Favorite Album; with a caveat - | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Favorite Album; with a caveat -

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't have a particular favorite either. However, these days I do seem to favor just about any of Eilen Jewell's albums. They are all fine to me, and I just love her jazzy laconic singing.
She’s great too. Saw her at Rhythm and Roots Fest a few years ago and was very impressed. Picked up Queen of the Minor Key and Letters from Sinners & Strangers, both of which I really like. But I think she’s had one or two more since then because I hear her a lot on the Loft. She’s another one who played Cafe Nine recently who I had to miss.

Speaking of Cafe Nine, one I did not miss was Chuck Prophet, who absolutely killed it there a few years ago and made me an instant fan. I think a lot of you guys would like him too.

Reaction Score
She’s great too. Saw her at Rhythm and Roots Fest a few years ago and was very impressed. Picked up Queen of the Minor Key and Letters from Sinners & Strangers, both of which I really like. But I think she’s had one or two more since then because I hear her a lot on the Loft. She’s another one who played Cafe Nine recently who I had to miss.

Speaking of Cafe Nine, one I did not miss was Chuck Prophet, who absolutely killed it there a few years ago and made me an instant fan. I think a lot of you guys would like him too.

I have those two Eilen Jewell albums, plus Sea of Tears, Sundown Over Ghost Town, plus Butcher Holler: A Tribute to Loretta Lynn. Jewell put out another album last year that I still have to pick up.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I haven't seen Eilen Jewell live yet, but I'd definitely like to. Another maybe similar artist I really like, outside the mainstream country singer with a pretty laid back style, is Zoe Muth. I've seen her live a bunch of times. She's from Seattle, used to play shows here often. Then she moved to Austin, TX. Was playing gigs all around Texas, but it seems like she's been inactive for the last year or two.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If we can list greatest hits albums, I'd mention The Tubes - Rarities and Smash Hits.

I stumbled upon a Tubes concert on late night HBO when I was in High School, and it caused me to pick this up. Really a fantastic and underrated collection of tunes.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If we can list greatest hits albums, I'd mention The Tubes - Rarities and Smash Hits.

I stumbled upon a Tubes concert on late night HBO when I was in High School, and it caused me to pick this up. Really a fantastic and underrated collection of tunes.

They were weird, but an incredibly tight band even when live. Exceptional musicians and back in the day, that was a show not to me missed.

Reaction Score
I'll out myself as a hipster and throw out some of my favorite albums that have been been in the rotation for years.
Boxer - The National
Bon Iver - Bon Iver
Tycho - Drive
Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds of Country Music

Reaction Score
Makes me think of Counting Crows, August and Everything After. I remember a friend gave me a heads up right around the time "Mr. Jones" was released and they were playing at Toad's. Great show, and the album was a fixture for years thereafter. Still holds up incredibly well. Great album--one of the best debut albums of all time imo.

This would be my answer. Great album all the way through. Anna Begins and Omaha are incredibly well written songs that never saw commercial success.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This would be my answer. Great album all the way through. Anna Begins and Omaha are incredibly well written songs that never saw commercial success.
“Rain King” popped up on my running playlist this morning, second song during the run. Perfect spot for it to put a little more kick in my step.

Reaction Score
Sonic youth - Daydream nation (Full Album)

As far as late 80s albums, this one is both legendary and so innovative. Beautiful album.

For sure.

Built To Spill - Perfect From Now On (Full Album)

Love the lyrics

Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It in People (Full Album)

That Stone Roses album is magnificent. A shame they never got bigger. Big fan of a lot of those Madchester bands.

Broken Social Scene is another great band. And they’re still putting out good stuff.

A few more:

Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights

Disclosure - Settle

Grimes - Art Angels

Tame Impala - Currents

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Grimes - Art Angels

For a long time I turned up my nose at electronica/synth pop. I finally got over my biases toward it and now very much enjoy a handful of bands/musicians in that genre. Agree, that is a really good record.

Reaction Score
For a long time I turned up my nose at electronica/synth pop. I finally got over my biases toward it and now very much enjoy a handful of bands/musicians in that genre. Agree, that is a really good record.
Yea it’s not much of a leap for me. I grew up on groups like Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim, Daft Punk and so many other much more obscure techno acts. I’m glad to see elements of that style of music infiltrating more mainstream music genres. I have fond memories of staying up late Saturday nights as a teenager to watch Amp on MTV just to catch some new acts. Good times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom