First-round NCAA upsets, by year and by seed | The Boneyard

First-round NCAA upsets, by year and by seed

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I posted this table in the game thread, but I've since updated it with this year's results and I also added a column showing the total number of first-round "upsets" (defined as a win by the lower-seeded team) per year.

This marks the 25th year of the 64-team women's NCAA tournament, so the percentages at the bottom are nice and even.

Data entries represent the winning percentage of the higher-seeded teams (e.g., "0.75" for the 5 vs. 12 would mean that three of the #5 seeds won their first-round game).

upload_2018-3-17_21-4-39.png

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I know this is a lot to ask but is this going to be progressive through each round of the tourney... and can you add a column that indicates conference as well?

Plebe

Reaction Score
I know this is a lot to ask but is this going to be progressive through each round of the tourney... and can you add a column that indicates conference as well?
Ha yes it's a lot to ask ;)

I'd like to do it for subsequent rounds; we'll see.

Not sure what you mean by "a column that indicates conference"? How would one indicate conference in just a single column?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Ha yes it's a lot to ask ;)

I'd like to do it for subsequent rounds; we'll see.

Not sure what you mean by "a column that indicates conference"? How would one indicate conference in just a single column?
After looking at your sheet again I realize my request was insane lol. That is a ton of work. I will work on a sheet tomorrow. I wanted to track how certain conferences do over the long haul and the talent in the top 16. I have just been lazy lol.

Reaction Score
In 1998 which #16 seed beat #1 seed? Thanks.

Plebe

Reaction Score
After looking at your sheet again I realize my request was insane lol. That is a ton of work. I will work on a sheet tomorrow. I wanted to track how certain conferences do over the long haul and the talent in the top 16. I have just been lazy lol.
Yeah that would have to be a separate spreadsheet entirely. I'd want to track two different variables: each conference's overall winning percentage in all tournament games and their performance vis-à-vis their seeding. Certainly doable but will take some work.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Harvard over Stanford

Yes...Harvard beat Stanford. Allison Feaster was fantastic.

I have always thought that game should have an asterisk next to it. Stanford was the #1 seed, for sure, and had an outstanding season...but if I recall correctly, two of their stars were injured and did not play in that historic upset.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I have always thought that game should have an asterisk next to it. Stanford was the #1 seed, for sure, and had an outstanding season...but if I recall correctly, two of their stars were injured and did not play in that historic upset.

That is correct.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Yes...Harvard beat Stanford. Allison Feaster was fantastic.

Agreed. Harvard was badly underseeded and Stanford was a 21-5 team that somehow nabbed a 1 seed. They were without their best player, Kristin Folkl, who helped turn their season around. With Folkl they went 19-1, without her they went 2-5.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Agreed. Harvard was badly underseeded and Stanford was a 21-5 team that somehow nabbed a 1 seed. They were without their best player, Kristin Folkl, who helped turn their season around. With Folkl they went 19-1, without her they went 2-5.
Yes, but IIRC both the unexpected losses happened late. One in the conference tourney (which purportedly they didn't completely divulge) and the other in practice after they were seeded.

Feaster was a beast. I just heard from a friend that she went on to an almost 20 year pro career, mostly overseas.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
The sharp drop from 4 vs 13 to 5 vs 12 shows what a big difference home court makes.

Great work!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom