Former DB Aaron Garland Is Set Up for Nothing, But Success | The Boneyard

Former DB Aaron Garland Is Set Up for Nothing, But Success

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Sounds like a phenomenal guy, and I have no doubt he will be extremely successful in life, but...

It's telling to see this outlet continue to elevate Diaco and paint him in a more favorable light than Edsall.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a phenomenal guy, and I have no doubt he will be extremely successful in life, but...

It's telling to see this outlet continue to elevate Diaco and paint him in a more favorable light than Edsall.

Agreed, but it's not Matt doing it in this article--Edsall's criticized thru direct quotes from Garland. I really hope the scholarship thing was an honest mistake.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Agreed, but it's not Matt doing it in this article--Edsall's criticized thru direct quotes from Garland. I really hope the scholarship thing was an honest mistake.

Matt has a tremendous say over which material he chooses to publish. As someone who's engaged in similar work interviewing and profiling amateur athletes for online publications, I assure you there's always stuff that gets left on the cutting room floor (so to speak). It was definitely a conscious decision to include and frame the pro-Diaco, anti-Edsall material in the way that he did.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I wish the young man well, he is obviously a smart kid with a bright future. The article couldn't be any more biased though.

sour_garpes_in_brine_1.png

Reaction Score
I am sure the opinion of Diaco as a coach was quite different for the defensive players than the other side of the ball. The diminished PT and horrid stats for the 3-3-5 under Edsall/Crocker surely left Garland with some bad feelings:. Obviously a confident kid who seemingly thought he was given the short end of the stick on the football side.

There is no question of the author's intent in this article. It would've been a great story without the scholarship discussion. In my view, it actually diminished the quality of the story, which should have focused on Garland's accompLishments.

There is another story here that is unclear. Matt liked the access Diaco gave him. Maybe not getting the same from Edsall. Or something totally different. But there is obviously something there. Propping up Diaco after his HC. Gig and then the abject failure at Nebraska seems to focus more on relationships than football.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I am sure the opinion of Diaco as a coach was quite different for the defensive players than the other side of the ball. The diminished PT and horrid stats for the 3-3-5 under Edsall/Crocker surely left Garland with some bad feelings:. Obviously a confident kid who seemingly thought he was given the short end of the stick on the football side.

There is no question of the author's intent in this article. It would've been a great story without the scholarship discussion. In my view, it actually diminished the quality of the story, which should have focused on Garland's accompLishments.

There is another story here that is unclear. Matt liked the access Diaco gave him. Maybe not getting the same from Edsall. Or something totally different. But there is obviously something there. Propping up Diaco after his HC. Gig and then the abject failure at Nebraska seems to focus more on relationships than football.

Edsall still gives(/gave?) him plenty of access in spite of his attitude around the time of his hiring. I'll never understand why this is still an issue.

Reaction Score
If anyone had any doubts about whether Matt was a complete fraud...
he was doing so much better and I actually started clicking on his articles. he goes back into the filter for me.

Reaction Score
he was doing so much better and I actually started clicking on his articles. he goes back into the filter for me.

Once a loser always a loser. Anyone who is willing to go to the mat for that loser Diaco is not worthy of any clicks or attention what so ever.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So people think DO was mad about a job.. what is Malloy mad about to torch Edsall over a kid who couldn’t get on the field?

Reaction Score

He says Diaco "knew the game". Was he there at the end of the Navy game that should have been a win but was blown by Diaco's apparent confusion under pressure? How many other calls or failures to make a call at critical times did we all see with Diaco but this guy never noticed?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
More media coverage I don't understand (like UConn alum Burke electing to publish disparaging quotes at this sensitive juncture from Orlovsky). At the very least, Matt as a friend of the program should have waited to publish one after recruiting season.

Otherwise, the short take here is that Garland and Edsall did not mesh, is that really a surprise? So yeah he's not going to have a rosy exit interview.
As for the scholarship thing, could that be an administrative error? I sure hope so.

For me this is more evidence that it was a tough recruiting season for Edsall 2.0 when you have several "non believers" roaming the sidelines and the locker room. Hopefully most of the old stock is out now leaving it a house less divided.

Reaction Score
I hated the way Randy blamed players publicly when things went wrong and took credit when things went right his first time here.

The man knows how to put a program together but he had some douchiness to him. Even with that said, no one should be writing anything positive about Diaco. He pulled his B.S. with the Navy game ending and the Donovan Williams situation.

Reaction Score
Publish the scholarship story if you want, but a real journalist would have attempted to contact someone, anyone in the football program for an explanation, and if attempts to contact were unsuccessful or no comment given would say so. No indication that was done here.

Reaction Score
There is little doubt in my mind that had a Edsall stayed on at UCONN we would compete at the top of the AAC. We had six years of near complete incompetence running the program and now Edsall has to fix this mess. It’s going to take time, it’s going to piss some folks off and, unfortunately, I think next season will be brutal.

Edsall takes a powder and I really don’t know where we go.

Reaction Score
Publish the scholarship story if you want, but a real journalist would have attempted to contact someone, anyone in the football program for an explanation, and if attempts to contact were unsuccessful or no comment given would say so. No indication that was done here.

Excellent point.

Reaction Score

He’s Diaco’s biggest fanboy.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
He’s Diaco’s biggest fanboy.
And the biggest reason I usually don't click. Thought this would be a good article about a former player so I clicked. Unfortunately it was kind of that but mostly a jab at our current staff and a bs propping up of Disasco

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom