For all the recent talk of bigs | The Boneyard

For all the recent talk of bigs

Reaction Score
and our need for size over the last few years, it occurred to me today while watching last year's game at tOSU, that had Crystal Dangerfield been on this year's team, we probably would have won the championship.

A bit ironic.

Reaction Score
huskiemaniac, is talking recent Huskies, not to denigrate Moriah, who was superb.

Reaction Score
Had mentioned this in a different thread. We needed MoJeff; Danger or even Ashley Battle.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
and our need for size over the last few years, it occurred to me today while watching last year's game at tOSU, that had Crystal Dangerfield been on this year's team, we probably would have won the championship.

A bit ironic.
Can you expand on this? Why do you believe Crystal was the missing ingredient?

Reaction Score
I haven't said this yet, but to me the difference was Christyn starting out on defense against Aari. One would think that you'd out your defensive stalwart Evina on her and tire her out. Wasn't Christyn once described as a player who couldn't guard a seated chair? That first quarter hole proved to be all the difference..

Reaction Score
I haven't said this yet, but to me the difference was Christyn starting out on defense against Aari. One would think that you'd out your defensive stalwart Evina on her and tire her out. Wasn't Christyn once described as a player who couldn't guard a seated chair? That first quarter hole proved to be all the difference..

I think they went with Christyn based on how she was handling defensive duties later in the season. I recall Coach Auriemma pointing it out in press conferences.

Regarding Evina, her knee isn't 100% even after her surgery. Not sure if putting her on MacDonald would have been a good idea if she can't move the way you'd need her to against a player like MacDonald.

Reaction Score
Can you expand on this? Why do you believe Crystal was the missing ingredient?
First off, this was based on watching that game, so I confined myself to last year's team only. (I have often thought, over the last 5 years- man, if we had Dolson, we'd have won 9 straight NCs!)

When you watch that tOSU game (or any game last year, I'd assume), you remember how aggressive and fast Crystal was, how she could get her own shot, how she could shoot from downtown as well as penetrate, and how well she defended. She was 3+years seasoned in the system. Granted, she was plagued with making a bonehead play or 2 a game, even as a senior, but overall she had a veteran game.

So, CD would have added: experience, 3-pt shooting, speed, aggression, perimeter defense. Also 118/52 A/TO.

ETA: CD was also very strong, tough, and in great condition.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
First off, this was based on watching that game, so I confined myself to last year's team only. (I have often thought, over the last 5 years- man, if we had Dolson, we'd have won 9 straight NCs!)

When you watch that tOSU game (or any game last year, I'd assume), you remember how aggressive and fast Crystal was, how she could get her own shot, how she could shoot from downtown as well as penetrate, and how well she defended. She was 3+years seasoned in the system. Granted, she was plagued with making a bonehead play or 2 a game, even as a senior, but overall she had a veteran game.

So, CD would have added: experience, 3-pt shooting, speed, aggression, perimeter defense. Also 118/52 A/TO.

ETA: CD was also very strong, tough, and in great condition.
I'm probably in 95% agreement with you with the 4% being about Crystal as a perimeter Defense. Crystal was a max effort always defender and plenty quick, unfortunately her small stature was a liability on defense against bigger guards which was in most of her matchups. The other 1% was Crystal was a streaky 3pt shooter. When she was hot like against South Carolina in regionals she could bury you. When she was cold like against ND she did not know how to dial it back.

Reaction Score
I'm probably in 95% agreement with you with the 4% being about Crystal as a perimeter Defense. Crystal was a max effort always defender and plenty quick, unfortunately her small stature was a liability on defense against bigger guards which was in most of her matchups. The other 1% was Crystal was a streaky 3pt shooter. When she was hot like against South Carolina in regionals she could bury you. When she was cold like against ND she did not know how to dial it back.

I'd take my chances vs Arizona with the help of Crystal. I think she would have made a difference. She would have been the physical equal to the Wildcats and would have been our best bet to disrupt Aari going 4-9 from 3.

Reaction Score

A bit ironic.

Why? I love Danger and I was hopeful of a big NCAA Tourney her senior year- maybe like Arizona!!

But you know the prior 3 years in FF she wasn't good, right?

Frankly I think the team could have used Walker. With Nika hurt Paige could have set Walker up - among many other things.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom