Fisher:''I still think we were better than Connecticut when they won the national championship,'' | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fisher:''I still think we were better than Connecticut when they won the national championship,''

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If he really said that:
Sooooo, what game was he watching? It wasn't like his team played poorly, they were just beat by a better team. Oh wait, isn't this the same coach that couldn't win it all with Chris Webber, Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard, and a bunch of other stud players? Hmmmm, maybe it is time to take a good long look in a mirror.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
I'll just leave this here:

I love when kemba dove for the ball in the first half, he just wanted it more!!
The only play that might be better then that was when lamb stole the ball threw it to bazz and bazz said no no you did the work you finish it baby!!

Reaction Score
The step back jumper and skip-step blow-bye drive to the hoop by Kemba was unstoppable. I'm glad to see Shabazz has molded his games after him. He's not quite Kemba, but he looks remarkably similar.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Sorry Steve, we were 7 points better and that is the only measuring stick that counts.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I still think we were better than Florida and George Mason.

We were a lot like that Mason team in 2011. Not in terms of overall talent- we had much more- but the idea that we were a team of destiny. Once our train got rolling in 2011, no one was stopping us. A lot like that Mason team.

If we played 100 times vs that Mason team in 2006, we win 99 times but not the day it mattered. They were rolling.

Same with us and SDSU in 2011. They may have beaten us 60 out of 100 times, but that day they were never going to beat us.

Reaction Score
Why would a coach admit that he got outcoached and his team outplayed. Superficially it sounds like he's downing our 2011 champs, but in reality he's downing his own skill and his players performance, awful quote for a coach.

Reaction Score
Its shame how Calhoun ruined him. :rolleyes:
I never said or implied that, but to suggest he wasn't a valuable contributor to our last national championship is silly.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with him saying that. As stated earlier, our rings tell the truth. Hell even my wife even says delusional things about me, I'm just very good at ignoring stupid shiiiiit. Sometimes I'll even tell her she's right to not hear any more of it.

Hell some people here post that we are better team than Louisville this year....just saying.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Was his reason/ultimate goal to compete for another Nat'l Championship? Think if Ollie became the coach before the mass exodus, these guys would've stayed regardless of sanctions?

Looking at the guys now, they take well to Ollie but you never know if UConn would've performed a coaching search had the retirement been announced earlier...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with him. San Diego State was the team in UConn's bracket that scared me the most. They were a very good team that could have definitely won the National Championship that year.

Scoreboard.

San Diego wasn't even the best team we played in that regional. Arizona was a far better team than the Aztecs.

One place where Fisher (and many SDSU fans) get lost in the debate is that Jeremy Lamb in March was a far superior player than the November version. It could be argued (if you are being generous to SDSU) that it was a tossup as to who had the best player on the court that evening; UConn with Kemba or SDSU with Leonard (again, being geneous to SDSU as in reality it wasn't a tossup). Once you got past those two, the talent and depth tilted in UConn's favor. Yes, it was closer than I would have liked until the final few minutes and they deserve some praise for that but considering the home court advantage along with our extreme youth (outside of Kemba), if they were the better team the outcome would have been far different.

Reaction Score
I have no real problem with Fisher's comment. Many coaches and teams think it each March.

But it is what it is ...single elimination ends in one NC ... which makes winning it so hard.

FWIW....Arizona is the one team we beat that year (Kentucky the next one) that I am not sure how we pulled it out and am glad it was not a seven game series... not SD State.

Reaction Score
I have no real problem with Fisher's comment. Many coaches and teams think it each March.

But it is what it is ...single elimination ends in one NC ... which makes winning it so hard.

FWIW....Arizona is the one team we beat that year (Kentucky the next one) that I am not sure how we pulled it out and am glad it was not a seven game series... not SD State.

I just remember how amazing Zona was at rebounding, never saw a team rebound like that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom