Finally healthy, Storm’s Sue Bird enjoys career resurgence | The Boneyard

Finally healthy, Storm’s Sue Bird enjoys career resurgence

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
So happy for Sue and her many fans. She is just so much fun to watch.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
15 points and 5 assists tonight, including the dagger with 7 seconds to go.

Reaction Score
In addition to being physically healthy, Sue is probably energized by playing with Stewie and Jewell. They are outstanding talents.

Just in time for the Olympics---what would the Olympics be with out Bird running the show?? What WILL it be??

Reaction Score
To think that SB has been a pro for 15 years since UConn is beyond my imagination. I am rooting for team USA but in particular for all the UConn players. It's just me being very narrow minded.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I have to say, I was wrong about Bird heading into this year. She has way more left in the tank than I had e.xpected.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In addition to being physically healthy, Sue is probably energized by playing with Stewie and Jewell. They are outstanding talents.

The "training wheels" have yet to come off for Jewel Loyd. I watched a Storm game several nights ago. The play-by-play announcer noticed (and mentioned) that the game was not flowing smoothly, because Bird was on the bench.

Loyd cannot yet run the team/execute the offense like Bird can. He said that Loyd can't see the floor yet like Bird does. This should not be an indictment against Loyd, she's still learning. Bird was running this offense when

Loyd was in elementary school. One day soon, Loyd will master the Storm's offense, and run it as smooth as Bird does. Loyd is a very special talent whose cream will very soon rise to the top.

Reaction Score
I have to say, I was wrong about Bird heading into this year. She has way more left in the tank than I had e.xpected.
Having a sidekick to replace Lauren Jackson especially one from Uconn like Stewie, has sent Sue " Back To The Future"!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The "training wheels" have yet to come off for Jewel Loyd. I watched a Storm game several nights ago. The play-by-play announcer noticed (and mentioned) that the game was not flowing smoothly, because Bird was on the bench.

Loyd cannot yet run the team/execute the offense like Bird can. He said that Loyd can't see the floor yet like Bird does. This should not be an indictment against Loyd, she's still learning. Bird was running this offense when

Loyd was in elementary school. One day soon, Loyd will master the Storm's offense, and run it as smooth as Bird does. Loyd is a very special talent whose cream will very soon rise to the top.
I just don't see Loyd being the answer at PG for Seattle - she is a shooting guard with some PG skills. They are going to need to find a PG in the next two years. And I am not trying to knock Loyd, she is just much better at hunting her own offense than she is as the orchestrator for the whole team. They sent Renee to MN where she has bloomed, but they could certainly use her now playing the way she has this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jewell can be a mega-star at SG, but she's not a PG. I think Monica Wright, if healthy, is the better option as the back-up PG.

Sue admits that she wasn't all that good the past 2 years. She's lean, fit, and healthy this year. And she's playing great basketball. She and Stewie look like Stockton and Malone at their peak.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I just don't see Loyd being the answer at PG for Seattle - she is a shooting guard with some PG skills. They are going to need to find a PG in the next two years. And I am not trying to knock Loyd, she is just much better at hunting her own offense than she is as the orchestrator for the whole team. They sent Renee to MN where she has bloomed, but they could certainly use her now playing the way she has this year.

If the Storm feel as you do, they will find someone that can fill Birdie's shoes (via the draft, or a trade.........Renee?). They let Noelle Quinn get away, but got her back via trade several days ago. Sometimes you don't miss something or someone (or realize their value) until they're gone. The Storm appears to be on the cusp of having a team that can challenge for a playoff spot this season. I think they're 2 players away from being a legitimate contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom