Fanta picks Providence | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fanta picks Providence

Reaction Score
Best Who Cares GIFs | Gfycat

Reaction Score
We have enough. After the Gampel game Cooley pretty much guaranteed they'd beat us if we met again in BET.

If Hurley doesn't already have that on the bulletin board it would be motivational coaching malpractice
Yep. Just show them Cooleys post-game press conference where he was over his skis a bit. That and it being the BET in MSG and that should be enough red meat for the boys.

Reaction Score
was clicking around y'day and looks like, if I wasn't mixing games up.. PC shot 442 free throws at home and 247 away. I hope MSG really turns out to be Storrs South and not DunkSouth or whatever they came up with on twitter.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
was clicking around y'day and looks like, if I wasn't mixing games up.. PC shot 442 free throws at home and 247 away. I hope MSG really turns out to be Storrs South and not DunkSouth or whatever they came up with on twitter.

Oh we will outnumber them; by a really healthy margin. But remember. Every other BigEast team fan there will be a PC fan that afternoon. Who do you think Marquette fans will root for?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That might apply if it was a regular season game in January but it's the Big East tournament. I don't see any way it's possible UConn is feeling cushy and won't be up for it. Everything you do in the offseason and play for all season is for this moment.
I agree, except...Maryland and NM State. That said, Andre and Adama played through those, so I think they will make sure the same mistakes don't happen again.

Reaction Score
Oh we will outnumber them; by a really healthy margin. But remember. Every other BigEast team fan there will be a PC fan that afternoon. Who do you think Marquette fans will root for?

Wait a sec...I thought that PC is the "dog backed into the corner that no one wants to face"??? ;)

Soooo confused...wouldn't that mean Marquette fans would actually want us to win and root for us?

If the refs allow PC to play bullyball without calling fouls, it will be a close game. PC will test the refs early to get a feel for that. If the refs don't call the game like it's a game at the AMP, I love our chances.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Wait a sec...I thought that PC is the "dog backed into the corner that no one wants to face"??? ;)

Soooo confused...wouldn't that mean Marquette fans would actually want us to win and root for us?

If the refs allow PC to play bullyball without calling fouls, it will be a close game. PC will test the refs early to get a feel for that. If the refs don't call the game like it's a game at the AMP, I love our chances.
Have you considered the possibility that Providence playing out of their minds would still not be enough if UConn matches their intensity?

...Winky face...

Reaction Score
I agree, except...Maryland and NM State. That said, Andre and Adama played through those, so I think they will make sure the same mistakes don't happen again.
I don't think we came out flat or didn't give effort against NMSU. They just mainly had a crazy shooting day. NMSU was also a veteran team with a really good defensive coach (check out Miss St's defensive splits from last year and this year).

Maryland... I don't know what happened there. We gave great effort (killed them on the boards). But we couldn't make a layup. And maybe we've seen some things from Bouk now that put that team in a new light.

Reaction Score
Maybe we could start a "free brats on top of the empire state building" rumor during our game window and shoo them out of the arena

Reaction Score
I think he went to Seton Hall. I generally enjoy him, I do think he rides Providence a bit but whatever. I think he has to play that role given Dauster is a UConn guy. Jeff Goodman is easily the worst of that Field of 68 crew.
Pretty sure he did go to SH, just feel like he's gotten chummy with the PC fanbase, but kind of part of his shtick and he's entertaining for the most part.

I think this will be a brutal game - UConn will bring more fans, but all other fans will be routing for PC so that may even or negate that edge. I'd be surprised if either team laid the proverbial egg. Cooley may change up their line-up a bit. It would be odd to run the same line-up out there and expect different results in MSG or should I say odd to not be ready to change it up at the first sign of trouble.

Reaction Score
Not that shocking for anyone to pick PC given their situation hearing they’re on the bubble now. Watching the recent providence game highlights however I’m confident we come out looking okay. Who knows if our outside shots fall, if we play great but don’t hit a lot of shots and PC plays well, it’ll be a tough one decided down the stretch. Admittedly they have more experience winning close ones, so in that situation I won’t blame analysts for siding with them.

However, watching those highlights I’m so confident Hurley has the coaching strategy to beat them. In that game, Karaban was moving so aggressively, and definitely coached to take the ball to the hole on Hopkins whenever he could, likely to create situations for him to get fouls and have to sit.

If we come to play, Jackson is driving and moving without the ball and Sanogo doesn’t lay an egg, we got this

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don't think we came out flat or didn't give effort against NMSU. They just mainly had a crazy shooting day. It was also a veteran team with a really good defensive coach (check out Miss St's defensive splits from last year and this year).

Maryland... I don't know what happened there. We gave great effort (killed them on the boards). But we couldn't make a layup. And maybe we've seen some things from Bouk now that put that team in a new light.
Yes, agreed (shooting was mostly Teddy), but we found ways to lose games we had no business losing.

At some level, Fanta is right. UConn is either going to bring it or not. If we don't, we can lose to PC. If we do, we probably with this tournament.

Reaction Score
Yes, agreed (shooting was mostly Teddy), but we found ways to lose games we had no business losing.

At some level, Fanta is right. UConn is either going to bring it or not. If we don't, we can lose to PC. If we do, we probably with this tournament.
Sorry, I just need to make sure there's no revisionist history. NMSU shot 7/10 from 3 from their role players in that game. It was everybody on their team from 3. They made 65% from 3. Teddy made most of the shots down the stretch though. And one of those role players just won 6th man of the year in the toughest conference this year (Sir Jabari Rice on Texas in B12).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Sorry, I just need to make sure there's no revisionist history. NMSU shot 7/10 from 3 from their role players in that game. It was everybody on their team from 3. They made 62%. And one of those role players just won 6th man of the year in the toughest conference this year (Sir Jabari Rice on Texas in B12).
I didn't even remember that. Rice is good. It did feel a bit like Nova vs Georgetown.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I just need to make sure there's no revisionist history. NMSU shot 7/10 from 3 from their role players in that game. It was everybody on their team from 3. They made 65% from 3. Teddy made most of the shots down the stretch though. And one of those role players just won 6th man of the year in the toughest conference this year (Sir Jabari Rice on Texas in B12).

100%. We had a good scout and a sound gameplan. Their role players shooting 2-3 standard deviations better than expectation is what ultimately was the biggest contributor to why we lost that game. That was their "1 in 10" time that they beat us in a 10-game matchup. Just sucked that it happened in R1 of the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
100%. We had a good scout and a sound gameplan. Their role players shooting 2-3 standard deviations better than expectation is what ultimately was the biggest contributor to why we lost that game. That was their "1 in 10" time that they beat us in a 10-game matchup. Just sucked that it happened in R1 of the NCAAs.
The non-Allen guys shot 4/20 (20%) from 3 next game against Arkansas, despite being even more wide open because Arkansas was doubling Allen. Same ball. Same arena. Crap happens.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You know damn well that's not a thing.
He didn't mean the city Providence.
I don't think we came out flat or didn't give effort against NMSU. They just mainly had a crazy shooting day. NMSU was also a veteran team with a really good defensive coach (check out Miss St's defensive splits from last year and this year).
Yes, and Jordan Hawkins was out for the BET & NCAA due to concussion.
RJ Cole did not practice after the Creighton BET semi-final loss until just prior to the Maryland game, due to being in concussion protocol. He was not the player he was prior to his injury.

While sophomore season Hawkins is quite better than he was during his freshman year, both of these injuries were significant disruptions to the overall flow and performance of their teams.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
He didnt pick them to win the tourney, just beat us. He did say if he was wrong about that then UConn would win the tourney. Which I now put zero stock in his opinion on that because of his initial pick.
I actually agree with this. If anyone is going to beat us it’s Providence. They are playing for pride and the emotion of that matchup and the early start are all concerning.

That said, I really like our chances of settling in and winning the whole thing if we survive the first test.

Marquette flips the paradigm and now we’re looking to make a statement again against the 1 seed who we seem to match up really well against.

Get to the final and the place will be 90% UConn fans.

Reaction Score
Who cares
This X100. No offense to Fanta because he seems like a generally likable and insightful guy, but him picking PC over us holds absolutely zero value.

There is no chance he can consistently pick winners against the spread or in toss up games to an extent that it would be reliable information.

Reaction Score
We have enough. After the Gampel game Cooley pretty much guaranteed they'd beat us if we met again in BET.

If Hurley doesn't already have that on the bulletin board it would be motivational coaching malpractice
Reading their board yesterday they are concerned about grit and concerns about chemistry and the like. I remember how horrible we looked after we list to St John’s at home. Shocking but we turned it around. Hoping PC still has concerns and not fired up yet. I’m expecting a solid win but don’t trust PC. Thinking the line will be we give 5. In Hurley we trust!!

Reaction Score
He didn't mean the city Providence.

I know. It was obviously a joke.

Since all the best jokes require explanation; the implication was that since no one cares about pc basketball, no one would even think to host a podcast about it.
It would be like if I had a podcast listing all the things i have in my garage. No one cares.

I hope that clears it up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom