Five Schools Still Eligible for Dual Championships | The Boneyard

Five Schools Still Eligible for Dual Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Schools still eligible for a Dual Championship along with their Seeding.

Notre Dame #1 WBB #3 MBB
North Carolina #4 WBB #4 MBB
Louisville #3 WBB #4 MBB
Duke #4 WBB #1 MBB
Gonzaga #11 WBB #2 MBB

The above schools usually have good Men and Women's BB Programs.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Any not named Kentucky have zero chance of pulling off the UCONN daily double, meaning nobody is going to do it this season. We still own it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think ND has the best chance, but I'd hate to see them win either side. None of the other schools has a chance on the women's side.

Reaction Score
Excuse me who has a remote chance of beat UConns Womens BB team? answers (a) no one (b) no one (c) no one (d) all of the above

It aint happenin

Stanford did.

An ND or a South Carolina could do it. In a 10 game series, UConn wins 9 times. But you never know when that 10th game pops up.

In 1985, there was no way Villanova could beat Georgetown either. Except the Wildcats shots something like 80% in the 2nd half that night and won. Ditto NC State against Houston in 1983. But they did.

It would take an almost perfect performance on the part of an ND or SC and a C level performance on the part of the Huskies, which makes it extremely unlikely, but not impossible.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Thursday we lost North Carolina as a school eligible for Dual Championships

After Friday's games still have four schools Notre Dame, Louisville, Duke and Gonzaga All four schools were favored to win their Friday Games.

Now on to Saturday. Notre Dame Men play Kentucky, Duke women play Maryland and Gonzaga Women play Lady Vols All are Underdogs.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Stanford did.

An ND or a South Carolina could do it. In a 10 game series, UConn wins 9 times. But you never know when that 10th game pops up.

In 1985, there was no way Villanova could beat Georgetown either. Except the Wildcats shots something like 80% in the 2nd half that night and won. Ditto NC State against Houston in 1983. But they did.

It would take an almost perfect performance on the part of an ND or SC and a C level performance on the part of the Huskies, which makes it extremely unlikely, but not impossible.

Compeltely disagree - In 1985 - It was easy to see that Villanova could beat Georgetown. The seniors on Villanova were totally in control. That was not really an upset if you had watched the BE regular season - it was bound to happen.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
This afternoon we lost both Louisville and Duke as their Women Teams Lost

That leaves only Notre Dame and Gonzaga as eligible to win Dual Championships.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Compeltely disagree - In 1985 - It was easy to see that Villanova could beat Georgetown. The seniors on Villanova were totally in control. That was not really an upset if you had watched the BE regular season - it was bound to happen.
Um. Nova barely made the tournament that year it was hardly "bound "to happen. I made enough games at the field house and knew enough of the players to know better.

Reaction Score
I remember 89%. And when a reporter asked how Villanova managed that percentage, Massimino replied, "We missed a shot."

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
On the one hand, I'd be happy to see ND eliminated from the possibility of matching UConn's feat of dual championships. On the other, I dislike Kentucky and wouldn't be saddened to see ND pull off the upset here.

Either way, It just might be up to UConn to beat ND at some point.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure every time a school other than UConn has gotten both teams to the final four, one of the UConn teams beat them to prevent the dual championship.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
2Husky said:
I'm pretty sure every time a school other than UConn has gotten both teams to the final four, one of the UConn teams beat them to prevent the dual championship.

Well, no longer relevant for this year, but yes, UConn women beat Oklahoma in 2002, Texas in 2003 (though not necessary to prevent the dual since Syracuse beat the Texas men), and Louisville in 2013. Any other years when one school other than UConn sent both teams to thir Final Four?

Reaction Score
Well, no longer relevant for this year, but yes, UConn women beat Oklahoma in 2002, Texas in 2003 (though not necessary to prevent the dual since Syracuse beat the Texas men), and Louisville in 2013. Any other years when one school other than UConn sent both teams to thir Final Four?
I think Duke in '99.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Duke in 1999 :oops: Georgia in 1983

Reaction Score

Huh????????????????

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Duke in 1999 :oops: Georgia in 1983
Dominique Wilkins was on that Georgia team and Hugh Durham was their coach. I forget who Andy Landers had on that team - was it Katrina McClain? I was just a youngster back then.

UConnNick

Reaction Score

Not in 1983. Neither UCONN team was in the tournament. Georgia lost to NC State in the men's Final Four at Albuquerque. I don't recall who the Georgia women's team lost to in the FF, but USC won the women's title that season.

UCONN has been the team to beat one or the other on a few occasions. In 1999 we beat Duke on the men's side, but their women's team lost anyway. In 2002 we beat Oklahoma in the women's, which would have prevented the dual championship, but their men's team also lost. Again in 2003, we beat Texas, but their men's team lost anyway. We literally kept the distinction of being the first school to do it alive long enough to do it ourselves.

Up to that time, getting both teams into the FF on both sides was a disaster for all the schools involved. They were collectively 0-8 when it happened. I'm trying to think if any schools other than us have had two teams in the FF in the same season from 2005 to the present. We won the women's but not the men's in 2009. Jerome Dyson got injured and missed the entire last part of that season and the tournaments, although I suspect the men would have lost in the title game to UNC that year even if Dyson had played and we beat Michigan State in the semis (Tar Heel title soon to be vacated due to NCAA eligibility violations???).

If nobody else has done it, we also own the distinction of being the first school to win at least one of the two titles in a year when both teams make it. If I'm not missing some years since 2004, our record is 5-1 when both of our teams make it to the FF. Everybody else's is 0-8. That's truly astounding.

We're the hungry Huskies, who've pulled the daily double not once, but twice is nice!

Reaction Score
Schools with both teams in the Final Four has happened ten times. UConn has done it four times (2004, 2009, 2011, 2014) and six other teams (Georgia (1983), Duke (1999), Oklahoma (2002), Texas (2003), Michigan State (2005), and LSU (2006)) have done it once each. UConn, with 12 victories against 2 defeats, is the only school with a winning record when both programs reach the Final Four. Duke is even at 2-2. Both Michigan State and Oklahoma are 1-2. Georgia, Texas, and LSU are 0-2.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
RegisteredUconn said:
Schools with both teams in the Final Four has happened ten times. UConn has done it four times (2004, 2009, 2011, 2014) and six other teams (Georgia (1983), Duke (1999), Oklahoma (2002), Texas (2003), Michigan State (2005), and LSU (2006)) have done it once each. UConn, with 12 victories against 2 defeats, is the only school with a winning record when both programs reach the Final Four. Duke is even at 2-2. Both Michigan State and Oklahoma are 1-2. Georgia, Texas, and LSU are 0-2.

Don't forget Louisville in 2013. In that year, of course, both teams made the NC game, with their men winning and the women getting shelled.

Reaction Score
Don't forget Louisville in 2013. In that year, of course, both teams made the NC game, with their men winning and the women getting shelled.
You are correct, of course. I had it written down then promptly forgot about them. We're not the only school whose teams have a winning record when both appear in the FF. Louisville is 2-1.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Unless I've missed any, I think this is a complete list of dual Final Four schools with the individual championship results per year:

2014 - UCONN (2-0)
2013 - Louisville (1-1, men's) (UCONN prevented Louisville from becoming the second team to win dual champs by defeating the Louisville women in the title game)
2011 - UCONN (1-1, men's)
2006 - LSU (0-2)
2005 - Mich. St. (0-2)
2004 - UCONN (2-0)
2003 - Texas (0-2) (UCONN women's team knocks Texas out of FF)
2002 - Oklahoma (0-2) (UCONN women insure no women's title by beating OK in champ game)
1999 - UCONN (2-0) (UCONN men insure no men's title by beating Duke in champ game)
Duke (0-2)
1983- Georgia (0-2)

Interesting that it happened five years in a row from 2002 to 2006 and nobody but UCONN ever one either title during that stretch. UCONN's overall championships record is 5-1. Louisville is 1-1 for their only season. Everybody else is 0-fer both titles every time. The overall championships record for all schools not named UCONN is a woeful 1-13. Unless you're named UCONN, it's been the kiss of death.

It will be a very long time, if ever, that the other schools will collectively improve the overall record to anything coming remotely close to UCONN. It would take a lot of 2-0 performances, and since that has only been done twice in the 34 year history of dual NCAA BB tournaments, it's not likely to happen any time soon.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
1999 UConn Women did not make the Final Four Final Four teams were Purdue, Duke, La Tech and Georgia. UConn was a #1 seed but lost in the Sweet 16 to Iowa State

Unless I've missed any, I think this is a complete list of dual Final Four schools with the individual championship results per year:

2014 - UCONN (2-0)
2013 - Louisville (1-1, men's) (UCONN prevented Louisville from becoming the second team to win dual champs by defeating the Louisville women in the title game)
2011 - UCONN (1-1, men's)
2006 - LSU (0-2)
2005 - Mich. St. (0-2)
2004 - UCONN (2-0)
2003 - Texas (0-2) (UCONN women's team knocks Texas out of FF)
2002 - Oklahoma (0-2) (UCONN women insure no women's title by beating OK in champ game)
1999 - UCONN (2-0) (UCONN men insure no men's title by beating Duke in champ game)
Duke (0-2)
1983- Georgia (0-2)

Interesting that it happened five years in a row from 2002 to 2006 and nobody but UCONN ever one either title during that stretch. UCONN's overall championships record is 5-1. Louisville is 1-1 for their only season. Everybody else is 0-fer both titles every time. The overall championships record for all schools not named UCONN is a woeful 1-13. Unless you're named UCONN, it's been the kiss of death.

It will be a very long time, if ever, that the other schools will collectively improve the overall record to anything coming remotely close to UCONN. It would take a lot of 2-0 performances, and since that has only been done twice in the 34 year history of dual NCAA BB tournaments, it's not likely to happen any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom