First Tattoo | The Boneyard

First Tattoo

Reaction Score
Hello my fellow ‘yarders. I have a few quick questions. I am in Italy for a vacation and took the plunge and got my first tattoo (at a very cool spot in Rome, definitely do recommend if anyone visits.) But I had a few questions, as the internet seems to contradict itself.

1: What is the consensus/idea on when/if I can play sports soon? I play basketball 2/week usually and soccer once a week. It’s not the end of the world if I can’t for a couple weeks, but that’s how I get my cardio.

2: What is the best way to care for it with products for the first week or so? I got some products in Italy, but want to make sure it’s kept hydrated when I am back. I heard Aquafor and some other stuff but would love to know how veterans feel.

3: If anyone has any other just random recommendations on care, please do let me know!

Thank you all!

Reaction Score
You can pretty much play right away, just depending on size/location you maybe can leave a gauze patch over it slathered in aquafor or similar. I'm a sweaty dude so I couldn't keep a patch on the one on my arm without it falling off and it turned out fine. Just make sure to shower after, dab dry and reapply. For me I really only babied em for a week or so and then they were fine

Don't go in a hot tub for a while after getting one...that messed up my first one

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
7-10 days is fine for when to stop caring for it, but @huskiesNhoos nailed it you can play right away just try to keep it lubed up and out of sun.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
I’d stick with the Aquaphor Healing Ointment. It’s always worked for me and my artist swears by it.

Reaction Score
If you want to be extra careful, avoid basketball for a week or two. One of my tattoos is a Sak Yant I got from a 200 million year old guy on a beach and even be told me to avoid contact sports lol.

Reaction Score
If you want to be extra careful, avoid basketball for a week or two. One of my tattoos is a Sak Yant I got from a 200 million year old guy on a beach and even be told me to avoid contact sports lol.
It’s a pretty small tattoo on my chest. But yeah i’ve seen to avoid for a bit and what others in the thread have said to play and be careful. Just wanted to get multiple opinions.

Reaction Score
It’s a pretty small tattoo on my chest. But yeah i’ve seen to avoid for a bit and what others in the thread have said to play and be careful. Just wanted to get multiple opinions.

Yeah being extra careful is a boring couple weeks. A gnarly infection could get expensive and painful fast.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
You really want to keep sweat off of the area to allow it to heal the best it can. I would say stick with the Aquaphor but do not overdo it, a slight covering is plenty to protect it. I swear by the Saniderm covering, but you are probably past using a product like that. Saniderm is a breathable bandage that you put over the fresh tattoo then remove it 24 hours later to wash the area and put a new Saniderm piece over for the next 3-5 days to allow the tattoo to completely heal. It really alleviates the itching phase and keeps the area hydrated naturally so there is no peeling. I have my entire back and chest covered in tattoos and the Saniderm is great. Before discovering Saniderm I always just used unscented soap and a little Aquaphor.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I'm itching to get back - a Husky tattoo is on the horizon for me in the next few I get

Reaction Score
Hello my fellow ‘yarders. I have a few quick questions. I am in Italy for a vacation and took the plunge and got my first tattoo (at a very cool spot in Rome, definitely do recommend if anyone visits.) But I had a few questions, as the internet seems to contradict itself.

1: What is the consensus/idea on when/if I can play sports soon? I play basketball 2/week usually and soccer once a week. It’s not the end of the world if I can’t for a couple weeks, but that’s how I get my cardio.

2: What is the best way to care for it with products for the first week or so? I got some products in Italy, but want to make sure it’s kept hydrated when I am back. I heard Aquafor and some other stuff but would love to know how veterans feel.

3: If anyone has any other just random recommendations on care, please do let me know!

Thank you all!
Check the Rikers message board.

Reaction Score
Be aware of your surroundings when walking your dog --even on a leash.. Coyotes are being aggressive--waiting in prey-- to attack dogs on leashes in Ct. suburban areas.. Most recent attacks in Farmington Valley by hiking trails/walking trails..

Edit: Re: @mauconnfan comment above.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ora's Amazing Herbal Salve and After Inked's Tattoo Moisturizer are my favorite stuff for keeping it hydrated and feeling good. Hustle Bubbles has a great shower soap too but you may not need it much longer if at all at this point.

You can probably play sports 5-7 days later as long as it doesn't burn. My thigh tattoo would get super hot and burn-y after working out for over a week, which didn't feel too good. After you play sports, just make sure to wash it good with some anti-bacterial soap. Also, you can get on amazon a roll of the film protectors if you really want.

Reaction Score

Thank you all!
Why are you on the Boneyard while in Italy - enjoy all Italy has to offer

Reaction Score
I knew a kid named Sal who got a tattoo of the Italian flag one summer at the jersey shore. The artist was working “upside down” on it and instead of green/white/red left to right it was opposite. Red/white/green.

I think it was the Albanian flag or something. He would tell everyone he liked it and it was “The Flag of Sal”.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Had some low time and was just asking for a little advice. Did 25,000 steps yesterday so I think I earned a quick little post.
If you have a chance I highly recommend having a meal at Antica Peroni, an old brewery that was converted to a restaurant. It's situated kind of between the Trevi fountain and the Pantheon. Excellent food, great atmosphere, great beer selection and exceptionally reasonable prices.

Reaction Score
I had half my arm done in Peru - used Aquafor like folks recommended but mixed it with a tad of bacitracin. Your worst enemy is the sun and letting it heal properly. So long as you're out of the sun you'll be fine.

Reaction Score
I had half my arm done in Peru - used Aquafor like folks recommended but mixed it with a tad of bacitracin. Your worst enemy is the sun and letting it heal properly. So long as you're out of the sun you'll be fine.

I'll be there this summer for 6 weeks unless I get another job before July 1.

Any tips/tricks/advice? Recommendations?

All I've booked is the Inca Trail, a dinner at central in Lima, and a week in the rainforest at a research center. The other 4 weeks of the time is completely wide open.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom