Floyd, Karaban, Clingan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Floyd, Karaban, Clingan

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Coach Hurley will need to be willing to play some zone with DC down low, so he can get some minutes until he learns how to play pick and roll and how to hedge properly. No reason that he couldn’t play 10 minutes per game

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Man, a starting lineup of Floyd, Hawkins, Jackson, Akok and Sanogo would have a ton of size.
Might well have size, but no one who can really kick start the offense. Size alone won't do it. We had lots of size comparatively this year. If Cole decides to leave, he'd be that guy. If not, you're stuck with Gaffney and Diggins. Unless they improve SUBSTANTIALLY, the offense will be pretty suspect. Jackson would have to create an entirely new mind set in order to establish himself as a point guard.

Reaction Score
There's a pretty good chance that 4 of our 5 leading scorers aren't coming back. It's going to come down to young guys to deliver because the opportunities will be there. I think minutes will be available for Karaban and Floyd pretty early and those minutes will be theirs to lose.

Floyd is a slasher and I think he will be a breath of fresh air after this season when we struggled to attack the rim. He's incredibly strong, can finish at the rim, and can shoot the ball well enough. He won't have the same responsibilities, but his game is pretty similar to Martin's, although I don't think he's quite as good at rebounding.

Karaban is a pretty versatile player, especially on the offensive end. He can shoot, he has decent post moves, he's a very passable ballhandler given his size. It's going to be a challenge for him to play against more athletic opposition since he's not an ELITE athlete, but I am very much looking forward to seeing him play.

Clingan has a bit of a bigger hurdle in front of him since Sanogo will play 30+ minutes and neither seems very capable of playing the 4. That being said, he's huge and he's a good passer of the ball for a big man. He should be able to play some key minutes as a backup, as long as he can hold his own on the defensive side of the ball and not end up in foul trouble

Reaction Score
If Andre doesnt develop a shot over the summer, i feel like the chances of this increase a lot. He's got great court vision, ok handles, athletic as all hell. If he could really tighten the handles up, he'd be a nightmare for another PG but we'll see.
He still needs a little bit of offensive shot/moves to keep opposing guards sagging off of him.

Reaction Score
Small sample size, but Floyd played well in the open practice scrimmage. Think he makes an impact next season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have heard second hand that Hurley is pretty high on Floyd. I like that he appears to have a bit of swagger, which I think was sorely lacking on this season's team.

He is actually the one I chose for next year's starting point guard in the poll thread I started, although I think it is more likely to be Andre based on Hurley's thinking.
I think you almost have to start Andre at PG unless we land a really good transfer. The reality is his shooting hurts you less there. Hawkins will be the SG, but Floyd (2/3 combo) and Karaban (SF) need to play and if Andre is the SF he’s again forcing a challenging roster. Andre played point a lot last night.

If we roll out 1-5, this is a good offensive team. Floyd seems a super sub 6th man to me. If Gaff rediscovers his shot he can get minutes. Diggins if he ups his D. Johnson can back up the 4/5. Springs? Would be nice to try him.
Ajax
Hawk
Karaban
Akok
Sanogo

Reaction Score
Each allowed to camp in the paint on D. That’s the key to Clingan playing in my opinion. If he has to hedge he will be a problem.
That's the frightening thing, Hurley hasn't shown he will adjust how we play our big men based on their abilities. That kind of stubbornness is insane to me. Carlton looked like a really bad player because Hurley kept forcing him to do things he couldn't do.

Clingan obviously won't be able to hard hedge on defense, he needs to be a wall around the basket. Same on offense, Hurley simply can't have him running out to the perimeter like he does with all our other bigs. He has to play out of the post where he will find shooters and get dunks.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's the frightening thing, Hurley hasn't shown he will adjust how we play our big men based on their abilities. That kind of stubbornness is insane to me. Carlton looked like a really bad player because Hurley kept forcing him to do things he couldn't do.

Clingan obviously won't be able to hard hedge on defense, he needs to be a wall around the basket. Same on offense, Hurley simply can't have him running out to the perimeter like he does with all our other bigs. He has to play out of the post where he will find shooters and get dunks.

It will be interesting to watch. His reported passing ability makes me think he can catch above the foul line and hit cutters or corner shooters for passes, and hopefully drain the midrange if open. Sort of how we sometimes used Whaley and Akok (2 years ago). But on D, if he has to do what Sanogo does, I don’t see how he ever plays meaningful minutes.

To play the way Hurley ideally wants he shouldn’t recruit anybody who isn’t athletic and between 6’4” and 6’9”. Watching Nova right now and that’s what they have on the floor.

Reaction Score
I expect you will see both Clingan and Sanogo on the floor together at times. If Hurley is promising to develop players to have the best chance to make it as a pro then Sanogo will need to bring his offense and defense farther from the basket. He has the athleticism to do it. Clingan can also shoot from deep and passes well. Having them both in at times will take the double away from down low.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
It isn't just about BCHS. It's also AAU. He's played, what, 2 ranked centers in his entire life? Isaiah Miranda and the other one I am forgetting. Athletic kid in the 2022 class.

Being absolutely gigantic will help him a lot, but defensively he's going to have an adjustment period. IMO his greatest asset might be his passing.
I thought that he got a lot of recognition at the USA basketball camp? That's high-level competition.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
He still needs a little bit of offensive shot/moves to keep opposing guards sagging off of him.
It appears that he needs to get stronger to finish more affectively. The ball gets knocked out of his hands too easily around the rim.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
Floyd will hopefully provide more at the backup SG position than Hawkins did this year. And we need Hawkins to step up big time as the starting SG.

Karaban I hope will be a more well-rounded version of Polley.

Clingan will get a few minutes here and there, he's badly limited by the quality of competition he faced in HS and isn't remotely ready from what I can tell. Hopefully more Travis Knight than Justin Brown later in his career.

But I really have no idea.
won't Clingan be the backup center meaning 10+ minutes a game?
gotta be more than what Samson got

Reaction Score
I have heard second hand that Hurley is pretty high on Floyd. I like that he appears to have a bit of swagger, which I think was sorely lacking on this season's team.
Don’t feel confident about Hurley’s “high on” at all after his Gaffney and clearly, Diggins mistakes.

We’ll have to rely on CFJ showing us. Not Danny’s “Andre Jackson is an NBA player” type press conferences.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Don’t feel confident about Hurley’s “high on” at all after his Gaffney and clearly, Diggins mistakes.

We’ll have to rely on CFJ showing us. Not Danny’s “Andre Jackson is an NBA player” type press conferences.
The skepticism is warranted. I was only reporting what I heard, not suggesting that it supplant actual observation.

Reaction Score
I think you almost have to start Andre at PG unless we land a really good transfer. The reality is his shooting hurts you less there. Hawkins will be the SG, but Floyd (2/3 combo) and Karaban (SF) need to play and if Andre is the SF he’s again forcing a challenging roster. Andre played point a lot last night.

If we roll out 1-5, this is a good offensive team. Floyd seems a super sub 6th man to me. If Gaff rediscovers his shot he can get minutes. Diggins if he ups his D. Johnson can back up the 4/5. Springs? Would be nice to try him.
Ajax
Hawk
Karaban
Akok
Sanogo
Nah I hope we can find a true PG and Move Ajax to his SF positions(He is not a PG unless he improves his shot and decision making big time), and Akok won't be starting. I can see either Karaban or Samson starting at the PF spot. We need a reliable PG and my hope is Cole comes back to get his NCAA tournament win.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Re Clingan: it depends on a) efforts he makes to develop himself before next season, mainly lateral quickness and upper body strength, and b) Hurley’s willingness to put his best team on the floor. Sanogo is the starter, but if Clingan shows huge upside in practices and games you have to find him time on the court. You can’t coach size.

Not every Frosh center is a project. Hunter Dickinson says hi.

Hunter Dickinson College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Reaction Score
I expect Floyd to contribute immediately. He has a college ready body and per practice reports he’s been killing it, lethal from 3.
Sounds like another Ferrari in the garage

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom