OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 39 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Reaction Score
Why are these schools even suing? What do they hope to get out of it? Surely the ACC isn't going to just wake up one morning and go "you know what those schools are right, let's give them more money." Why not just honor your side of the deal but make it clear that when it ends you will be exploring other options?
To reduce the settlement that will inevitably happen.

Or to entice enough schools to agree on o implode the conference

Reaction Score
Me, most likely

I enjoy conversing...but don't converse when someone gets personal or ugly...I don't remember Excalibur...but by his acronym use, I could see me saying..."this isn't about sports, it is an attack". Since I can not remember..I have unignored him and he can now ignore me...LOL
Hang tough Billybud, love your takes and more importantly how closely you follow and inform us of the goings on during this insane process. Take the high road and always remember, it's never about you, rather the poster who likes to trash you

Reaction Score
Why are these schools even suing? What do they hope to get out of it? Surely the ACC isn't going to just wake up one morning and go "you know what those schools are right, let's give them more money." Why not just honor your side of the deal but make it clear that when it ends you will be exploring other options?

Fair enough...Clemson and FSU have just asked the courts "what is our side of the deal?"...

The problem for the ACC is that it appears that they have misrepresented just what the deal is...

Through 2036 as they have stated over and over..or through 2026 ? Have they hidden the fact that ESPN only has through 2026 and did not exercise their option to extend to by the date in the ESPN Agreement (2021) ?

Clemson is getting the ESPN Agreement...receipt of the ESPN agreement is still problematic for FSU since, under the law of the state, it will become public information. And the State AG is already suing to enforce the laws of the state.

One might well ask, while you are at it.."why has the whole 161 page ESPN Agreement, that impacts the duties schools owe the conference, been kept top secret...contents hidden from the schools that it effects ?

Trade Secrets ? The whole dang contract ?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
IIRC, the initial dismissal by a Florida court was due to the court not being allowed to 'interpret' until a suit specifically asking the court to do so is brought forward.

It sounds to me that FSU, Clemson and any other member of the conference now has full ability to view wh a's t they claimed they had been prevented from viewing. Unless any school views the confidentiality as unreasonable, there is no reason for things to move forward. The schools can have their legal teams review the documents and then decide if they do or do not have cause to bring a suit (and let the courts decide if the legality of the agreements in question).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Fair enough...Clemson and FSU have just asked the courts "what is our side of the deal?"...

The problem for the ACC is that it appears that they have misrepresented just what the deal is...

Through 2036 as they have stated over and over..or through 2026 ? Have they hidden the fact that ESPN only has through 2026 and did not exercise their option to extend to by the date in the ESPN Agreement (2021) ?

Clemson is getting the ESPN Agreement...receipt of the ESPN agreement is still problematic for FSU since, under the law of the state, it will become public information. And the State AG is already suing to enforce the laws of the state.

One might well ask, while you are at it.."why has the whole 161 page ESPN Agreement, that impacts the duties schools owe the conference, been kept top secret...contents hidden from the schools that it effects ?

Trade Secrets ? The whole dang contract ?

So, this basically comes down to the universities may have been naive and gave the conference full autonomy to negotiate on behalf of the universities and then lock the universities in to the deal the conference negotiated.

OTOH, while holding all those trump cards, the conference may have deceived or withheld info from those same universities.

Reaction Score
FSU has not been able to get a copy of the ESPN Agreement nor has the Florida Attorney General ....In South Carolina, the judge has ordered that Clemson receive within seven days, an unredacted copy of the ESPN Agreement. He has declared that, for now, that it was confidential and could only be reviewed by the attorneys.

No school has the ESPN Agreement as of now.

Florida law and the case law supporting that (as I linked in this thread) mean that if FSU receives a copy of the ESPN Agreement to review than it becomes public information.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe that Judge Cooper, in Florida, will have the ACC/ESPN declare just what in the ESPN contract is a "trade secret"...and surely not the entire contract. Florida law does make an allowance for the protection of trade secrets...but nobody has declared that the whole contract is a trade secret.. The judge will than issue a decision on what is protected and what is not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom