Favorite Non AA Players From The Past That Exemplified Uconn | The Boneyard

Favorite Non AA Players From The Past That Exemplified Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
This year's team is remarkable. Reminds me of the many player's on past teams that were huge contributors but perhaps did not get AA recognition.
Who is on your list?

My List
Jamelle Elliot
Carla Berube
Mel Thomas
Kelly Schumacher
Ann Strother
Barb Turner
Ashley Battle
Kelly Faris
Kiah Stokes

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Rita, Tamika, Asjha ... so many, from just one team - Kalana, Kaili, Loren, Meghan, Heather, could go on and on. Every one of the walk ons through the years ... Charde!

Much easier to list the players that were not favorites! :rolleyes: (Don't anyone take me up on that! :))

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This year's team is remarkable. Reminds me of the many player's on past teams that were huge contributors but perhaps did not get AA recognition.
Who is on your list?

My List
Jamelle Elliot
Carla Berube
Mel Thomas
Kelly Schumacher
Ann Strother
Barb Turner
Ashley Battle
Kelly Faris
Kiah Stokes
#1 has got to be Asjha Jones. An Olympic Gold medal winner who wasn't an AA.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
#1 has got to be Asjha Jones. An Olympic Gold medal winner who wasn't an AA.

Not First team, but all five starters from 2001-02 got some level of AA recognition. I believe Jones was second team, but I could be mistaken.

Reaction Score
I'd add Maria Conlon. I don't think Diana could have pulled of those last two championships without her. She was the Scottie Pippen to Diana's Michael Jordan, IMHO.:)[/QUOTE

Maria Conlon would be my FIRST choice---under appreciated, under rated--and yet Geno the year after she graduated said:
To think I'd miss Maria Conlon!! Faint praise, but praise never the less.
Thank you for recognizing her significant contributions to this program!! Another Connecticut girl who raised the bar.
Excellent 3 ball shooter, superb FT shooter under pressures, excellent in assisting, she was more than Robin to Batman. She was Batgirl--a hero in her own right--yep, I like Maria.

I could list Swania (sp), Dixon, Rene, Battle, Ashley Valley, Morgan Valley----all guards all tough competitor most had few headlines.

Reaction Score
Rita, Tamika, Asjha ... so many, from just one team - Kalana, Kaili, Loren, Meghan, Heather, could go on and on. Every one of the walk ons through the years ... Charde!

Much easier to list the players that were not favorites! :rolleyes: (Don't anyone take me up on that! :))
Most if not all--including some transfers--could fit the category---Non AA's that contributed to the success of UCWBB--Chard/ KJ lost souls that owned my heart--but first is Maria!! How do you hold a moon beam in your hand???

Reaction Score
Stokes should be on the huskies wall of fame IMO. She was the greatest rebounder and shot blocker to play for uconn.
I love Kia Stokes and she is without a doubt the best shot blocker that Geno has ever had in Storrs but I'm not sure she IS THE best rebounder to play in Storrs. She's among the best, easily but I don't think anyone would question her amazing ability to block or alter shots. Her timing and instincts were off the charts. You have a few people who could challenge Kia insofar as rebounding is concerned, though!

Reaction Score
I was (am) a big fan of Caroline Doty and had she not had as many knee surgeries as she did, she might have made that wall! She was so feisty and hard nosed and tough and an inspiration to the team even in her final year when she was appreciably limited by her knees. As many have said, there are so many non AA players that have made a big impact on the success of the program but I feel Caroline is in the upper tier of those players. Her tenacity was amazing and all I can think of is what she might have been with healthy knees.

Reaction Score
Caroline Doty!!!
I didn't see your choice until after I'd posted. Carolyn Doty was easily one of my favorite UConn players ever. With good knees she quite likely would have made that wall but even though her surgeries limited her impact, she still was a great asset to the Huskies.

Reaction Score
I was (am) a big fan of Caroline Doty and had she not had as many knee surgeries as she did, she might have made that wall! She was so feisty and hard nosed and tough and an inspiration to the team even in her final year when she was appreciably limited by her knees. As many have said, there are so many non AA players that have made a big impact on the success of the program but I feel Caroline is in the upper tier of those players. Her tenacity was amazing and all I can think of is what she might have been with healthy knees.
I loved her toughness especially in the 2013 NC against L'ville. After the mugging of Baylor by L'ville, they tried the rough game against UCONN but CD2 was having none of it. A flying elbow at about 3 minutes into the game, that might not have been so accidental, was a warning that punk ball wouldn't be tolerated by UCONN.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Meg Pattyson, Debbie Baer, and Laura Lishness. Also, the other starter not named Bascom, whose name I can't call up.

Schumacher also.

Reaction Score
Meghan Gardler if for nothing more than her fixing her hair before nailing a 3!

Recall her as Philly gal who had style. I wanted to refresh my memory, so searched and found info on Wiki with her UConn stats and pro highlights (a lot better as a pro). It then links to her blog / website which, though pretty new, is a little interesting at Meghan Gardler

Reaction Score
Recall her as Philly gal who had style. I wanted to refresh my memory, so searched and found info on Wiki with her UConn stats and pro highlights (a lot better as a pro). It then links to her blog / website which, though pretty new, is a little interesting at Meghan Gardler
When you google her it says she was a center (and PF)? When was she ever a center? She's not even 6 feet tall!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom