Final Four Refs | The Boneyard

Final Four Refs

Reaction Score
Screenshot_20230330_080753_Instagram.jpg

So what do we think? I'm not a fan of Suffren. She is miserable and wears her feelings on her sleeve.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have any insight on the NCAA directing officials on how to call a specific game? Also, would that be communicated to the teams/coaches prior to tip off?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Does anyone have any insight on the NCAA directing officials on how to call a specific game? Also, would that be communicated to the teams/coaches prior to tip off?
I seriously doubt that kind of information would be made public. In reality a good ref should not need any direction on enforcing existing rules. Period.

Reaction Score
I seriously doubt that kind of information would be made public. In reality a good ref should not need any direction on enforcing existing rules. Period.
I'm in 100% agreement with your 'should not' statement. However, we all know how wildly inconsistent games are called...even within a single game. Either the rules are written too vaguely or the refs' interpretation of them is ridiculously uneven.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I'm in 100% agreement with your 'should not' statement. However, we all know how wildly inconsistent games are called...even within a single game. Either the rules are written too vaguely or the refs' interpretation of them is ridiculously uneven.
My conspiracy theory is that refs monitor the stat sheets, whether it is between quarters or during halftime, and and adjust accordingly. I also think that certain coaches have more of an influence on what refs call than others do.
Again, this is 100% conspiracy theory. :)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
My conspiracy theory is that refs monitor the stat sheets, whether it is between quarters or during halftime, and and adjust accordingly. I also think that certain coaches have more of an influence on what refs call than others do.
Again, this is 100% conspiracy theory. :)
Probably the first part. They do discuss and analyze the first half, although it probably isn't stats they are really concerned about. More flow of the game, perceived biases, etc.

Incidentally, the listed refs include the ones that are "back-ups" since there will only be 9 actual refs.

Also, note that they are all female.

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
Agree with Bone dog - Maj Forsberg is the best of this group and, in my opinion, in all WCBB;

Some interesting Factoids:
  • four of these refs have never worked a Final Four game (Suffren, Bird, Cruse and Lukanich);
  • Forsberg has reffed the last three championship games, and five FFs overall;
  • Kantner has worked 24 Final Fours and 15 Championships, but was not on the court for the last two title games:
  • Jones has reffed 9 FFs and three championships;
  • Pantoja has been in 6 FFs and four championships;
  • Murray has reffed 3 FFs including last year's title game;
  • Cross and Spurlock-Welsh have each worked the last two FFs, but neither has reffed the championship.

Reaction Score
Agree with Bone dog - Maj Forsberg is the best of this group and, in my opinion, in all WCBB;

Some interesting Factoids:
  • four of these refs have never worked a Final Four game (Suffren, Bird, Cruse and Lukanich);
  • Forsberg has reffed the last three championship games, and five FFs overall;
  • Kantner has worked 24 Final Fours and 15 Championships, but was not on the court for the last two title games:
  • Jones has reffed 9 FFs and three championships;
  • Pantoja has been in 6 FFs and four championships;
  • Murray has reffed 3 FFs including last year's title game;
  • Cross and Spurlock-Welsh have each worked the last two FFs, but neither has reffed the championship.
Don’t forget the WNBA and international play including the Olympics.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Probably the first part. They do discuss and analyze the first half, although it probably isn't stats they are really concerned about. More flow of the game, perceived biases, etc.

Incidentally, the listed refs include the ones that are "back-ups" since there will only be 9 actual refs.

Also, note that they are all female.
I did note that but wasn't going to touch that point with the proverbial 10 foot pole (which I guess I just did...:rolleyes:).
I'm now waiting...

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
On the sport's biggest stage, I would be very disappointed if all of the referees were not female.
I presume you were very disappointed with all previous Final Fours then. This is the first time - spanning 40 Final Fours - that there are no men referees (at the D-1 level).

It continues to be a year of ending streaks! :cool:

Reaction Score
I presume you were very disappointed with all previous Final Fours then. This is the first time - spanning 40 Final Fours - that there are no men referees (at the D-1 level).

It continues to be a year of ending streaks! :cool:
I've been a fan of WBB for 15 seasons and I've always felt that the referees should be female. Glad to see that we've finally reached the point where that has happened.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Below is the NCAA blurb relating to the selection of the referees for the Final Four.

The selection of eleven women was deliberate and was done in light of the 50th anniversary of Title IX.

26th Final Four for Kantner according to the NCAA.

INDIANAPOLIS — The NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Committee has approved the 11 game officials recommended by Penny Davis, the national coordinator of officiating, to work Friday’s two national semifinal games and Sunday’s national championship game. A three-person crew will work each Women’s Final Four game, while two officials will serve as the standby officials for all three contests.

The NCAA has notified these 11 individuals that they have been selected to work the 2023 Women’s Final Four, which will be played at the American Airlines Center in Dallas:

• Tiffany Bird, Bountiful, Utah;
  • Gina Cross, Clearwater, Florida;
  • Tiara Cruse, New York, New York;
  • Maj Forsberg, Hørsholm, Denmark;
  • Lisa Jones, Chandler, Arizona;
  • Dee Kantner, Charlotte, North Carolina;
  • Katie Lukanich, Denver, Colorado;
  • Michol Murray, Chandler, Arizona;
  • Brenda Pantoja, Las Vegas, Nevada;
  • Pualani Spurlock-Welsh, Greenville, Pennsylvania;
  • Angelica Suffren, Atlanta, Georgia.
“It’s an honor to recommend these 11 officials to work the assignments this final weekend in what has proven to be a historic championship on many fronts. For decades, past and current conference coordinators and officiating leaders have worked to develop a talent bank of officials capable of working at the highest level. To have a strong pool of qualified officials to choose from that enabled the selection of 11 women to officiate these final games during the 50th anniversary celebration of Title IX is epic. We celebrate this accomplishment with all of those who paved a way and broken barriers as we play our role in growing this great game.”

These officials have a combined 293 seasons of Division I officiating experience, 48 Final Four/Championship assignments, along with nine of the women having played collegiate basketball, 7 at the Division I level.

“I hope that the student-athletes and fans see these women as an inspiration and the opportunity to contribute to the game through officiating.”

FULL SCHEDULE: 2023 March Madness dates, times

Kantner will be officiating her 26th Women’s Final Four, while Jones has been selected for an 11th time. This year will mark seven selections for Pantoja. Forsberg was selected for a sixth year, while it will be the fourth time for Cross and Murray. Spurlock-Welsh will officiate in her third Women’s Final Four and Suffren and Bird were selected for a second time. This will be the first Women’s Final Four for Lukanich and Cruse. Nine of the 11 officials are former collegiate women’s basketball student-athletes.

Friday’s first semifinal features the Greenville 2 regional champion and three seed LSU facing off with No. 1 seed and Seattle 3 regional champion Virginia Tech. It is Virginia Tech’s first appearance in the Women’s Final Four, while LSU will be making its 6th, but for the first time since 2008. The game is scheduled for 6 p.m. central time.

The second semifinal game, which is scheduled to tip at 8:30 p.m., will feature overall No. 1 seed, Greenville 1 regional champion and defending national champion South Carolina against No. 2 seed and Seattle 4 regional champion Iowa. The game will mark a third straight, and overall fifth, appearance for South Carolina. It will be Iowa’s second ever Final Four and first since 1993. Both games will be shown on ESPN.

The officiating assignments for each semifinal game, as well as Sunday afternoon’s national championship game, will be announced three hours before each game.

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
Below is the NCAA blurb relating to the selection of the referees for the Final Four.

The selection of eleven women was deliberate and was done in light of the 50th anniversary of Title IX.

26th Final Four for Kantner according to the NCAA.

INDIANAPOLIS — The NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Committee has approved the 11 game officials recommended by Penny Davis, the national coordinator of officiating, to work Friday’s two national semifinal games and Sunday’s national championship game. A three-person crew will work each Women’s Final Four game, while two officials will serve as the standby officials for all three contests.

The NCAA has notified these 11 individuals that they have been selected to work the 2023 Women’s Final Four, which will be played at the American Airlines Center in Dallas:

• Tiffany Bird, Bountiful, Utah;
  • Gina Cross, Clearwater, Florida;
  • Tiara Cruse, New York, New York;
  • Maj Forsberg, Hørsholm, Denmark;
  • Lisa Jones, Chandler, Arizona;
  • Dee Kantner, Charlotte, North Carolina;
  • Katie Lukanich, Denver, Colorado;
  • Michol Murray, Chandler, Arizona;
  • Brenda Pantoja, Las Vegas, Nevada;
  • Pualani Spurlock-Welsh, Greenville, Pennsylvania;
  • Angelica Suffren, Atlanta, Georgia.
“It’s an honor to recommend these 11 officials to work the assignments this final weekend in what has proven to be a historic championship on many fronts. For decades, past and current conference coordinators and officiating leaders have worked to develop a talent bank of officials capable of working at the highest level. To have a strong pool of qualified officials to choose from that enabled the selection of 11 women to officiate these final games during the 50th anniversary celebration of Title IX is epic. We celebrate this accomplishment with all of those who paved a way and broken barriers as we play our role in growing this great game.”

These officials have a combined 293 seasons of Division I officiating experience, 48 Final Four/Championship assignments, along with nine of the women having played collegiate basketball, 7 at the Division I level.

“I hope that the student-athletes and fans see these women as an inspiration and the opportunity to contribute to the game through officiating.”

FULL SCHEDULE: 2023 March Madness dates, times

Kantner will be officiating her 26th Women’s Final Four, while Jones has been selected for an 11th time. This year will mark seven selections for Pantoja. Forsberg was selected for a sixth year, while it will be the fourth time for Cross and Murray. Spurlock-Welsh will officiate in her third Women’s Final Four and Suffren and Bird were selected for a second time. This will be the first Women’s Final Four for Lukanich and Cruse. Nine of the 11 officials are former collegiate women’s basketball student-athletes.

Friday’s first semifinal features the Greenville 2 regional champion and three seed LSU facing off with No. 1 seed and Seattle 3 regional champion Virginia Tech. It is Virginia Tech’s first appearance in the Women’s Final Four, while LSU will be making its 6th, but for the first time since 2008. The game is scheduled for 6 p.m. central time.

The second semifinal game, which is scheduled to tip at 8:30 p.m., will feature overall No. 1 seed, Greenville 1 regional champion and defending national champion South Carolina against No. 2 seed and Seattle 4 regional champion Iowa. The game will mark a third straight, and overall fifth, appearance for South Carolina. It will be Iowa’s second ever Final Four and first since 1993. Both games will be shown on ESPN.

The officiating assignments for each semifinal game, as well as Sunday afternoon’s national championship game, will be announced three hours before each game.
Huskee11, thanks for posting. Great info. What are the odds that two Final Four referees (Lisa Jones and Michol Murray) would hail from the same small city (Chandler, pop 275K) in Arizona?

One additional comment: the number of times each ref has worked the Final Four in this announcement includes the times they were the back-up referees. The numbers I posted previously only reflect the times they were out on the floor, calling the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom