCS rankings, then Cincy would have been in it in 2010 I believe (they were #3).

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
What will be interesting is whether Boise decides this gives them an out as the BE is no longer an "AQ" conference (no one is) and decides to stay out West.

Reaction Score
What will be interesting is whether Boise decides this gives them an out as the BE is no longer an "AQ" conference (no one is) and decides to stay out West.

See TCU's long and illustrious tenure in the Big East. So totally agree on this point.

Reaction Score
Is there still a such thing as a neutral site? That could end up being a sticking point.

Reaction Score
See TCU's long and illustrious tenure in the Big East. So totally agree on this point.

While I agree with the premise that, they wont need the big east for BCS access, you can't discount the tv money factor. No where Boise can play out west is going to provide as much money from the tv contract as the BE. I say this fully expecting the next BE contract to be lower than all other current BCS conferences.

Reaction Score
baby steps. I'll be happy if they go to this 4 team playoff for now simply because it will inevitably increase to 8. I hope they don't go to the neutral sites for the 1st games though. I would love to see home games for the highest rated teams and I also hope this destroys the bowl system for good.
The 1aa has expanded to 20 and if this is successful I would imagine the playoff will eventually be 2o or even 32 within 10 years. It will be 16 in 5 years...no way will the Big 10 or the SEC, for example, stand for having their champ left out some season, deserving or not. I don't really believe the neutral site thing will work economically nor do I htink this will be any more lucrative for the individual schools than the existing BCS system is, but have at it, I guess. notice that all the support for neutral sites comes from the southern schools, particularly the SEC. Their opposition to campus site is that cold weather sites would put them at a disadvantage...LOL, poor babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom