Final 7 School for Natalie Chou ('16) | The Boneyard

Final 7 School for Natalie Chou ('16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Per a Mike Flynn tweet Natalie Chou's final 7 are Baylor Cal Berkely Duke Louisville TCU Texas UCLA. I believe she seemed to be a possibility for UConn before this, right? Probably not a huge surprise.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was gonna say thats a odd combination of schools... then i looked it up and saw that she is from Texas.

Reaction Score
She released a top 12 last November: Baylor, Cal, Colorado, Duke, Georgetown, Louisville, South Carolina, Stanford, TCU, Texas, UCLA, UConn. So she's eliminated Colorado, Georgetown, South Carolina, Stanford, and UConn.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have the sense based on absolutely nothing besides the tea leaves in my cup, that Uconn is only still involved with two 2016s - McCoy and Cox - and those names aren't that clearly defined in the cup either. I suspect that if any of the guard/wings that have been previously mentioned as of interest and are still uncommitted were seriously considering Uconn that Bent would not have gotten her offer at the time she did. Uconn prefers not having a full scholarship roster.

Reaction Score
I have the sense based on absolutely nothing besides the tea leaves in my cup, that Uconn is only still involved with two 2016s - McCoy and Cox - and those names aren't that clearly defined in the cup either. I suspect that if any of the guard/wings that have been previously mentioned as of interest and are still uncommitted were seriously considering Uconn that Bent would not have gotten her offer at the time she did. Uconn prefers not having a full scholarship roster.
The GREEN Tea leaves seem to be with you. Geno and Company tend to have a good feel for those they can or can't get--wrong at times --also the Coaching team tests recruits for proper psychological, family, teammate, and talent fit to the Uconn system--keep reading those tea leaves --Uconn doesn't get them all, it's not who they lose but who they WANT.

Reaction Score
All UCONN needs is one elite post. Hopefully Cox or McCoy!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was gonna say thats a odd combination of schools... then i looked it up and saw that she is from Texas.

Texas and Baylor has had several players transfer (defect) this year. Players don't leave for no reason. She'd better find out why they left, and what's going on at those two schools BEFORE she commits to either. Look BEFORE you leap, or measure twice and cut once. There's a large exodus of players across the country from their original commitments that made the wrong decision the last two years. Learn from other's mistakes.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Baylor went over the limit of commitments to scholarships so that was their reason, though they lost an extra player that they probably didn't want to lose.

Reaction Score
All the speculation about just how Geno and the coaching staff decide on who to recruit and who to avoid reminds me of a truism in my own business. Sometimes, despite however attracrtive an opportunity may seem, the best jobs are the ones you don't get.

We hear of a player and then note how she's rated but we don't know or see what the staff does. Is there anyone of us posters that would have prioritized getting Dolson or could have predicted the impact that Faris would have? Strong recruits coming out of high school but both became much more at Storrs.

Maybe Geno has moved on from wings and guards, and we certainly do need a post, but if one of these 2 or 3's that are still out there in '16 has a little of what Faris had he's still going to want to see her in our uniform.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Baylor went over the limit of commitments to scholarships so that was their reason, though they lost an extra player that they probably didn't want to lose.

Mulkey was extra tough on the guards last season. One bad move and they were yanked from the game. Wright played well at times but it was pretty clear to see that she was not playing with much joy. Mulkey made it pretty obvious that Kristy Wallace was the player she trusted most at the 2 position and with Jones coming in I believe that both Small and Wright drew the conclusion that their PT was going to shrink considerably. I hated to see both leave as they were very good players that just weren't going to get the chance to showcase their skills under Mulkey.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Texas and Baylor has had several players transfer (defect) this year. Players don't leave for no reason. She'd better find out why they left, and what's going on at those two schools BEFORE she commits to either. Look BEFORE you leap, or measure twice and cut once. There's a large exodus of players across the country from their original commitments that made the wrong decision the last two years. Learn from other's mistakes.

UCONN has had its share of transfer IIRC.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
sounds like the 3 TX schools are there in case she decides to stay home but I've heard good fit for Cal. Then again, supposedly she was high on Stanford earlier. Sounds like maybe Duke, Cal and UCLA viewed as next in academics so on the list but I wish her luck if she falls for the recruiting lines at Duke OR Baylor!

Reaction Score
Cal has Kristine Anigwe and is the RUMORED leader for Sabrina Ionescu (knock on wood!). Point being, she's buddies with both from USA basketball, which should be helpful to a certain degree. UCLA would probably love to get Chou since Recee Caldwell transferred out, but my impression is that Cal might be a better fit between the UC's.

Carnac

Reaction Score
UCONN has had its share of transfer IIRC.

Uhhh easttexas, Did I touch a nerve? We're not talking about UConn here. We're talking about Natalie Chou. The recent transfers from UConn are dually noted, and recorded. We own and acknowledge them! The fact that UConn as also had transfers does not detract from the fact that Texas and Baylor have each lost multiple players this year. Multiple players leaving a program may suggest some internal discord within said program (notice I said MAY).

Players leave for different reasons. Our last two left in search of more playing time.
Sadie Edwards (to Univ. Southern California) was less than impressive in practice. During games, she was stuck on the end of the bench, and could not get on the floor. When she did see the floor, she did not impress. The only players she was in front of on the depth chart were the two walk-ons.

She could clearly see the writing on the wall. She may have jumped out of the frying pan into the fire. USC also has multiple players leave their program this spring. I think the 4.5 months she spent at UConn will be the closest she'll come to being part of a national championship team.

I am of the opinion (no solid or actual proof, just a hunch) that her parents had a lot to do with her transferring. They've had her ear from day 1. Whenever she (they) weren't happy, or the program no longer suited them, she transferred. I am of the opinion that it was a good move by both players. NOTE: Their leaving did not impact the program.

With 4 freshmen guards coming in, Breanna Banks could also see the writing on the wall. She already was not getting much playing time. So, she transferred to Penn St. (good luck to her).

Samarie Walker (to Kentucky) was the last player to leave before Banks and Edwards. Other posters have a better handle on why she left than I do. I'm guessing she realized during the first semester that UConn was not a good fit for her. When she left, it left Geno with an extremely short bench (another player suffered a season ending injury), 8 players if I recall.

Lauren Dixon was the only sub off the Bench Geno used the rest of that season. The other two players (Michaela Johnson & Lauren Engeln who both also later transferred) would have only been inserted only in case of injury or acute foul trouble. Geno got to the final four that year using only 6 players. What other coach could have done that? I thought he should been voted coach of the year.

So to respond to your statement, yes, UConn has had it's share of transfers, but not to the degree of other programs. There's no mass exodus of players leaving Storrs for greener pastures, and in case you're wondering, there's no trouble in Camelot. Just the opposite.

Lots of girls would to come here to try and win a NC or two, if offered a scholarship. As I'm sure you know, Geno and staff are very "picky" about who and what kind of players they want in their program. Have a nice day easttexas, we love ya man. :)

Reaction Score
All the speculation about just how Geno and the coaching staff decide on who to recruit and who to avoid reminds me of a truism in my own business. Sometimes, despite however attracrtive an opportunity may seem, the best jobs are the ones you don't get.

We hear of a player and then note how she's rated but we don't know or see what the staff does. Is there anyone of us posters that would have prioritized getting Dolson or could have predicted the impact that Faris would have? Strong recruits coming out of high school but both became much more at Storrs.

Maybe Geno has moved on from wings and guards, and we certainly do need a post, but if one of these 2 or 3's that are still out there in '16 has a little of what Faris had he's still going to want to see her in our uniform.

When the season starts--most Uconn fans know that the players they GOT were better than the players that got away. I've never missed any player Geno didn't get or the ones that came and left the same day, as great as she now appears. I had great HOPES Uconn would get DeShields but now I don't think she'd be a great fit for Geno and company.

Reaction Score
Uhhh easttexas, Did I touch a nerve? We're not talking about UConn here. We're talking about Natalie Chou. The recent transfers from UConn are dually noted, and recorded. We own and acknowledge them! The fact that UConn as also had transfers does not detract from the fact that Texas and Baylor have each lost multiple players this year. Multiple players leaving a program may suggest some internal discord within said program (notice I said MAY).

Players leave for different reasons. Our last two left in search of more playing time.
Sadie Edwards (to Univ. Southern California) was less than impressive in practice. During games, she was stuck on the end of the bench, and could not get on the floor. When she did see the floor, she did not impress. The only players she was in front of on the depth chart were the two walk-ons.

She could clearly see the writing on the wall. She may have jumped out of the frying pan into the fire. USC also has multiple players leave their program this spring. I think the 4.5 months she spent at UConn will be the closest she'll come to being part of a national championship team.

I am of the opinion (no solid or actual proof, just a hunch) that her parents had a lot to do with her transferring. They've had her ear from day 1. Whenever she (they) weren't happy, or the program no longer suited them, she transferred. I am of the opinion that it was a good move by both players. NOTE: Their leaving did not impact the program.

With 4 freshmen guards coming in, Breanna Banks could also see the writing on the wall. She already was not getting much playing time. So, she transferred to Penn St. (good luck to her).

Samarie Walker (to Kentucky) was the last player to leave before Banks and Edwards. Other posters have a better handle on why she left than I do. I'm guessing she realized during the first semester that UConn was not a good fit for her. When she left, it left Geno with an extremely short bench (another player suffered a season ending injury), 8 players if I recall.

Lauren Dixon was the only sub off the Bench Geno used the rest of that season. The other two players (Michaela Johnson & Lauren Engeln who both also later transferred) would have only been inserted only in case of injury or acute foul trouble. Geno got to the final four that year using only 6 players. What other coach could have done that? I thought he should been voted coach of the year.

So to respond to your statement, yes, UConn has had it's share of transfers, but not to the degree of other programs. There's no mass exodus of players leaving Storrs for greener pastures, and in case you're wondering, there's no trouble in Camelot. Just the opposite.

Lots of girls would to come here to try and win a NC or two, if offered a scholarship. As I'm sure you know, Geno and staff are very "picky" about who and what kind of players they want in their program. Have a nice day easttexas, we love ya man. :)
As I recall--Walker transferred for 2 reasons 1. Her parents picked Uconn 2. Walker had a special friend on the Kentucky team
Johnson's injury didn't allow for much PT and Engelin, highly touted, didn't have the skills Uconn thought or needed. Poor Breann Banks if she stayed she would have competed for the NC and would have had a fair share of game time. Her experience and skills gave her a boot up over Courtney and Williams, maybe (just maybe) over Kia.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Actually, Walker's special friend lived in Ohio...she was homesick so she transferred to Kentucky because it was closer to Ohio. I told TonyC in the summer before Samarie arrived on campus that I didn't think that Samarie was going to last at UConn. Somebody, had told me about her significant other being left behind and that Samarie was happy about it. I was sorry that I was right...because we were a little thin in the middle that year.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Poor Breann Banks if she stayed she would have competed for the NC and would have had a fair share of game time. Her experience and skills gave her a boot up over Courtney and Williams, maybe (just maybe) over Kia.

No offense to Banks, but I'll take that trade any day. To me Banks was an athlete who did not have a good idea of what to do on offense and an inconsistent shot. Nurse is the better all-around player and fit, imo.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No offense to Banks, but I'll take that trade any day. To me Banks was an athlete who did not have a good idea of what to do on offense and an inconsistent shot. Nurse is the better all-around player and fit, imo.
Agree Nurse is better all around player than Banks, but Nurse Freshmen beating out Senior Banks for a starting spot would have been hard & I think is Broadway's point.
But we can do what if forever. Nurse may have cost UCONN Durr & If Durr came to UCONN Dangerfield may not have come. Somehow I think UCONN got the best deal possible.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn is at a level that no other team is at. The expectations of each player at UConn are very high. You have to be coachable and you have to progress or you'll be left behind and this is what has happened to many not all of the transfers at UConn. We fans at UConn at times nit pick at players weaknesses. Other schools would welcome them. That's a huge difference. This is why many of the top recruits don't come here. To much is expected however the rewards are unbelievable.

I heard from a very reliable source that Geno and UConn are going all out for Lauren Cox and Megan Walker. Now think about this. Think about the lineup. Lou Collier Dangerfield are the tops. Can you imagine Cox and Walker added to that lineup? Cox and Walker will have the opportunity to become two of the best players ever under Genos staff and playing with that lineup they will have the ability to showcase their skills because teams will not be able to play them one on one and sluff off some other player. The question is do they understand that? Do they realize if they don't come to UConn what theyre giving up? If you want to be somebody special come to UConn if you want to be average and ordinary don't. The great ones have the want do and are willing to pay the price to be better.

Transfers from some of the other teams have a lot more to do with playtime. There are internal problems in some not all of those teams. I know this for a fact and those of you who attended the Maggie Dixon classic heard first had what some of the problems were which I will not post in public. UConn doesn't have those problems. Some fans think why would a starter leave a good team and go elsewhere. Well some of you read an certain AAU coaches post to this board. Read in-between the lines.

UConn is a very special place for girls to play BB. Mentally physically they become more mature. Family values, ethical values are part of the building process so even if you don't play pro ball your prepared for your future. Speaking of pro ball how many non UConn starters are still playing pro ball in the US and overseas? This is all what makes the UConn experience so special and special it is.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Do they realize if they don't come to UConn what theyre giving up? If you want to be somebody special come to UConn if you want to be average and ordinary don't. The great ones have the want do and are willing to pay the price to be better.
Well Tony, even for you that's a bit over the top. (for anyone else, way over the top). Of course this is not true. There are a lot of "special" players out there who didn't go to UCONN. Half the USA NT didn't go to UCONN.

Most players that do choose UCONN get a wonderful basketball education. And are able to maximize their talents. But if you don't choose UCONN, doesn't mean your giving up or not willing to pay the price. You may or may not reach your full potential (but then I don't know if anybody ever really does), but you can become a very special player even without UCONN.

Carnac

Reaction Score
UConn is at a level that no other team is at. The expectations of each player at UConn are very high. You have to be coachable and you have to progress or you'll be left behind and this is what has happened to many not all of the transfers at UConn. We fans at UConn at times nit pick at players weaknesses. Other schools would welcome them. That's a huge difference. This is why many of the top recruits don't come here. To much is expected however the rewards are unbelievable.

I heard from a very reliable source that Geno and UConn are going all out for Lauren Cox and Megan Walker. Now think about this. Think about the lineup. Lou Collier Dangerfield are the tops. Can you imagine Cox and Walker added to that lineup? Cox and Walker will have the opportunity to become two of the best players ever under Genos staff and playing with that lineup they will have the ability to showcase their skills because teams will not be able to play them one on one and sluff off some other player. The question is do they understand that? Do they realize if they don't come to UConn what theyre giving up? If you want to be somebody special come to UConn if you want to be average and ordinary don't. The great ones have the want do and are willing to pay the price to be better.

Transfers from some of the other teams have a lot more to do with playtime. There are internal problems in some not all of those teams. I know this for a fact and those of you who attended the Maggie Dixon classic heard first had what some of the problems were which I will not post in public. UConn doesn't have those problems. Some fans think why would a starter leave a good team and go elsewhere. Well some of you read an certain AAU coaches post to this board. Read in-between the lines.

UConn is a very special place for girls to play BB. Mentally physically they become more mature. Family values, ethical values are part of the building process so even if you don't play pro ball your prepared for your future. Speaking of pro ball how many non UConn starters are still playing pro ball in the US and overseas? This is all what makes the UConn experience so special and special it is.

Thanks tonyc, your post was insightful and informative. I live outside (3,000 miles away) the state of Connecticut. I'm not close enough to the campus to get team news and information first hand.

A lot of the information I do get comes from the internet, the Geno Auriemma show, pre and post game shows on SNY, and threads like this. How you get it is not important. The fact that you get it is. Some things you'll never hear on TV. In the short time I've been posting here, I've come to realize that there are a lot of very knowledgeable posters here, that somehow have factual information (from a reliable source), some of which may not necessarily be public knowledge. I love this thread.

Carnac

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Bonpland, post:

We hear of a player and then note how she's rated, but we don't know or see what the staff does.

Truer words have never been spoken. How would you like to be a fly on the wall in Geno's private staff meetings?. I'd love to hear first hand what their strategy is for recruiting in general, and recruiting certain players specifically. Their take on other players and coaches around the league, as well as those on their schedule.

I want to know why they discount or reject certain potential recruits, how they access current team members and their progress, and the real untold reason(s) one of their recruits has left the program.

Obviously the content of those meetings are confidential and confined to that room, and will never be repeated outside of those walls. As a fan, I would love to have knowledge of that information.

Everything they do (or don't do) would make a lot more sense. I'd also like to attend several practices. That would be a unique opportunity for lots of reasons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99