First Openly Gay NFL player comes out | The Boneyard

First Openly Gay NFL player comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Brave young man. Hope it becomes a non issue quickly, but I doubt it. After you read/hear about his life and family growing up, like he said, this is nothing.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Very cool. It will be interesting to see how this impacts where he is drafted.

A lot of credit to the HC. He kept the team focused on what was important.

Good luck to Sam. He is very brave.

Reaction Score
Can't wait until the nfl draft in April, kid was projected a hi draft pick

Reaction Score
Can't wait until the nfl draft in April, kid was projected a hi draft pick

No he wasn't. Have seen on a few sites he was projected to go from the 4th to 7th round.

Courageous guy. I have a ton of respect for him and hope he does well.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
No he wasn't. Have seen on a few sites he was projected to go from the 4th to 7th round.

Courageous guy. I have a ton of respect for him and hope he does well.

I've seen as high as third round.

Reaction Score
I've seen as high as third round.
That seems like the high end from everything I've seen. He's a bit of a tweener unfortunately. Not really big enough to be a DE and doesn't seem to have enough speed to be a top prospect as a rush LB. He is definitely still a legitimate NFL prospect, but I think realistically he was going to be in that mid-to-late round range.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It's amazing that the defensive player of the year in the best conference is considered a 5th or 6th round pick according to Feldman's sources. Nothing to do with his being gay, because that was forecasted before he came out...just amazing that he was that successful in the SEC yet he is only considered a top 200 talent. I would guess Smallwood will be drafter earlier.

Who would have thought that Smallwood would have been drafted before the top defensive player in the SEC?

Anyway....good luck to Sam...I am sure someone with his determination will do well in the NFL.

Reaction Score
That seems like the high end from everything I've seen. He's a bit of a tweener unfortunately. Not really big enough to be a DE and doesn't seem to have enough speed to be a top prospect as a rush LB. He is definitely still a legitimate NFL prospect, but I think realistically he was going to be in that mid-to-late round range.

4.7 for a 260 pound guy really is top NFL speed, especially if he plays faster. He's bigger than Dumervil. He projects as a Mark Anderson type speed rusher. Though he's short for the position (6'2") he has very long arms.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Be curious to see if/when any gay players currently in the NFL will come out to support him.

My guess is as soon as it becomes clear he'd make an NFL team.

Reaction Score
Peter Kings mmqb, is an interesting read on the topic. One GM, is saying he is not a very good player and doubts he gets drafted. If he doesnt get drafted will people say it was because he was gay?

Reaction Score

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The quicker it becomes a non-issue, the better it will be. Unfortunately, it will never be a non-issue, whether the media keeps it alive (i.e. When he's drafted - which stock just took a tumble - he will be the gay DE from Missouri). or fans on their respective message board (e.g. Chistian Ponder just got sack by the gay guy).

Like it or not, politics exist in the draft room as well as the locker room and this creates a needless distraction. Unless Sims is a consensus top 5 pick (which he is not), baggage is a tiebreaker when choosing to draft a guy or pick up a free agent.

Reaction Score
4.7 for a 260 pound guy really is top NFL speed, especially if he plays faster. He's bigger than Dumervil. He projects as a Mark Anderson type speed rusher. Though he's short for the position (6'2") he has very long arms.
Where are you seeing that number? Everything I've read about him is not great speed, lack of pass rush moves, too small to be a DE. I guess we'll see at the combine though, because all these reported 40-times are notoriously overstated.

Reaction Score
Peter Kings mmqb, is an interesting read on the topic. One GM, is saying he is not a very good player and doubts he gets drafted. If he doesnt get drafted will people say it was because he was gay?
If he doesn't get drafted it probably will be. He may not be a great prospect, but he is a legitimate NFL prospect from everything I've read.

Reaction Score
Where are you seeing that number? Everything I've read about him is not great speed, lack of pass rush moves, too small to be a DE. I guess we'll see at the combine though, because all these reported 40-times are notoriously overstated.

I read that as his 40. It was actually reported as 4.72

Reaction Score
If he doesn't get drafted it probably will be. He may not be a great prospect, but he is a legitimate NFL prospect from everything I've read.
He should have waited to announce this till after he was drafted.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ns-of-draft-day-drop-for-michael-sam/related/

"Because Sam had come out to his teammates already, one person Thamel and Evans spoke to said that 90 percent of teams already knew and had dropped Sam on their draft boards as a result. Others said that the NFL would be ready for an openly gay player “in the coming decade or two” and that being openly gay would “break a tie” with another player going before Sam. An NFL assistant said Sam’s move was not a smart one."

Reaction Score
He should have waited to announce this till after he was drafted.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ns-of-draft-day-drop-for-michael-sam/related/

"Because Sam had come out to his teammates already, one person Thamel and Evans spoke to said that 90 percent of teams already knew and had dropped Sam on their draft boards as a result. Others said that the NFL would be ready for an openly gay player “in the coming decade or two” and that being openly gay would “break a tie” with another player going before Sam. An NFL assistant said Sam’s move was not a smart one."

Given the rumors, he was forced into it.

Reaction Score
ESPN will not let this fade for months.

He has the dreaded "tweener" tag, but damn the measurables. Kid was co-defensive player of the year in the SEC as a DE. I hope the Raiders grab him mid draft. 5th round would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom