fla- pitts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

fla- pitts

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Living in Pgh, I'll take the other perspective...

1. Any time Pitt is in the tourney - which is all but one in Dixon's 11-year reign - means less time sportstalk hosts spend on the Steelers (whom I can't stand).
2. There's no NBA here (nor should there be), but it's funny to hear yinzers get bent out of shape that any journalist is spending one second on talking/writing about basketball.
3. Even discounting our lost APR year, Dixon's been to the tourney more than our Huskies since 2004. 10 NCAAs and one CBI.
4. Their fans are more understanding to our plight than every other OBE defector.
5. The ZOO really is kinda awesome for a team with zero championships (and unlike Cuse, fans don't mention their two Helms banners).
6. I wrote a post earlier today on PantherLair encouraging them, which outlined that it took JC 11 years to get to the FF (not counting Northeastern) and the six times UConn lost to a lower seed during JC's reign (four as a 1 or 2 seed). Based on sheer talent levels, an argument could be made that Dixon has done more with less because we got knocked out ourselves a few times by much less talented teams.

Yeah, three SS and one EE in 11 years isn't much when you've been a four seed or higher five times. And Dixon has his faults (micromanaging, not giving talented frosh enough minutes, soft OOC scheduling, etc.), but Pitt could do a whole lot worse. Plus Dixon was expecting Stephen Adams to still be there this year and they lost their sixth man halfway through the season.

I know some of y'all hate them for reasons beyond just hoops, but Dixon has a formula that works pretty well. He's got the highest winning percentage all-time of anyone with 200 games under their belt. At some point he'll bust through.

That's all. I root for them when it doesn't have a negative effect on UConn. I don't expect you guys to understand.

But in my defense, I also bring up KEA thumping his chest on the scorer's table at every chance.

(as I'm writing this, can't help but wonder... why does everyone else look so much better vs. Ville than we do?)

Reaction Score
Every year I pick Pitt in my bracket to make the Final Four. Every year they let me down. I don't understand how they don't do better, especially considering their style.

Reaction Score
Living in Pgh, I'll take the other perspective...

1. Any time Pitt is in the tourney - which is all but one in Dixon's 11-year reign - means less time sportstalk hosts spend on the Steelers (whom I can't stand).
2. There's no NBA here (nor should there be), but it's funny to hear yinzers get bent out of shape that any journalist is spending one second on talking/writing about basketball.
3. Even discounting our lost APR year, Dixon's been to the tourney more than our Huskies since 2004. 10 NCAAs and one CBI.
4. Their fans are more understanding to our plight than every other OBE defector.
5. The ZOO really is kinda awesome for a team with zero championships (and unlike Cuse, fans don't mention their two Helms banners).
6. I wrote a post earlier today on PantherLair encouraging them, which outlined that it took JC 11 years to get to the FF (not counting Northeastern) and the six times UConn lost to a lower seed during JC's reign (four as a 1 or 2 seed). Based on sheer talent levels, an argument could be made that Dixon has done more with less because we got knocked out ourselves a few times by much less talented teams.

Yeah, three SS and one EE in 11 years isn't much when you've been a four seed or higher five times. And Dixon has his faults (micromanaging, not giving talented frosh enough minutes, soft OOC scheduling, etc.), but Pitt could do a whole lot worse. Plus Dixon was expecting Stephen Adams to still be there this year and they lost their sixth man halfway through the season.

I know some of y'all hate them for reasons beyond just hoops, but Dixon has a formula that works pretty well. He's got the highest winning percentage all-time of anyone with 200 games under their belt. At some point he'll bust through.

That's all. I root for them when it doesn't have a negative effect on UConn. I don't expect you guys to understand.

But in my defense, I also bring up KEA thumping his chest on the scorer's table at every chance.

(as I'm writing this, can't help but wonder... why does everyone else look so much better vs. Ville than we do?)

I think I smell a hanging:p

Reaction Score
They have not been able to get many NBA bound players and you generally kind of need them in this tourney. Patterson and Zanna could get a cup of coffee. They play a very not exiting boring brand which keeps them in games and wins quite a bit, but I think they are in danger of becoming BC or Wake. Duke and NC are for them having a bad year so far and they gonna reload with NBA'ers next year and beyond. If Dixon leaves they are screwed and he could be offered something higher profile. Pitt fans must live in fear of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom