Favorite Games of Yore | The Boneyard

Favorite Games of Yore

Reaction Score
Two ways to fill the time until the tournament begins. 1) wonder about whether this or that recruit will will choose UConn and 2) watch old games. Yeah, yeah, I could clean out the garage or the gutters too.

The final four game against Minnesota in 2004 has been showing up in my YouTube feed lately so I watched it again. It had been a number of years since I watched it. Lindsay Whelan was something else, and her connection with McCarville in the post was really impressive, even reminiscent of Paige and Aaliyah. Whelan loved the bounce pass through the lane. You don’t see that so much anymore.

Of course, Diana and Jessica Moore and Ann Strother and Willnet Crockett and Maria Conlon and Ashley Battle and Barbara Turner were awesome. It is always fun to see Diana’s patented spin move from the elbow. This time I was struck by how similar Jessica Moore’s game is to Liv’s. One fabulous right handed block of McCarville in the first half really suggested it.

What old games have you been watching lately?

Reaction Score
I still remember Flavius vs. Plinias Maximus as if it was yesterday. Spin move where Flavius stuck the dagger in Plinias' stomach was awesome. I also liked Neanderthal vs. Cromagnon, but I was just a child back then so I don't remember it as well.

Reaction Score
on amore serious note, as I have mentioned I loved the Mississippi State game in the regionals at Bridgeport, senior year for Stewie, Morgan and Moriah. About as perfect a game as you could play. Or, as good a game as they could play. Not us.

Reaction Score
Tennessee at UConn 2000. A great game. Hard pressed to find a game with so much talent on the floor. Only comparable game might be North Carolina-Georgetown 1982. Terrible offensive foul call on Tamika Williams late in the game.

Reaction Score
This one just last season, UConn NC State 11/20/22 but a great rewatch. We get to celebrate a great game by our two seniors Aaliyah and Nika and anticipate the return of Azzi, Aubrey, Ayanna and Caroline. Nika set the single game assist record, Aaliyah moved over to center with Dorka out and of course had a double double, Aubrey, moving great, showed how much we missed her in 21-22, Azzi continued her season opening run as the best player in wcbb and Ayanna played some great defense. As a bonus Lou lit it up in the third and kept it going in the fourth. As fans we were on cloud nine through this remarkable opening stretch last year. Enjoy!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
The game where we backdoor cut Tenn all game, the 2000 NCAAT final, 71-52, where we had 21 assists to TN's 6, and Schuey had 9 blocks, although us fans could argue that one of the fouls was really her 10th block

And this one also (from espn):

March 29, 2002: Starting seniors Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Asjha Jones, Tamika Williams and sophomore Diana Taurasi -- who would all go on to be WNBA first-round picks -- UConn beat Tennessee 79-56 in the national semifinals. The 23-point margin is the largest in series history.
After the game, Summitt asked Auriemma if she could speak to his team in the locker room. "You guys are everything the game should be," Summitt recounted telling the Huskies in her 2013 book, "Sum It Up: 1,098 Victories, A Couple of Irrelevant Losses, and a Life in Perspective." "You're one of the best teams I've ever seen, and you need to go on and win the whole thing." UConn would finish a perfect season with an NCAA final victory over Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
Two ways to fill the time until the tournament begins. 1) wonder about whether this or that recruit will will choose UConn and 2) watch old games. Yeah, yeah, I could clean out the garage or the gutters too.

The final four game against Minnesota in 2004 has been showing up in my YouTube feed lately so I watched it again. It had been a number of years since I watched it. Lindsay Whelan was something else, and her connection with McCarville in the post was really impressive, even reminiscent of Paige and Aaliyah. Whelan loved the bounce pass through the lane. You don’t see that so much anymore.
I h
Of course, Diana and Jessica Moore and Ann Strother and Willnet Crockett and Maria Conlon and Ashley Battle and Barbara Turner were awesome. It is always fun to see Diana’s patented spin move from the elbow. This time I was struck by how similar Jessica Moore’s game is to Liv’s. One fabulous right handed block of McCarville in the first half really suggested it.

I have 2 games one Women one Men. Women. Sue' at Gampel against Nd, BE Championship--at half time Sue scores a 5/8 court length shot---at fhe final busser--she scores the winning bank off the board shot. She was everywhere.
The other Men--1960's In Rhode Isand for the Yankee Conf Championship. Score at half time (approximate) 7 to 8 (that could have been the final score. Bobby Boyd held out for some called in crime--that didn't happen was held out of the game. Uconn fielded 6 players total. I listened to 2 hours of that game on the Radio and came away thrilled.

Reaction Score

Wilnet and the BT express in Bridgeport against :?? DUKE? the Best game Wilnet played --but the most superb game Barbara Turned every played--dehydrated, leg cramps- she put the team/the game on her back and --came close to a win. Superb performance.

Reaction Score
I have 2 games one Women one Men. Women. Sue' at Gampel against Nd, BE Championship--at half time Sue scores a 5/8 court length shot---at fhe final busser--she scores the winning bank off the board shot. She was everywhere.
The other Men--1960's In Rhode Isand for the Yankee Conf Championship. Score at half time (approximate) 7 to 8 (that could have been the final score. Bobby Boyd held out for some called in crime--that didn't happen was held out of the game. Uconn fielded 6 players total. I listened to 2 hours of that game on the Radio and came away thrilled.
Thanks for reminding me of that game. It was the last game of the 69-70 season. Dee Rowe was the UConn coach. Three UConn players were withheld from the game due to some alleged activity involving vending machines. His roster sorely depleted Rowe employed the four corner offense to slow the game down and keep the score close. That is why the first half of the game had such a low score. That was the only time I remember UConn using the four corner offense for the majority of the game. One minor correction is that the game was played in the UConn Field House. I know that because I attended the game.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I'd have to go with the "Blizzard" game against Tennessee in Hartford.The forecast was frightening - some people were worried the game would be canceled. It was nationally televised, so there was no way that was going to happen.
Got to the game early to be safe - also figured we'd be able to find our way down to some prime courtside seats because of no-shows. Well, were we ever wrong! We walked into the mall a couple of hours before game time and it was packed. It was wall-to-wall people. Weather be damned - UConn fans were not going to miss a Tennessee game during that era. By game time, the civic center was full and rocking. There was a real feeling of community throughout the game - a feeling of pride and affection for this program, the players and all the fans. We all shared the same special feeling. It was heartwarming. After the UConn win, people just stayed in their seats. It seemed like no one wanted to leave. Geno picked up a microphone to address the crowd and thank us for coming. He was touched and his message was heartfelt and sincere. Before game time, we booked a room at the hotel attached to the civic center in case the weather got as bad as predicted. We were waiting for an elevator along with Pat Summit. She was quite loud as she told the people in her party that she did not believe Tennessee fans would have shown up under these conditions, like the UConn fans did. Hearing that felt good.

Reaction Score
I just rewatched the Maryland game from earlier this season (thank you @MJL243). There’s a stretch from about the 5 minute mark in the 2nd when Paige and Sellers get in a little fracas over a rebound. Paige is called (rightly) for an intentional foul, and Shyanne shoots the free throws to take a 25-22 lead. From that moment until the half, Paige is on a mission and leads 20-2 run and UConn ended the half leading 42-27. The game was effectively over at that point. The lesson here: don’t piss off Paige.

I suspect there’d been some tensions between Paige and Shyanne, which is unusual in itself. That intentional foul was pure frustration on Paige’s part about something. Sellers is a great player, and there’s a lot to like about her game. But Paige held a clinic in court dominance and showed how much greater she is.

Reaction Score
Wilnet and the BT express in Bridgeport against :?? DUKE? the Best game Wilnet played --but the most superb game Barbara Turned every played--dehydrated, leg cramps- she put the team/the game on her back and --came close to a win. Superb performance.
I was at that game too. Yes, I believe it was Duke.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom