Fanta quotes unnamed high major coach on the portal | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Fanta quotes unnamed high major coach on the portal

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, if a product can only exist the way you want it by exploiting the people who make it, then the product shouldn't exist. The fact that probably a few hundred million dollars are flowing to players per year across football and basketball shows how imbalanced the old way was. I think the flaws with the new system are obvious, but the good it does for the players outweighs them.

I think if there were basically any restrictions put in place (ability to commit to multi year contracts, etc) we would be able to land in a happy middle ground. Obviously the legality of any restrictions will be challenged and I have no idea what a realistic solution might look like, but hopefully we get something eventually.
The money is not flowing from the ncaa, a lot of it seems to be bankrolled from rich boosters. I am totally in agreement with the players making money from sales or earned endorsements. Paying before they perform at your university seems to be unsustainable to me

Reaction Score
All you have to do is limit the number of transfer a student athlete can get.

They should be able to leave, but honestly they're only there for four years. Unlimited transfers is a joke.

Cap it at two, unless there's a coaching change. Problem solved.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's as big a deal as the rest of you do, and certainly not enough to restrict players' rights like they were before NIL existed.
Do you support any restriction? How about mid-year transfer, right before the conference & NCAA tournament so a player can experience a deep tourney run?

I’d argue the NCAA needs to set reasonable guardrails on transfers to protect the viability of college sport. And good college players have a lot more options than people acknowledge, including the option to play for any number of pro leagues here and around the globe.

Nobody seems to have a problem with the NBA draft preventing college players from being free agents out of college (to contract with any team they want) because of a union contract that these players were never part of. But those are the rules and it serves it’s purpose well.

Reaction Score
Something that's not talked about in this free for all booster payment era is once you set the market how do you retain players?

If the big pay schools are doling out say 1 million each for top recruits/transfers won't those kids expect that or even more to stay on for each following season? It doesn't seem like a championship winning formula for programs like Duke, Kansas, Kentucky...

Say you pay Sean Stewart that money, human nature tells me he's going to expect another payment in that range from the school for next season...either he's going to tell them to kick rocks if they don't offer that money again or the school is going to tell him to kick rocks and pay the next shiny new player. Continuity still matters and reloading with one year rentals out of high school and the portal isn't going to get it done, IMO.

Reaction Score
Perhaps I'm yelling at clouds, but I agree 100%. The NCAA knew that this would be coming and was caught with their pants down and now the whole system is broke. It's a joke. And while we have been very successful utilizing the portal, I legit hate it.

What reasonable parameters could be put into place? I, for one, think it's ridiculous that players can bounce within conference and that theoretically a guy (looking at you AJ) can bounce to four schools in four years just chasing the cash. Could they "cap" the portal?
The NCAA has no standing regarding nil
If they reinstate it having to sit out a year when you transfer I’m pretty certain that would be overturn by the courts
The only way to change the current system is to have players signed contracts as employees
As far as the coaches go
Well, I understand this has made their job much more difficult They will either adjust to the changes or move on.
What I always find serious is why fans get upset about this
The N I,L and the portal have I believe, added to the popularity of college basketball

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I would submit it's better for some players and may eventually be better for most players, but it's not better for all players. What's happening is that marginal kids who might've been able to hang on in a program and get a degree are now up on the sidelines when they enter the portal in the hopes of making NIL windfall. You can argue that that is capitalism at play, and thus "fair", but this isn't some beatific benefit for the players. It's an opportunity for the very best to get a huge windfall and the players to get some pocket change that comes at the expense of the marginal kids.
Capitalism is also in play in the scenarios bemoaning the status of folks having to work two jobs to make ends meet. It's why, when I was in demand at the top of my field, I could switch employers every two years and negotiate for a significant bump in pay & benefits. Skills are either in demand and paid a premium, or skills (or lack thereof) are a commodity and compensated as such. r

At any rate, an argument that says capitalism is good for players, but coaches shouldn't whine while some folks struggle from payday to payday is a crap argument. It's all dictated by capitalistic market forces.

As Alec Baldwin said to Mark Wahlberg: "The world needs plenty of bartenders."

FTR, I say this as someone who, when I later owned my own business, had to go on food stamps for a month or so in order to make payroll during the 08-09 recession. Nobody to blame but me. I could've taken a menial job and made more per hour and not have the burden of working every single weekend and taking my job home with me every single night, but I'd put in my time in corporate so I didn't have to work for anyone but myself.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Do you support any restriction?

I support reasonable restrictions that have a legitimate purpose. I think a lot of the anger from people and calls for restrictions don't have good enough reasons to consider putting them in place.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm going with that's a coach who lands top recruits and now hates losing them. Either that or his school has no NIL

Self & Squid meet the first standard. Maybe Izzo

That been coaching a long time thing eliminates many programs

Can also be a midmajor coach I suppose

Reaction Score
NBA = professional employees.

The colleges are trying to avoid that.

You don't see the big difference?
You have said so succinctly when I have tried to post about a half a dozen times( in a long, winded way lol )

Reaction Score
I'm going with that's a coach who lands top recruits and now hates losing them. Either that or his school has no NIL

Self & Squid meet the first standard. Maybe Izzo

That been coaching a long time thing eliminates many programs

Can also be a midmajor coach I suppose
The tweet says unnamed high major coach. Izzo clearly hates it, Pitino says he hates hit but he lives off of it and he always puts his name behind what he says. I'm sure a lot of them hate it.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Do you think all of the kids who leave are leaving for a better situation?

There has to be a balance where a kid isn’t leaving for no reason and having a way for a kid who is genuinely in a bad situation has an opportunity to leave.

I don't believe you or I or anyone else except for that kid deserves to make that decision for him or her. I am certain that some of the hundreds of kids that end up transferring will end up making a bad decision, but isn't it good that they have the choice?

Reaction Score
I don't think it's as big a deal as the rest of you do, and certainly not enough to restrict players' rights like they were before NIL existed.
It's not a "rights" restriction. Sports are competitive. To keep competition fair you need rules

Reaction Score
The NCAA screws up virtually everything they touch.
One of the worst managed organizations on the planet.
Time to blow it up and find a better alternative that will consider all the schools at all levels rather than a handful.
Too late. SEC and B10 hold all the power because of the product on the field/court and the insatiable appetite of the consumer.

I am all for the kids getting paid something on the money being made off them but this system is making me lose interest in college sports as a 40+ year fan. I am already only watching UConn football and will not be watching the college FB playoffs (unless UConn is in :)) because of the recent expansion and guaranty of half the playoff field coming from the SEC and B10.

And, when these conferences and their media partners also ruin college basketball and March Madness which I really hope doesn’t happen then at that point, I will be watching professional sports only. I may be there sooner if the SEC and B10 get to break off the top 50/60 programs and form their own league.

Again, nothing against the kids getting paid but it’s a real shame as to where we are now and likely headed.

Reaction Score
My question is, why was it a bad thing for those diamond in the rough kids to have to stay at those schools outside of money? Which if you are that diamond in the rough, like the kid from Oakland, the money will find you.

If you are good you do not need to go to a high major for the NBA to find you. Ask Steph, CJ McCollum, Dame Lillard, Ja Morant, etc.

Jimmie would’ve been a millionaire at BYU with NIL. They do not need to go to high majors for much except for a slightly better chance to win. But did Seth even make it farther in the NCAA tourney than Steph?
Nobody is making kids leave the mid majors though. If they develop and want to move up to a higher level they should have that option. And there's plenty of examples of kids making that decision both ways, not everyone is leaving. That's why despite all the complaining, there are still a lot of mid majors who make deep runs in March

Reaction Score
It's not a "rights" restriction. Sports are competitive. To keep competition fair you need rules
Until you collectively bargain and give away your rights in exchange for something, it is absolutely a rights issue, and that is why the courts have ruled against the NCAA every time

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
There need to be some rules. Whether that's caps (per player and/or team), I don't know. Also, I'm in favor of players' freedom of movement, but having a guy be able to transfer 4 years in a row is a bit silly. How about one time for any reason, and unlimited moves in the event of a coaching change (or extenuating circumstances)?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I am 100% all for players making money off their name, image, and likeness. I can’t get behind kids getting outright paid by programs. There’s no argument against players making money off jersey sales, selling autographed/personalized items, and signing contracts with companies to be partners. But when programs are just straight up offering $1 million that’s not good and this can’t go on the way it is.

I agree with you on principle, but it seems to me like the loopholes would swallow the rule. School can't pay? OK, boosters pay $750K for him to show up at some event to sign autographs.

Reaction Score
The current scenario is not what these coaches signed up for. It's as if their job description now carries 2x the duties with no increase in pay and half the job satisfaction (inability to develop kids, form lasting relationships). I have zero issue with them complaining.

Also, regardless of how much money one makes, humans are not machines that can run forever uninterrupted. Humans need downtime.
My company just acquired another company back in February & I am one of the people in charge to make sure the transition goes smooth & operationally everything works- I wasn’t told this would be part of my job description also was given no increase- in business this is common practice especially when you are a manager or coach of a business.

Reaction Score
NBA = professional employees.

The colleges are trying to avoid that.

You don't see the big difference?
LMAO. Avoid players being professionals? They have allowed it and are encouraging it. They’ve just put themselves on the idiotic path of thinking that if the athletes are paid, better someone else should pay them.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
You are basically adding a month of intense and compact recruiting etc to the calendar every year on top of an already very demanding schedule
1. They all get paid very well.
2. Find a way to delegate like create internships for people to do the busy work stuff. If you want to get a strength coach certification you have to intern (most likely for nothing or peanuts).
3. We live in a capitalist economy. If the highest paid coaches are willing to collectively take a minor cut they can reallocate some of their pay to a subordinate. Be creative. Share the wealth. There are worse jobs.

Reaction Score
My company just acquired another company back in February & I am one of the people in charge to make sure the transition goes smooth & operationally everything works- I wasn’t told this would be part of my job description also was given no increase- in business this is common practice especially when you are a manager or coach of a business.
You also may not be in a position where you can just leave. Jay Wright got out because of it, I suspect Roy got out because of it and coach K probably left a couple years earlier than he wanted because of it. We'll see more coaches leave because of it and it seems unlikely coaches will stay forever at their schools anymore if this is the new normal. The current setup isn't sustainable.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

That line of thinking is opening up a whole other can of worms. Is it fair that Alabama has a $280 million practice facility?

Reaction Score
You also may not be in a position where you can just leave. Jay Wright got out because of it, I suspect Roy got out because of it and coach K probably left a couple years earlier than he wanted because of it. We'll see more coaches leave because of it and it seems unlikely coaches will stay forever at their schools anymore if this is the new normal. The current setup isn't sustainable.
Agreed- NCAA or congress needs to put some parameters on the transfer portal & the NIL entity as a whole. Again, as many people have said on this thread- doesn’t mean those parameters need to be a negative for the players- the system as it exist is not palatable at scale as we are already starting to see.

Reaction Score
Izzo clearly hates it
That's rich. He's got a former player whose a billionaire and has pledged 10s of millions of dollars to the school and basketball program.

Izzo complains about everything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom