Filling The Final Roster Spot (according to Hurley) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Filling The Final Roster Spot (according to Hurley)

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Ricky Moore might have had the single greatest all round game in UConn history.
To this day, I contend that he should have gotten the MOP. Not that Rip wasn't deserving, but that Ricky was otherworldly that game.

Our bench was a key to the win not only out scoring their bench 17-8 but keeping us fresher. Calhoun played almost everyone including Antric Klaiber.
JC said he was sorry he didn't get EJ Harrison a few minutes. The kid was on his way to the scorer's table at the end. That's all right, JC put in a good word with Tony Hanson, and EJ ended up playing in England and Scotland for 15 years.

Wane and Saunders spelling Jake on Brand defensively were huge in the win.
Agreed. It was certainly Souleyman's single best performance. Always wondered why the nickname Souleyman the Magnificent didn't catch on for him.

Rip was an absolute killer who Duke never came up with anyone who could defend him.
Rip killed a lot of teams that year.<G>

i forgot one fact according to the announcers we won with our best player in street clothes.
Which reinforced the axiom that TV BBall announcers are mostly just hype parrots.

Reaction Score
I. watched the 1999 Championship game last night . It was one of the best coached games I‘ve ever witnessed . It was like watching two chess masters at work. I loved everything they threw at Elton Brand the National player of the year. Holding that team to 40% shooting was the epitome of JC brilliance. That’s team beats the Ga Tech as badly as we did in 2004. Duke even if overrated was an incredible team.
Everyone remembers the 14 first half points but his defense , rebounding ,getting loose balls and his unquestioned leadership the whole game literally were overlooked by many including me. Twice in the last 10 seconds he created Duke turnovers and tied for most rebounds.
If our free throw shooting wasn’t awful 10-18 vs Dukes 21-27 until very late that game wasn’t as close.
Khalid had a bad game playing only 22 min due to fouls ,minutes but redeemed himself with clutch points mostly at crunch time. Rash and Albert picked it up.
Our bench was a key to the win not only out scoring their bench 17-8 but keeping us fresher. Calhoun played almost everyone including Antric Klaiber.
Albert Morning offensively 3-4 . Wane and Saunders spelling Jake on Brand defensively were huge in the win.
Rip was an absolute killer who Duke never came up with anyone who could defend him.

i forgot one fact according to the announcers we won with our best player in street clothes.
JC hated Antrim Klaiber. He was rough on that poor kid.

Reaction Score
let's just say, if hurley is dead set on replacing akok with a stretch 4 for a year then i pray the transfer rule passes and more options enter the portal. unlike Borges i'd hope he'd be a little more flexible and take the best available character fit
I actually like Mading. A lot

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score

Comes from this song. Basically means a crazy, obsessed creepy fan. Stan = Stalker Fan

I even got a tattoo with Nolley’s name across my chest...

Reaction Score
Huh? Very curious how that's your takeaway because I see it the exact opposite way
I am a stars guy, I hate it when coaches down play stars. It sounded like Randy quote.

Reaction Score
I am a stars guy, I hate it when coaches down play stars. It sounded like Randy quote.
That's fair, I'd definitely prefer top guys but I trust Hurley. But Kofi was the top rated recruit and we ended up missing so this seems like the opposite scenario

Reaction Score

I think you need to use a bit of context here. He’s not talking about Fall recruiting, where the team has successfully gotten the star guys. This is a final roster spot in the weirdest time of recruiting anyone’s ever known. In this particular case, it’s about fit and trust and if a recruiting service liked them at some point? That’s fine but not necessary. Even in the best of cases, spring recruiting is generally not where you get the high impact guys anymore, with some exceptions. The uncertainty of guys being able to reclass is yet another factor. No one knows how that’s going to go or how long they have to wait to know anything.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Even in the best of cases, spring recruiting is generally not where you get the high impact guys anymore, with some exceptions. The uncertainty of guys being able to reclass is yet another factor. No one knows how that’s going to go or how long they have to wait to know anything.
yeah we want to be one of the exceptions and get a high impact guy lol. but seriously, this screams grad transfer to me. problem is there arent any good ones left and they didnt have an incentive to wait and see if the transfer rule passed, so doubtful any more become available.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
yeah we just want to be the exception and get a high impact guy lol. but this screams grad transfer to me. problem is there arent any good ones left and they didnt have an incentive to wait and see if the transfer rule passed, so doubtful any more become available.

or a JUCO or a senior in good standing who was going to prep but now wants to get on campus or a potentially eligible regular transfer (which they should know next month)

Reaction Score
or a JUCO or a senior in good standing who was going to prep but now wants to get on campus or a potentially eligible regular transfer (which they should know next month)
you were stressing the fit and trust aspect and hurley said himself there are going to be a lot of mistakes both ways because it's harder to get to know a recruit during this pandemic.

to me a grad transfer minimizes the potential damage of a mistake since theyre only here one year...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
you were stressing the fit and trust aspect and hurley said himself there are going to be a lot of mistakes going both ways because it's impossible to get to know a recruit during this pandemic.

to me a grad transfer minimizes the potential damage of a mistake since theyre only here one year...

It could be, but it’s also when you rely on the relationships you’ve built in the game- is there a guy that works who you knew in a different role? Or a coach you trust who knows you well who also vouches for a guy? I think that means more than a specific time commitment. It’s why Tyrese was such a natural move after he decided to transfer. But yeah, coaches hate what’s happening now (as do we all).

Reaction Score
I. watched the 1999 Championship game last night . It was one of the best coached games I‘ve ever witnessed . It was like watching two chess masters at work. I loved everything they threw at Elton Brand the National player of the year. Holding that team to 40% shooting was the epitome of JC brilliance. That’s team beats the Ga Tech as badly as we did in 2004. Duke even if overrated was an incredible team.
Everyone remembers the 14 first half points but his defense , rebounding ,getting loose balls and his unquestioned leadership the whole game literally were overlooked by many including me. Twice in the last 10 seconds he created Duke turnovers and tied for most rebounds.
If our free throw shooting wasn’t awful 10-18 vs Dukes 21-27 until very late that game wasn’t as close.
Khalid had a bad game playing only 22 min due to fouls ,minutes but redeemed himself with clutch points mostly at crunch time. Rash and Albert picked it up.
Albert Morning offensively 3-4 . Wane and Saunders spelling Jake on Brand defensively were huge in the win.

That was Billy Packer and that was probably the only compliment he ever gave UConn and was wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom