First weekend of official visits after dead period in the books. | The Boneyard

First weekend of official visits after dead period in the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
4 new commits by the new staff - Hashemi (CT), Johnson (Florida), Watkins (MD via NJ), and Lawley (British Columbia via NJ).

bow down.gif

Not too shabby a start!

Let's see what this week brings!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jones purportedly was Hashemi's primary recruiter. Who were the other recruits' primary recruiters?

Reaction Score
4 new commits by the new staff - Hashemi (CT), Johnson (Florida), Watkins (MD via NJ), and Lawley (British Columbia via NJ).

View attachment 4814

Not too shabby a start!

Let's see what this week brings!
Not that any recruit should be disparaged, but....

1 recruit flipped from Fordham; 1 recruit had offers from Elon and Coastal Carolina; etc. If this were PP or RE, people would be less than enthused. That said, short time to try and fill out a class and 4 in the first on campus weekend for the new staff is a good thing.

These are great kids with good film and we all hope they have long and productive careers. But I was hoping there could be a flip from a peer group school from a kid Diaco liked but did not have room for at ND and/or a a 5th year transfer in from a P5 school. I am probably unrealistic.

Reaction Score

1 recruit flipped from Fordham; 1 recruit had offers from Elon and Coastal Carolina; etc. If this were PP or RE, people would be less than enthused. That said, short time to try and fill out a class and 4 in the first on campus weekend for the new staff is a good thing.

These are great kids with good film and we all hope they have long and productive careers. But I was hoping there could be a flip from a peer group school from a kid Diaco liked but did not have room for at ND and/or a a 5th year transfer in from a P5 school. I am probably unrealistic.
If there is a flip (from a peer school), I would expect it later rather than in the first week end after a dead period. Diaco wants to sign 18-20 kids. still a ways to go.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
In UConn recruiting circles, those kids are usually late commits that lose a seat at the table with the other schools they're interested in.

Reaction Score
If this were PP or RE, people would be less than enthused.

IMO the "people" who disparage new recruits for any reason aren't people, they are sub-human.

Many knocked Casey as a reach by P or worse, "only offered to appease the ct coaches" right up until the time he led us to three straight wins and set a passing record as a RS Freshman.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In UConn recruiting circles, those kids are usually late commits that lose a seat at the table with the other schools they're interested in.
PSU would be a great example. They have limited scholarships this season and Franklin seems to be bringing in as many of his Vanderbilt guys as he can. As a result, I would expect a few of the previous commits to be left standing when the music is about to end. Maybe BD can make one of them a Husky.

Reaction Score

BFeldmanCBSJan 06, 12:45pm via Web
New #Texas coach Charlie Strong: Let's not get caught up in (recruiting) stars. Let's go get football players & develop em.

BTW: Johnson had offers from Louisville and Georgia Tech as well as Ball State/Marshall.

Reaction Score

We're going to have to start generating some winning records again, on a regular basis, and get back on track to improving to a level higher than we were a few years ago, before we can realistically expect to be considered by recruits of the 5th year transfer etc....characteristics.

The good news is that we're 0-0 so far in 2014, coming off the first multiple game winning streak in 3 years to finish 2013, and we've got a ton of new and young energy and enthusiasm and leadership.

Reaction Score
BFeldmanCBSJan 06, 12:45pm via Web
New #Texas coach Charlie Strong: Let's not get caught up in (recruiting) stars. Let's go get football players & develop em.

BTW: Johnson had offers from Louisville and Georgia Tech as well as Ball State/Marshall.

It's easy to say that when you're Texas. Teams with better recruiting classes end up with better results. I like Diaco a lot, and there's not much he can do with just a few weeks until signing day, but 1 and 2 stars aren't going to cut it.

Reaction Score
It's easy to say that when you're Texas. Teams with better recruiting classes end up with better results. I like Diaco a lot, and there's not much he can do with just a few weeks until signing day, but 1 and 2 stars aren't going to cut it.

I seem to remember former HCRE putting a more than competitive team on the field with 1 an 2 star recruits. The trick is to find the right kids with good measurables and develop the hell out of them. There are a lot of big, fast and motivated kids out there that become terrific players when coached properly. I have a great deal of confidence this staff will be able to develop that type of player

Reaction Score

In our current situation we need coaches who can coach players up. HCBD appears to be a good teacher and motivator. As for stars...we really don't need to revisit this do we? Take a look at our players in the NFL and look to see how many stars they had. We just need more of them.

HCBD and company appear to be better recruiters than we've ever had. Let's talk after he/they are finished with the 2015 class.

Oh and by the way....cough, cough...Donald Thomas. :cool:

Reaction Score
There was a post made earlier today on one of the thread's in here discussing that very issue from Upstater

He said: I'll post one of my favorite recruiting stats. 11 of 41 two-star players from Connecticut made the NFL over a 4-5 year period. That's over 25%, which is much better than the national average of 2%. Knighton is one of the 11.

So I wouldn't be too quick to dis recruits who have "only" two stars next to their names.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I really don't want to rehash the star system since we do that every year since 2003!! That being said, it is not who is recruiting the kids, it is how they fit in the system and can be coached up. That is how FHCRE did it. FHCPP wanted prototype guys and you see where that got us. Look at how one change in offensive line systems killed our running game and once changed back, got it back to decent within the same season. Since none of us are talent evaluators - let's trust the coaches eyes!!

Reaction Score
I don't care how many stars these guys have, I am impressed. The staff landed 4 commits less than one month into their jobs following a 3-9 season for the program. I like the film that I see on all of the guys. This is impressive.

Reaction Score
IMO the "people" who disparage new recruits for any reason aren't people, they are sub-human.

Many knocked Casey as a reach by P or worse, "only offered to appease the ct coaches" right up until the time he led us to three straight wins and set a passing record as a RS Freshman.
Now maybe I'm way off, but I'm pretty sure the VAST majority did not hold that opinion when Cochran committed. He was a highly sought-after QB recruit, who committed to a team that had struggled for a while to find competent QB play. He was almost a savior on this board after he committed. Not really sure where you saw all these people complaining about him being given a scholarship...

Reaction Score
I went on Scout's website and went back a few years for their rankings.
Many of the top QB's only held a clipboard in college. Johnny Manziel only got 3 stars.

Reaction Score
I seem to remember former HCRE putting a more than competitive team on the field with 1 an 2 star recruits. The trick is to find the right kids with good measurables and develop the hell out of them. There are a lot of big, fast and motivated kids out there that become terrific players when coached properly. I have a great deal of confidence this staff will be able to develop that type of player

I want Diaco to better than Edsall. And I think that Diaco absolutely can be better than Edsall.

Reaction Score
There was a post made earlier today on one of the thread's in here discussing that very issue from Upstater

He said: I'll post one of my favorite recruiting stats. 11 of 41 two-star players from Connecticut made the NFL over a 4-5 year period. That's over 25%, which is much better than the national average of 2%. Knighton is one of the 11.

So I wouldn't be too quick to dis recruits who have "only" two stars next to their names.

One of the things about this stat is it's Connecticut kids. Which means the state is underrecruited. These same players would likely be 3 or 4 star kids in better recruited states. So, a 2 star from Conn. might have a better chance of panning out than a 2 star kid from Texas.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
if you look at Edsall's recruiting during his time at UConn, it was pretty poor with the exception of 3 "monster" classes: 2001, 2004 and 2008. We didn't know they would be monster classes when they signed, but those classes all worked out great, and in each case, if memory serves, Edsall got the guys he wanted early.

In some ways, Edsall was like a cheetah. He would get to the antelope first, but couldn't protect his kill because he couldn't close. When he was able to close on his first choices, the results were pretty good.

I think in each case, UConn had something unique to sell that resulted in an immediate upgrade in talent from previous classes. In 2001, it was immediate playing time and the opportunity to someday play in the Big East. In 2004, it was the opportunity to play in the Big East for those kids entire college career. 2008 came on the heels of the first Co-Big East Title, when UConn showed it could play with the big boys.

Since then, we have not had a momentum building event to drive recruiting. We have had what appear to be decent classes under Pasqualoni, but this year looks like it will be a baby step backwards.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Now maybe I'm way off, but I'm pretty sure the VAST majority did not hold that opinion when Cochran committed. He was a highly sought-after QB recruit, who committed to a team that had struggled for a while to find competent QB play. He was almost a savior on this board after he committed. Not really sure where you saw all these people complaining about him being given a scholarship...

This is the way I remember it also. Casey was a 3 star and was considered a nice pick up at the time. I also remember people saying we wouldn't have had a shot at him if it wasn't for PPs relationships with CT coaches. That's why it was odd to me that they burned Boyles redshirt without giving Casey a shot.

Reaction Score
if you look at Edsall's recruiting during his time at UConn, it was pretty poor with the exception of 3 "monster" classes: 2001, 2004 and 2008. We didn't know they would be monster classes when they signed, but those classes all worked out great, and in each case, if memory serves, Edsall got the guys he wanted early.

In some ways, Edsall was like a cheetah. He would get to the antelope first, but couldn't protect his kill because he couldn't close. When he was able to close on his first choices, the results were pretty good.

I think in each case, UConn had something unique to sell that resulted in an immediate upgrade in talent from previous classes. In 2001, it was immediate playing time and the opportunity to someday play in the Big East. In 2004, it was the opportunity to play in the Big East for those kids entire college career. 2008 came on the heels of the first Co-Big East Title, when UConn showed it could play with the big boys.

Since then, we have not had a momentum building event to drive recruiting. We have had what appear to be decent classes under Pasqualoni, but this year looks like it will be a baby step backwards.

No spitting match here my fellow Husky fan but I must have been under a rock for years now. I simply cannot recall UCONN ever having something one would consider a "monster" class. We were never recognized as even having one of the top classes in our conference. Hell if 2008 were what would be considerded a "monster" class they would have been upper classmen and at least gotten to a bowl in spite of Paul and George. This would possibly have them still here. I shudder at the thought.
Again not trying to be a "vampire" over your "monster" class but I have never seen either....

Reaction Score

Wasn't Casey a three star?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't care how many stars these guys have, I am impressed. The staff landed 4 commits less than one month into their jobs following a 3-9 season for the program. I like the film that I see on all of the guys. This is impressive.

Amen to that!

If we can't feel good about what we've seen (in a very short time) from our new football leadership we have issues. I guess some people enjoy self loathing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom