Favorite Album; with a caveat - | The Boneyard

Favorite Album; with a caveat -

Reaction Score
What is your favorite album not by a complete superstar ensemble? No Beatles, no Rolling Stones. No Metallica. No Dead. No Eminem. No Dylan. etc. etc.

I'll go first:

Brand New - The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me

tied with

Jason Isbell - Southeastern

Jason Isbell - Cover Me Up (w/ Lyrics)

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
"True Democracy" by reggae gods Steel Pulse.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I love Isbell (and if you love that song, check out "Elephant," one of the most achingly beautiful and difficult songs I've ever heard); but I don't understand the question. "Complete superstar ensemble?" And then you reference some legendary classic rock bands and two individuals?

Do you simply mean favorite albums by people or bands that aren't and/or never became big stars?

Isbell is hardly under the radar btw. Putting aside his DBT pedigree, he has a few Grammys under his belt already, and a few more nominations.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Also in the running: The Tortoise and The Crow -- Eligh and The Grouch (long, but great vibes) and Them Crooked Vultures -- Self-Titled (they're stars on their own, but much more anonymous together).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't have one favorite. There are a handful I go back to time and again.

Black 47 - Fire of Freedom
BeBop Deluxe - Modern Music
Black Grape - It's Great When You're Straight
Steve Forbert - Alive on Arrival

There are plenty of good songs in the past 20 years, but have yet to come across a well crafted album in that time.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hard one. But for some reason this post made me thing of an Album I loved a ton back in the day. Black Crowes - Amorica.
Makes me think of Counting Crows, August and Everything After. I remember a friend gave me a heads up right around the time "Mr. Jones" was released and they were playing at Toad's. Great show, and the album was a fixture for years thereafter. Still holds up incredibly well. Great album--one of the best debut albums of all time imo.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Hard one. But for some reason this post made me thing of an Album I loved a ton back in the day. Black Crowes - Amorica.

Good Album.

I think Southern Harmony is better though. Really, really love that Album.

cant pick one. Here are some favorites

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories still makes my rotation a ton.

Bob Marley - Uprising

Lou Reed - New York (if you spent any time in the city in the late 80's you will realize what a pure masterpiece this is)

Lenny Kravitz - Let Love Rule (still my favorite album of his BY FAR)

Reaction Score
Easy: Art of Life - by Charon Don and DJ Huggy

The Bonus Track (track 18) is one of the best tracks in all of hip-hop history IMHO.

Only reason I even knew this existed was that I met Huggy when he came to NYC with Wiz Khalifa (way back in the day before he blew up). Some epic tracks on this album. Charon Don is one of the best MCs I've come across - and yet never made it.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I have a really hard time picking a "favorite" in any category--food, movie, band, song, etc. etc. But to play along I'll throw out "Too Far To Care" by the Old 97's. That record is quality all the way through. They did a tour commemorating the 15 year anniversary of its release. Played the whole album straight thru, took a short break, then played a whole bunch of their other stuff. That was a great concert!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have a really hard time picking a "favorite" in any category--food, movie, band, song, etc. etc. But to play along I'll throw out "Too Far To Care" by the Old 97's. That record is quality all the way through. They did a tour commemorating the 15 year anniversary of its release. Played the whole album straight thru, took a short break, then played a whole bunch of their other stuff. That was a great concert!
Holy crap. I just came here to post about the Old 97s after another one of their tunes (Big Brown Eyes) popped up on my running playlist during my run tonight (I several of their songs on that playlist; great running music). I love that band and cannot believe how consistently they kick out kickass, smart, funny and interesting rock-n-roll tunes and quality albums. I love their old stuff but their last two albums have been phenomenal. Saw them perform in NYC a few years ago and keep trying to catch them again. Rhett Miller was at Cafe Nine in New Haven a month or so ago but I wasn’t able to make it. That would be a great place to see them, but I can’t believe they’re not playing to sold out big rooms every night. They are a ton of fun.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah Rhett is playing a solo gig here some time in the near future. I saw them at a midsized club, The Showbox, in downtown Seattle. It's a fairly hip spot for live music but definitely not big.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah Rhett is playing a solo gig here some time in the near future. I saw them at a midsized club, The Showbox, in downtown Seattle. It's a fairly hip spot for live music but definitely not big.
If you don’t have Most Messed Up, the album before their most recent one, Graveyard Whistling, you should. I like them both but the former is just a notch above. It was my favorite new album of 2014 and I still spin it often. Has a great sound and raw energy to it. Those guys can write a hook.

Reaction Score
I love Isbell (and if you love that song, check out "Elephant," one of the most achingly beautiful and difficult songs I've ever heard); but I don't understand the question. "Complete superstar ensemble?" And then you reference some legendary classic rock bands and two individuals?

Do you simply mean favorite albums by people or bands that aren't and/or never became big stars?

Isbell is hardly under the radar btw. Putting aside his DBT pedigree, he has a few Grammys under his belt already, and a few more nominations.
the entirety of southeastern is a masterpiece.

I didn't explain it that well but people in here seem to get the picture. Things that wouldn't be found on a Rolling Stone top 100 list

Curiouser
Reaction Score
the entirety of southeastern is a masterpiece.
He’s also a great live performer. Saw him at Arch St in Hartford a few years ago and then the last few times it’s been at College Street in New Haven where he has sold out the joint.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
If you don’t have Most Messed Up, the album before their most recent one, Graveyard Whistling, you should. I like them both but the former is just a notch above. It was my favorite new album of 2014 and I still spin it often. Has a great sound and raw energy to it. Those guys can write a hook.

They've put out a bunch of albums. I've only got a few of them. The Grand Theater Vol.1 and Vol. 2 are a bit hit a miss, some great songs but some not up to par. If that was one album instead of two and you cut out some filler, it would be awesome. They'd released those not long before that 15 year anniversary tour, so they played several cuts from both. Rhett has a great voice but I find I tend to really like the few songs that Murry sings lead on.

Reaction Score
listening now. really like it so far

Reaction Score
do you know if the song Salome is in any sort of famous movie or tv show? I swear I've heard that song a ton of times before. Maybe I'm remembering from when I was really young on 104.1 or something...

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Turns out IMDB has info on songs appearing in movies or television episodes. I knew the Old 97's had a song on the soundtrack to Clay Pigeons ("Timebomb"; that's actually how I discovered them). I think I knew this but then forgot, in the movie "The Break-Up" there is a scene in the movie that takes place at one of their concerts and features several of their songs, including "Salome." Not sure if that's what you were thinking of JMick.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They've put out a bunch of albums. I've only got a few of them. The Grand Theater Vol.1 and Vol. 2 are a bit hit a miss, some great songs but some not up to par. If that was one album instead of two and you cut out some filler, it would be awesome. They'd released those not long before that 15 year anniversary tour, so they played several cuts from both. Rhett has a great voice but I find I tend to really like the few songs that Murry sings lead on.

Yeah I have like eight or nine of them I think; some are more consistent than others. That's what I love most about Most Messed Up: I think it's their most consistently strong release. And Wreck Your Life, which came right before Too Far to Care, has some of my favorites from them, like "Victoria" and "WIFE."

do you know if the song Salome is in any sort of famous movie or tv show? I swear I've heard that song a ton of times before. Maybe I'm remembering from when I was really young on 104.1 or something...

I don't know, but I find that a lot their songs feel like I've heard and liked them before even when I hear them for the first time.

Reaction Score
Turns out IMDB has info on songs appearing in movies or television episodes. I knew the Old 97's had a song on the soundtrack to Clay Pigeons ("Timebomb"; that's actually how I discovered them). I think I knew this but then forgot, in the movie "The Break-Up" there is a scene in the movie that takes place at one of their concerts and features several of their songs, including "Salome." Not sure if that's what you were thinking of JMick.
i had no idea imdb had that info, thanks. unfortunately that's not a movie I've seen before. it's extremely familiar though.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I don't know, but I find that a lot their songs feel like I've heard and liked them before even when I hear them for the first time.

I love it when that happens!

Reaction Score
I don't have a particular favorite either. However, these days I do seem to favor just about any of Eilen Jewell's albums. They are all fine to me, and I just love her jazzy laconic singing.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom