Flashback - Hayes comes up BIG | The Boneyard

Flashback - Hayes comes up BIG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Cal game was huge. UConn started very slowly and Cal was unconscious in that first half. Tiffany kept the game within reach.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So the next time someone post some nonsense about Jeff walz being this great coach I will pull this video out and prove contrary. The game strategy was to give Tiffany the open 3 Point shot fair enough. After she hits 2 or 3 in a row don't you have to adjust and guard her differently. They gave her the same shot from the beginning of the game until near the end of the 4th quarter, when she had already buried your team to the tune of beng 26 points behind. Still shaking my head at this.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great memory. Loved her game. She was never a super star, but she was never a top 5 kid in her class either. And she's had a terrific career in the WNBA so clearly her game was not just valid in college. Highest arc and longest shooter from beyond the arc of anyone player we've ever had...

Reaction Score
So the next time someone post some nonsense about Jeff walz being this great coach I will pull this video out and prove contrary. The game strategy was to give Tiffany the open 3 Point shot fair enough. After she hits 2 or 3 in a row don't you have to adjust and guard her differently. They gave her the same shot from the beginning of the game until near the end of the 4th quarter, when she had already buried your team to the tune of beng 26 points behind. Still shaking my head at this.

Hard to fault Coach Walz's strategy in that game. One must pick your poison when game planning against UConn. Hayes, up to that point in the season, had not demonstrated the three point proficiency she displayed that night.

Reaction Score
Here is the specifically excerpted radio highlight from that night:

Attachments

• Tiffany4-3B.mp4
    791.9 KB · Views: 48
Reaction Score
Tiffany has really had a nice career at Atlanta. She also plays in Spain I believe which is really important for someone trying to make a mark in the WNBA and does well there. That's why I really wish that Faris would have played overseas. It's a way to work on the things that you are not confident about.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hard to fault Coach Walz's strategy in that game. One must pick your poison when game planning against UConn. Hayes, up to that point in the season, had not demonstrated the three point proficiency she displayed that night.
Considering Hayes was a Freshmen I had no issue with that (leave Hayes open) as a going in strategy but to not change it is reminiscent of 2000 NCAA womens championship game. in that game UCONN came off the team bus running backdoor cuts off the double high post. While cutting down the nets after winning the championship UCONN was still running that play and Lady Vols NEVER adjusted. When you watch this game they gave Tiffany more room after she had proven that she could shoot. Doesn't that say you are not trying to win?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tiff was and still is a really good player. She and Kalana were great pieces to complement the All-Americans, Renee, Tina, and Maya.

On that night, Jeff said he was going to make Tiffany the BE FOW. And he did.

Tiff holds the UConn record for scoring 32 points in a half.

Reaction Score
Considering Hayes was a Freshmen I had no issue with that (leave Hayes open) as a going in strategy but to not change it is reminiscent of 2000 NCAA womens championship game. in that game UCONN came off the team bus running backdoor cuts off the double high post. While cutting down the nets after winning the championship UCONN was still running that play and Lady Vols NEVER adjusted. When you watch this game they gave Tiffany more room after she had proven that she could shoot. Doesn't that say you are not trying to win?

Coach Walz entered that game/that season with very few options as far as defending UConn. With Hayes entering the starting lineup after her stellar performance against Louisville, UConn's entire starting lineup consisted of future WNBA players. Most teams would be happy to have an all conference player in their lineup.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Tiffany has really had a nice career at Atlanta. She also plays in Spain I believe which is really important for someone trying to make a mark in the WNBA and does well there. That's why I really wish that Faris would have played overseas. It's a way to work on the things that you are not confident about.
According to this site

http://www.latinbasket.com/Brazil/n...o-Atlanta-Dream,-ex-UNINASSAU/America?Women=1

she has played in Turkey, Israel and Brazil.

Looks like she's going back to Turkey next year.

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/pl...merica/164925?Women=1?PlayerID=164925&women=1

Reaction Score
WhenTE="MilfordHusky, post: 1339362, member: 366"]Tiff was and still is a really good player. She and Kalana were great pieces to complement the All-Americans, Renee, Tina, and Maya.

On that night, Jeff said he was going to make Tiffany the BE FOW. And he did.

Tiff holds the UConn record for scoring 32 points in a half.[/QUOTE]
What game was that and how much did she end up with? Was that game against Duke or UNC she had a good scoring senior year but fell short

Reaction Score
I do not recall Tiffany Hayes scoring 32 points in a half. In her career, she had three 32+ scoring games: A 32 point effort against Holy Cross in her junior year, a game in which she scored 30 points in the first half; She scored 35 points against Syracuse in her senior year followed by a 33 point effort against South Florida, the 68 points in back to back games setting a UConn record.
Ms Hayes' four year stats at Connecticut stand up pretty well against the those currently on The Wall.

Reaction Score
Where is Doty? I know she didn't play WNBA and was working in Nike as of 2013.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I do not recall Tiffany Hayes scoring 32 points in a half. In her career, she had three 32+ scoring games: A 32 point effort against Holy Cross in her junior year, a game in which she scored 30 points in the first half; She scored 35 points against Syracuse in her senior year followed by a 33 point effort against South Florida, the 68 points in back to back games setting a UConn record.
Ms Hayes' four year stats at Connecticut stand up pretty well against the those currently on The Wall.
I do recall those last two games. Wish I had them taped.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks for correcting me. Tiff had 32 overall, but "only" 30 at halftime. It's still a lot of points and the UConn record. As noted, she also has the 2-game record.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Tip Hayes website... she has a few T-shirts for sale LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads