OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Reaction Score
If FSU can break the GoR might ESPN up the ante to keep them in the ACC?
I suppose there is nothing keeping espn from paying FSU more, but then another school may decide they want out. Has to a school like UNC that could have better options.

Reaction Score
If FSU can break the GoR might ESPN up the ante to keep them in the ACC?

Doubtful. Better to pay one additional share to the B1G or SEC than to pay $10-12 million more to every school in the ACC.

Doesn’t mean that FSU is worth that, just that it’s cheaper to add them somewhere else.

Reaction Score
Maybe FSU will negotiate to be set free for a $130M exit fee, then sit as an Indy for a few years as the SEC and B1G hold on any expansion as a new Tier 1 level is contemplated.

Or the SEC agrees to take them at 1/2 payout for 10 years.

Reaction Score
OMG...Will the Orange Bowl be ugly...

FSU has 11 starter opt outs so far...but what hurts is the #1 QB is injured, the #2 QB just announced ( after two weeks of practice ) that he has hit the Portal, the #3 QB has Portalled...the only scholarship QB left on the roster is a true freshman.

The two star WR's (projected early rounders) have opted out, the starting TE, the two starting DE's (one a projected first rounder) have opted out, starting DB's...and on...a quarter of the roster.

A meaningless exhibition game after a hard fought undefeated season...I can't blame the kids, especially those preparing for the pro's. But we will get to see some fresh faces, true freshmen...

Reaction Score
OMG...Will the Orange Bowl be ugly...

FSU has 11 starter opt outs so far...but what hurts is the #1 QB is injured, the #2 QB just announced ( after two weeks of practice ) that he has hit the Portal, the #3 QB has Portalled...the only scholarship QB left on the roster is a true freshman.

The two star WR's (projected early rounders) have opted out, the starting TE, the two starting DE's (one a projected first rounder) have opted out, starting DB's...and on...a quarter of the roster.

A meaningless exhibition game after a hard fought undefeated season...I can't blame the kids, especially those preparing for the pro's. But we will get to see some fresh faces, true freshmen...
Finish for 13 right? That was their mantra until reality set in. I really hate to see games like the Orange Bowl, which used to be such a great event, just become an absolute nothing if it isn't a playoff game. I don't blame anyone for not playing. I also wouldn't blame anyone who didn't buy a ticket to the game.

Reaction Score
College football post season will become playoffs and non-watchable games. Payouts for non-playoffs games will decrease.

Reaction Score
How could the leaders who signed on for this contract not have the foresight to see how horrible it was for the long term? A blind squirrel could have easily found this nut. But ACC schools did not. They were visionless, gutless cowards. And that is on them.

FSU Has Nobody To Blame But Itself
The writer assumes FSU voted yes on the original and updated GOR. Did they?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Finish for 13 right? That was their mantra until reality set in. I really hate to see games like the Orange Bowl, which used to be such a great event, just become an absolute nothing if it isn't a playoff game. I don't blame anyone for not playing. I also wouldn't blame anyone who didn't buy a ticket to the game.

F the Orange Bowl. They should have picked UConn to play VT but went for Luck and Stanford. UConn ends up in Phoenix against Oklahoma.

UConn/VT in Miami and Oklahoma/Stanford in Phoenix made way more sense.

Orange Bowl wanted to be part of this mess. In order to get CFP games you had to join the rotation. Meaning you know some years you get clunkers.

Reaction Score
F the Orange Bowl. They should have picked UConn to play VT but went for Luck and Stanford. UConn ends up in Phoenix against Oklahoma.

Orange Bowl wanted to be part of this mess. In order to get CFP games you had to join the rotation. Meaning you know some years you get clunkers.
had forgotten about that - good point. We would have packed that place.

Reaction Score
Don't you have to sign your rights away?
The conference acts as one even with dissenting schools being part of the agreement, right? That is what happened with Maryland and that gave them some leverage when getting out of the ACC. Will be interesting to see if FSU voted yea or nay. Do you know which way FSU voted on either or both of the GOR votes?

Reaction Score
The conference acts as one even with dissenting schools being part of the agreement, right? That is what happened with Maryland and that gave them some leverage when getting out of the ACC. Will be interesting to see if FSU voted yea or nay. Do you know which way FSU voted on either or both of the GOR votes?
I don't but I'm sure someone representing FSU signed away the school's rights for this. I don't think it is as informal as yay or nay.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't but I'm sure someone representing FSU signed away the school's rights for this. I don't think it is as informal as yay or nay.
At the time it made some sense. It gave the conference stability and the promise of the ACC network seemed to promote visibility for the schools. The problem wasn't the deal it was its length. Even though the ACC is ESPN's house band, the network looks after its own interest. In this case the ACC needed stability which ESPN gave them but as with all deals with the devil it came out of cost.

I haven't read the ACC complaint and have only looked at snippets from FSU complaint, but it appears that FSU is basically saying hey we made a deal but now it sucks and we want out of it at less than the agreed cost.

Not How It Works Season 25 GIF by The Bachelor

Regardless, I'm enjoying the infighting. Hopefully it drags on draining FSU and conference resources and being a persistent distraction.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure every school goes on the record with a vote. In some cases, to show unity, a public vote/press release does not line up with all of the voting party's wishes (i.e. most conference expansions show a public vote of unanimity even though there were one or two schools not agreeing). FSU is now motivated to go public if they dissented or not in their vote(s) for the GOR. I thought I heard that supposedly FSU and possibly other schools were not even allowed to be a part of the updated GOR proceedings; it was done unilaterally by the commissioner or a subset of the conference schools. If that's true, then FSU has a commanding position in all of this. We shall see.

Reaction Score
At the time it made some sense. It gave the conference stability and the promise of the ACC network seemed to promote visibility for the schools. The problem wasn't the deal it was its length. Even though the ACC is ESPN's house band, the network looks after its own interest. In this case the ACC needed stability which ESPN gave them but as with all deals with the devil it came out of cost.

I haven't read the ACC complaint and have only looked at snippets from FSU complaint, but it appears that FSU is basically saying hey we made a deal but now it sucks and we want out of it at less than the agreed cost.

Not How It Works Season 25 GIF by The Bachelor
I don't think it's as basic as that, but I suppose only FSU and ACC leaders know at this point.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't think it's as basic as that, but I suppose only FSU and ACC leaders know at this point.
Lol, of course not the complaint is dozens of pages long and my post only a few words. But, if you look at it, there is an awful lot of pages dedicated to how the ACC deal, with the benefit of hindsight, isn't as lucrative as the Big Ten or the SEC. It isn't, but that's not a get out of jail free card for FSU.

The most interesting part of what I read was FSU's Including in the complaint that Swafford made the deal with Raycom to benefit his son who worked for Raycom. That's been whispered about a lot, but FSU made it front and center in their complaint.

Reaction Score

I hear ya and I would have enjoyed the Orange Bowl as well, but no regrets on this one. I had a great time at the Fiesta Bowl. We had just been in Tampa for the USF game so it wasn’t a problem going to Phoenix. UConn was well-represented and everyone had a blast. Great memories despite the loss.

Reaction Score
Lol, of course not the complaint is dozens of pages long and my post only a few words. But, if you look at it, there is an awful lot of pages dedicated to how the ACC deal, with the benefit of hindsight, isn't as lucrative as the Big Ten or the SEC. It isn't, but that's not a get out of jail free card for FSU.

The most interesting part of what I read was FSU's Including in the complaint that Swafford made the deal with Raycom to benefit his son who worked for Raycom. That's been whispered about a lot, but FSU made it front and center in their complaint.
Agreed - it's looking more and more that there was a good bit of back room dealing and if that's true then that's FSU's settlement leverage right there. The rest won't really matter.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It's kinda crazy to think that the conference all along the Pacific Coast got dismantled this summer and it's possible the one along the Atlantic Coast will get dismantled next summer. The difference will be that only half, if that many, of the ACC schools will find new homes in P2 conferences. I don't see the Big 12 grabbing anyone but who knows? Louisville would be a nice addition along with Pitt.

CL82

Reaction Score
Agreed - it's looking more and more that there was a good bit of back room dealing and if that's true then that's FSU's settlement leverage right there. The rest won't really matter.
I'm not sure it's quite that clear cut, but it's an argument. Did Swofford breach his fiduciary duty? Was FSU aware of his actions at the time? Did they approve or otherwise ratify the Raycom decision? Stay tuned!

Comments Popcorn GIF by HyperX

Reaction Score
It's kinda crazy to think that the conference all along the Pacific Coast got dismantled this summer and it's possible the one along the Atlantic Coast will get dismantled next summer. The difference will be that only half, if that many, of the ACC schools will find new homes in P2 conferences. I don't see the Big 12 grabbing anyone but who knows? Louisville would be a nice addition along with Pitt.
those two would make a lot of sense and would keep WVU happy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom