For ESPN Millions to remain in CT | The Boneyard

For ESPN Millions to remain in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Respectfully disagree. Noeyo. Think this is VERY related to CR discussion. 260 million reasons why ESPN should have been/needs to make sure UConn is taken care of in CR.

I expect the "we can't be mean to them or they'll move" and the "we have no right to expect them to help UConn in CR" crowd to start weighing in soon. After reading this article it seems highly, highly unlikely they will abandon all this infrastructure. In the great scheme of things the favor UConn would be asking ESPN is a very, very small one.

Reaction Score
Gotta give Malloy credit for one thing, enabling them fo get larger only makes it more difficult for them to move. There may come a time where that can be beneficial.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Would love to see UConn try to work with ESPN to create a new broadcasting/journalism building on the Storrs campus, sort of like what Ford built for engineers at Georgia Tech.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A corporation with the resources of Disney/ABC is always a threat to relocate.

That said, the irony of our situation is just as amazing as ever.

Reaction Score

I don't underestimate the power of a vindictive corporation, but the chances of them pulling up stakes in Connecticut because the state leaned on them to help in CR, especially in the next five years, are pretty much zero.

Reaction Score

That said, the irony of our situation is just as amazing as ever.
If they could, they'd just be in a cloud. Outsource the whole thing to India or China... whoever gives them the most for the least.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't underestimate the power of a vindictive corporation, but the chances of them pulling up stakes in Connecticut because the state leaned on them to help in CR, especially in the next five years, are pretty much zero.

It's pretty clear that the state didn't lean on them at all - I think almost all of what they've gotten in breaks pre-dates realignment.

But this isn't really a realignment story - it's just a story about the way large corporations and states interact.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I hate corporate welfare mostly because it is so ineffective at creating jobs. states are better off spending that money on lower taxes and education. That is what actually attracts employers.

If you are going to do it, spend it on bringing new companies in rather than keeping companies in.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They're probably better off just lowering corporate taxes across the board.

The northeastern states have themselves unattractive to individuals, corporations and apparently, athletic conferences.

Reaction Score
They're probably better off just lowering corporate taxes across the board.

The northeastern states have themselves unattractive to individuals, corporations and apparently, athletic conferences.
Maine > Florida.

When is Maine going to be invited to the AAC??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom