Flagg to Duke. Official | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Flagg to Duke. Official

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Doesn’t matter if we had the pick of the portal we would’ve gotten timberlake. I still rather have spencer though
In the real world, you're not going to get every kid. We're doing fine right now. Flagg was always a longshot given the kids history as a Duke fan. Tough to draw many conclusions from that, other than the fact that the program has now become a choice for top kids.

Reaction Score
In the real world, you're not going to get every kid. We're doing fine right now. Flagg was always a longshot given the kids history as a Duke fan. Tough to draw many conclusions from that, other than the fact that the program has now become a choice for top kids.
We do a great job winning championships without getting the pick of the litter. I don’t think we’ll ever be that level of program that gets whoever they want

Reaction Score
It’s swinging and missing while other dudes we should be going for sit on the bench.

We should have not treated instate dream school recruit Tyler Betsey as an afterthought.
Why would you assume we did?

Reaction Score
Want to gag? The Brotherhood? Yuck.

“I think after I got on campus at Duke, I really started to feel it, to be honest,” he says. “That’s something the coaches definitely stressed to me, that once you get to campus, it’s something you have to feel. And [I knew then] I wanted to go to Duke and that’s where I wanted to play college basketball. What went into the decision, I mean, I was just looking for a coaching staff I was really comfortable with, but [also] a coach and staff that was really going to hold me accountable. Being on the visit, I got to see them in practice, and see how they were holding their guys accountable, and really pushing them to be better. For me, ever since I was a little kid, I always had dreams of playing Division I basketball at the highest level. Especially with a place like Duke, once we got to campus, we felt it.

“I’m honored that I have the opportunity to join The Brotherhood, and hopefully I’ll be one of the players that recruits are looking at some day and someone they can see themselves being. Especially from all the love I saw this last weekend when I was there, it made me really excited, all the [Cameron] Crazies and the fans. I think it’s going to be a really exciting year and [fans] should just get ready because I know that I’m all about winning, so I’m trying to keep that winning culture that Duke has.”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Want to gag? The Brotherhood? Yuck.

“I think after I got on campus at Duke, I really started to feel it, to be honest,” he says. “That’s something the coaches definitely stressed to me, that once you get to campus, it’s something you have to feel. And [I knew then] I wanted to go to Duke and that’s where I wanted to play college basketball. What went into the decision, I mean, I was just looking for a coaching staff I was really comfortable with, but [also] a coach and staff that was really going to hold me accountable. Being on the visit, I got to see them in practice, and see how they were holding their guys accountable, and really pushing them to be better. For me, ever since I was a little kid, I always had dreams of playing Division I basketball at the highest level. Especially with a place like Duke, once we got to campus, we felt it.

“I’m honored that I have the opportunity to join The Brotherhood, and hopefully I’ll be one of the players that recruits are looking at some day and someone they can see themselves being. Especially from all the love I saw this last weekend when I was there, it made me really excited, all the [Cameron] Crazies and the fans. I think it’s going to be a really exciting year and [fans] should just get ready because I know that I’m all about winning, so I’m trying to keep that winning culture that Duke has.”

dead to me GIF

Reaction Score
One door closes another could open up. I wonder how TJ Power (5 star 2023 recruit from Shrewsbury, MA) is going to feel sitting on the bench for 2 straight seasons? Depending how this season goes he may think about coming home.

Reaction Score
One door closes another could open up. I wonder how TJ Power (5 star 2023 recruit from Shrewsbury, MA) is going to feel sitting on the bench for 2 straight seasons? Depending how this season goes he may think about coming home.
After alex goes first round in the draft we’ll have an opening ;)

Reaction Score
Pouring all of our resources into Ngongba and Flagg and getting neither
I had similar concerns leading up to this outcome. With that said, it made sense to go hard after Flagg since he's from New England, showed interest in us and would have been a good program fit. As for Ngongba, we were on him for quite a while, got a commitment from his cousin, was a good fit for a big need.

With that said, you play with fire when all of your eggs are in the same basket with the top blue blood programs. UConn's success has been built on the backs of under-ranked recruits who end up better than where they were ranked coming out of high school.

It seems to make sense for Hurley and the staff to have kept some irons in the fire with players ranked between 25 and 75, though that may be a challenge when those type of recruits see the program also going after players at the same position who would likely take their playing time or that program dropping them once they secured a commitment from the higher rank player.

One would think that after coming off a national championship we'd have a lot more top 100 interested recruits. Is where we stand right now the result of the staff not pursuing those type of recruits or a lack of Interest or recruits not seeing a path with top 20 competition being pursued a lot harder than them.

My inclination is Hurley and his staff might want to work a little harder recruiting the middle of the top 100 in addition to going after one or two top recruits that they have a shot at. Maybe this is lesson learned. We did land one of the top guards (Nowell #30) already, but landing multiple top third players in the same class is not something that has happened often or ever at uconn. Note that we did not secure any fall official visits except for Flagg and Ngongba. Maybe casting a wider net next time around is a lesson learned.

There's still the transfer portal, international pool and recruits that are either uncommitted or shake loose next spring to fill whatever needs they might have.

Reaction Score
OK with me. I prefer to win with four stars and guys who grind it out.

Reaction Score

They're actually 2 very different players in terms of style, so they both could be on the court at the same time. But Duke is bringing in a truckload of talent at the wings, so we'll have to see how it effects him.

Reaction Score
On a side note.....I believe that Duke will play at BC next season.....I assume that they would switch that game to TD Garden?
They won't move the game to the Garden. Duke is BC's most attractive game on the schedule and they need it to sell season tickets. And, with the ACC expanding next season, it's unclear what BC's schedule will be next year and Duke may not play at BC.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Foregone conclusion. Had he stayed in 2025 we might have had a shot, because Duke has to take the Boozers.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
The kid visits the two schools he was interested in and decided on the one he liked the best. We weren't being trolled or played with. This is how the vast majority of recruitments go. I've followed dozens upon dozens of recruitments--the first one I got really into following was probably in 2013. As far as recruitments go, this was about standard. He cut schools when he knew he wasn't interested in them (Kansas) and didn't even do the whole dramatic announcement reveal thing.

Hurley, Kimani, Tom and Luke are not idiots. They wouldn't spend half our recruiting budget flying to Florida once a week unless there was a chance. Flagg seriously considered Storrs but ultimately decided that Duke had more to offer right now. It is what it is.

Would you consider it a "dirty recruitment" that Clingan visited Michigan even though it was mostly written in stone he was UConn-bound? No... he was actually interested in Michigan, but the pitch wasn't enough to sway him from the team he had the better connection to.

I seem to remember you saying you have teenage kids. If so, you're really too old for this kind of tantrum.
I never said it was dirty but at least I tried to articulate my disappointment. Compared to some of the posts I would say I said it as nicely as I could. But I did learn a lesson. I usually don’t get caught up on the recruits until they commit. I will go back to that process. And if you play for Dook you could be a saint but you will still be an enemy.

Reaction Score
How quickly we forget that to do it "right", it's a process. Remember back in 2020 when Hurley took a ragtag bunch of players into Philly & almost knocked off big bad 'Nova? "They better get us now...because it's coming..." And here we are just 3 years later as National Champs.

We wouldn't have gotten the time of day from a 5* Generational Talent even 1-2 years ago. Now, we are in that players' Top 2 list and (possibly) had a major part in that recruit cancelling his visit to Kansas after our visit.

Top 5 recruits are icing on the cake at this point...we can win at the highest level without them and developing recruits in the 10-50 range is a tried and true recipe for success in the best basketball conference and in the NCAAT.

I'll finish this post with a possible & tasty schadenfreude plot twist...

Scheyer & Duke underachieve again this year and Cooper realizes the "Brotherhood" isn't actually all that...decommits in the Spring and joins the real Blue Blood team for Fall 2024! Manifest this!

Reaction Score
“I look at our recruiting, obviously we have to stick to our identity and what’s worked for us because it’s worked, the range we’ve recruited in has paid dividends,” Hurley said. “But then you’re also evaluating each recruiting class and its relative strength and what you should go for in a class. There may be incredible value in the 52nd-ranked player in the country in a class, to you maybe is a guy who’s a two-year player and you love his ability. Then, maybe in another class, a player that’s in that range you may not like and say, ‘I’m gonna shoot higher and if I don’t win there I’m going to the portal because I don’t think this high school player can help us.’ I think it’s just, you’ve got to adapt and you’ve got to look at each class differently.”

Alternate access:
Nation’s top recruit Cooper Flagg chooses Duke over UConn

Reaction Score
I never said it was dirty but at least I tried to articulate my disappointment. Compared to some of the posts I would say I said it as nicely as I could. But I did learn a lesson. I usually don’t get caught up on the recruits until they commit. I will go back to that process. And if you play for Dook you could be a saint but you will still be an enemy.

You didn't call it dirty, but you said it was a "troll job" and alluded to their "still being questions" about this recruitment. That isn't just expressing your disappointment, big guy. If that isn't calling it dirty, what is?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom