Field of 68: “Marquette is the hottest team in the country” | The Boneyard

Field of 68: “Marquette is the hottest team in the country”

Reaction Score
Their offense is humming right now.

Its not really a knock on us, We havent put a full game together for 4 straight. One strong half per game it seems.

They are averaging just a tick under 83 the last 4 and interestingly enough each of our last three games have been against the same three teams. With pretty similar results.

Kolek in particular has full blown gotten his mojo back.

I get the annoyance for sure tho.

They are playing up against their peak right now. We arent. I think thats all it is. Our peak beats em by double digits. This game is going to be a special one I think.

Reaction Score
You get the annoyance? What are we? 39-4 over the last 44 games? Won how many in a row? Have we even lost a darn game this calendar year??? But they are hot, ok. I guess we will see on Saturday.

Reaction Score
I'm stating the obvious but there seems to be a phenomenon where analysts ignore the clear cut answer in order to make a discovery or 'hot' take.

During half of the Butler-marquette game last night, panel agreed that Holloway should win BE coach of the year. I get it. They are vastly improved, but there are coaches in CT and in Milwaukee that are trotting out potential final four teams 2 years in a row.

Reaction Score
Its not really a knock on us, We havent put a full game together for 4 straight. One strong half per game it seems.
How is this different than Marquette?

Reaction Score
Kolek looked like a lead blocker down the stretch for two of the big guys moves to the basket. Gets away with murder but he’s playing well again. They’re a tough matchup for our guys defensively and Clingan needs to stay out of foul trouble. Mitchell will be in Spencer’s jock when he’s in and we need to get the calls on him as well. Great game brewing Saturday!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Love it. Bulletin board material for the team. Hype for the game. Take care of business tonight and Saturday to correct the narrative.

Reaction Score
Kolek looked like a lead blocker down the stretch for two of the big guys moves to the basket. Gets away with murder but he’s playing well again. They’re a tough matchup for our guys defensively and Clingan needs to stay out of foul trouble. Mitchell will be in Spencer’s jock when he’s in and we need to get the calls on him as well. Great game brewing Saturday!
Those looked like moving screens for sure to get Iguadharo those dunks. If that is being allowed Saturday then the defender on Kolek has to make sure they don't get caught on the high side of Kolek so that they can switch onto Iguadharo when Marquette runs those plays.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Oso gets away with a moving screen basically every possession by doing that thing where you stand there and just slowly walk right in the path where the defender guarding Kolek needs to go. It gets him free pretty much all game long. I would love for one of our guys to bowl him over early in the game to try to put a stop to that.

Reaction Score
That is not the case at all, we've had one "bad" game out of the last 4 against Providence.

And even if that were the case you clearly haven't been watching Marquette, they were down 9 to St John's at halftime not even a week ago. It's not like they're coming out and dominating everyone in 2 halfs every game

Reaction Score
Those looked like moving screens for sure to get Iguadharo those dunks. If that is being allowed Saturday then the defender on Kolek has to make sure they don't get caught on the high side of Kolek so that they can switch onto Iguadharo when Marquette runs those plays.
equal parts bad d by Butler, they got burnt the same way on multiple possessions. Our guys should get over/under it better. You know the staff is dissecting that tape.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
"X is the hottest team" is such a subjective statement. I take it to mean that Marquette has improved their national standing more than anyone recently. We have just maintained the #1 ranking, which is a great accomplishment but it's hard to go up from there.

Reaction Score
equal parts bad d by Butler, they got burnt the same way on multiple possessions. Our guys should get over/under it better. You know the staff is dissecting that tape.
yeah, Butler is not good at defense at all when looking at the video and also looking at their metrics.

A key part of UConn's offense should be to attack the offensive glass without losing court balance. Marquette for the third straight year has been terrible at getting defensive rebounds.

Reaction Score
From a media perspective, what more can be said about UConn? They already used up all of the superlatives.

Let our Wisconsin rivals have a day in the sun. We'll meet up soon enough.

Reaction Score
I laughed like heck at those 2 replays, he circled toward the basket, and then backed into the guys he was "picking", and wrapped his arms backward around the closest guy, all the while moving his feet back towards midcourt like a running back churning for more yardage backwards. Don't think you could get away with that on a football field!!

Reaction Score
That is not the case at all, we've had one "bad" game out of the last 4 against Providence.

And even if that were the case you clearly haven't been watching Marquette, they were down 9 to St John's at halftime not even a week ago. It's not like they're coming out and dominating everyone in 2 halfs every game

I said one half per game. We were objectively bad in the 2nd half against Georgetown. First half against StJohns stunk. Butler was like a march through the motions.

All im saying is Marquette is performing at their peak right now. We arent. If we do we dog walk them. Their peak is pretty good tho and “hot”

Reaction Score
How is this different than Marquette?
It isnt. But its the medias job to ride teams at their hottest. They are at their hottest. Yes we have won 12 in a row but we have another gear and I stand by that.

Reaction Score
I said one half per game. We were objectively bad in the 2nd half against Georgetown. First half against StJohns stunk. Butler was like a march through the motions.

All im saying is Marquette is performing at their peak right now. We arent. If we do we dog walk them. Their peak is pretty good tho and “hot”
Yes, and I'm saying that's a bunch of nonsense on both counts. If you want to make that claim about UConn then you should be making the same claim about Marquette.

You point out that we were bad in the second half against Georgetown, yet we scored 1.194 points per possession. Our season average is 1.186, so we were right on pace. Just because we stopped trying to run them out of the gym and put our end of the bench guys in for a few minutes doesn't mean we played bad

Reaction Score
I guess we will only have one good half tonight too....when it's halftime and you're up 30 hard to be motivated coming out.

it's an article

let's win the BERS, BET, and hang another banner.

Who cares

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom