Favorite UConn game (W or L) ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Here you go man (not the full game, just highlights I uploaded a while back):

Thanks!
Exciting game with a ton of talent on the floor. U of A had at least 4 NBA players (Bynum, Stoudamire, Walton and Frye) plus Gardner who was an AA and had a very good career overseas and Rick Anderson, who made the All-PAC10 team.
UConn, of course, had Emeka, BenG and Caron, so ultimately higher level NBA players.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
The worst losses were Florida in '94, George Mason in '06 and the regular season game back in 2007 when Roy Hibbert nailed a 3 at the buzzer to beat us.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Very easy to argue against it. Calhoun was pissed after that loss. And for good reason.

I didn't say I liked that loss. Just saying from an entertainment standpoint, it was the funnest to watch while it was being played.

Reaction Score
Absolutely annihilating BCU on Troy Bell's senior day.

What makes that game even sweeter is how much was at stake for BCU. With a win, they would have won their division outright in the Big East and wrapped up an NCAA bid. With a good game, Bell would have become the conference's all time leading scorer. Add in that BCU won in a blowout at Gampel earlier in the season and their fans were very confident on the message boards heading into that game.

As is usually the case, their hopes were dashed. Bell didn't win the scoring title, the team did not get selected to the NCAA tournament and they didn't even get to host their NIT opening round game.

Reaction Score
I can't argue with any of the NCAA or BE tournament games already chosen. To go with something different, I've always had fond memories of a win over Virginia from the 93-94 season.

UConn went to play at then #12 Virginia early in the season and destroyed them 77-36 (And the Cavaliers were lucky to crack 30). I chose this game because this was the season that UConn started to show they were a program. It wasn't just one year of success or success with one group of players. All the guys from the Dream Season were now gone, but the team kept on winning.

Reaction Score
Number one was the 1st- beating Duke. Media was saying Duke team was among best ever.
Other great UCONN games - the two times we beat Ky this year and Kemba's year. Any time to beat Calipari is great. Also beating duke in semis.
Also in BET beating GTWON in March when they were hot with Ray Allen's jumper. IMO that moment we officially took the BE torch.
And Tate George's miracle jump shot. That DREAM SEASON was special. AT the time there was question if we belonged.

Greatest/most enjoyable college games - NC vs GTOWN in finals. EPIC. Phil Slamma Jamma losing to NC State. Larry Bird's run to the finals.

Reaction Score
December 12 1969: a caravan of about 300 Huskies heading to Amherst to watch the team play UMASS and the great sophomore Julius Erving - at time when that school actually got some media attention. weather, lousy bleacher seats, nasty looking cheerleaders with way too much hairspray, fans looking like a Woodstock outtake, No UCONN band.... But UCONN played like men possessed.Bob Boyd and Ron Hrubala (still in the double-double record books) shutting down superstar Erving. Final score UCONN 88-71. Talk about going out of your mind nuts..no Husky could speak for days after the game because we were all too horse from screaming for 2 solid hours and another hour after the game. No cell phones, no internet, no media, no nothin', just a WHUS broadcast in Storrs. Headlines 2 days later!

Reaction Score
December 12 1969: a caravan of about 300 Huskies heading to Amherst to watch the team play UMASS and the great sophomore Julius Erving - ...

Good one. I was there that day also. Was so i excited that i jumped up, dropped my wallet in the grimy dirt under the stands, and had to search for it after the game..

But as Mau said earlier, the ones that brought tears to your eyes stand out the most. For me, you cant ever top '99 or '14, and the shot by Tate is darn close.
But there are couple of others that are memorable for me that no one has mentioned.

One was the Bialosuknia-Bob Lloyd duel against RU on 2/23/67, when Wes outscored Lloyd 40-39 and UConn won 84-77. First time I can remember feeling the unharnessed energy of a college basketball crowd.

Another was an obscure but relentless 100-79 beatdown of Virginia in the Field House on 12/30/66 when 6-4 Husky center Billy Gray jumped over, through and around favored UVA's two 6-9 centers, Carmichael and Naponick...Somehow seeing the despair and bewilderment of those 2 big guys when Gray dunked all over them caused me to note their names, and i still remember them almost 50 years later

Reaction Score
As all of the above deserve 'best' rating, for me, and I am surprised it has not been mentioned, it has to be the win against the Jarvis led St John's in 99.
#1 vs. #9 at MSG.
Just an awesome game at which I lost my voice. Back and forth, two tough teams giving it all on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom