Fans | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Been to every UCONN home game. Thought that the crowd could be grade "B". It was the best this year I will tell you.

Reaction Score
It needs to be said...

Notre Dame/Stanford - overtime - place is rocking.

UConn/Temple - overtime - after a missed FG told me all i need to know about the UConn fan base. Completely dead - i was screaming at people in sec 202 that the players deserve better, the players deserve our support. It's bad that the only response I got was from a Temple fan after the game that said, 'our fans are the same way.'

It's sad - they deserve more...
We're not ND! Never have been, never will be. Vanderbilt, Washington State, Virginia, Indiana, Minnesota, Kansas....maybe. ND never

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Something definitely needs to be done about keeping the student section full. We have, by FAR, the worst student section in the country. I was sickened when UConn lost the coin flip and chose to go towards their student section (like EVERY home team chooses for extra loud support) and the student section was 1/8 full. It's not the first time that this has happened too. I remember that Pitt double OT game years ago and I remember running from my seats in section 139 to go into the student section area to help with crowd noise.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
I so agree with the "winning keeps 'em coming back" mentality. I go...and stay. I might bitch and moan (which I did PLENTY of after the Temple debaucle) but I come back...and then I stay to the bitter end again.

Perhaps if the end weren't bitter so often, others might catch on. You can get people to try your new restaurant, but keep serving them white bread and chicken broth and see how many times they come back.

Unimaginative offense combined with letting off and sitting on a lead (again.) These things really do make for an apathetic fan base. You think this is strictly a UCONN thing? Happens everywhere when fans (and players) deserve more than they are getting from their coaching staff.

Reaction Score
We're not ND! Never have been, never will be. Vanderbilt, Washington State, Virginia, Indiana, Minnesota, Kansas....maybe. ND never
We can be better than some of those schools. Minnesota has 7 national championships. Vanderbilt pretty much created the SEC. The offensive captain of the first Super Bowl champion went to Indiana. Kansas, Virginia, Indiana, Washington State and Vanderbilt, we can easily be better than them in the long run. Sad that some of our fans like to imagine we can only have such a low ceiling. Success is not going to be achieved by sitting there, complaining and creating low expectations. Good thing Calhoun and Auriemma didn't listen to some fans. They are coaches with warrior mentalities. New schools win championships all the time. Colorado even has a freaking national title from around 20 years ago.

Either way, we do have support in our state for the program and the Bos-Wash megalopolis to recruit from. We are in the most heavily populated megalopolis (50+ million people, 1/6th of the country's population) that has a total of maybe around 10 FBS programs (less than 10% of all FBS programs, 8 BCS programs) and people think we can't ever attract top recruits? When we are one of the best public universities in the country? Excellent logic. ND had it's initial unexpected success because the Great Lakes region used to be one of the most heavily populated areas and had geniuses as coaches. (PP is definitely not a genius.)

Kansas football has 8 conference championships in their whole history. We have way more than 8. Washington State has 4. Virginia has 3. Indiana has 2. Geez. Amazing how myopic people can be. We're only a little more than 10 years in as an FBS program and we have more Big East titles than Rutgers. Players do feed off our attitudes. They know we care. If we have low expectations, then that's what we'll get. From the way it looks, plenty (including those who run the school) have high expectations. Thankfully. Power shifts always happen.

Attendance actually started dropping last year. We had loads of sellouts before PP came in. Our second to last home game with Edsall was a sellout (3 sellouts out of 6 home games in 2010). PP never had a sellout so far. If we beat Vanderbilt, Iowa State and WMU last year, things would be quite different.

Reaction Score

Anyone remember the UConn/ND game? UConn fans took over that stadium. It's sad the team can't get that kind of support at home games...

OT and they are playing in a half empty stadium - pathetic. Don't go to the game if you don't care who wins.

Reaction Score
Anyone remember the UConn/ND game? UConn fans took over that stadium. It's sad the team can't get that kind of support at home games...

OT and they are playing in a half empty stadium - pathetic. Don't go to the game if you don't care who wins.

My dad, my son and I will never forget walking out of the venerable stadium to the chants of U-C-O-N-N

Reaction Score
Something definitely needs to be done about keeping the student section full. We have, by FAR, the worst student section in the country. I was sickened when UConn lost the coin flip and chose to go towards their student section (like EVERY home team chooses for extra loud support) and the student section was 1/8 full. It's not the first time that this has happened too. I remember that Pitt double OT game years ago and I remember running from my seats in section 139 to go into the student section area to help with crowd noise.
90% of students don't care about UConn football. Basketball? yeah. People camp out in freezing temps for good tickets and competition for bball tickets is fierce. Football has no history (don't kill me Carl and Pudge), and until UConn strings together many good seasons, you won't see students giving two about football.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Losing leads to apathy sorry to say. If UConn had been winning a couple of those games the crowd would have been nuts. The air was let out of the stadium when the kick was missed in OT.

Reaction Score
The general feeling in Section 103 was that the game NEVER should have come to overtime & the fans were numb over what they had just witnessed. With plain eyes you could tell which team had momentum & which one couldn't get off of the field soon enough.

How far is this program gonna fall? Now Saturday was the result of apathetic fans? WTF, this isn't Pop Warner football and the need to be supportive to the players. This program needs to be exciting. They need to give fans many reasons why they (the fans) can't afford to miss a minute of action.

Indictments of the program (on the fans part)? How about folks who think that PP deserves more time? Or that Connecticut isn't going to be a place of interest to some of the "name coaches" that have been thrown out? Or hoping against hope that the Huskies return to "smashmouth" football, so that they can grind out a 14-10 "thriller (aka snoozefest)?

How about something totally contrary to what we have? An up and coming coach who can recruit, who believes that it will take 30+ points minimum to win a game. Who plays beat the clock in order to put up one or two more TD's as insurance? Excitement is exactly what was missing on Saturday in the ill-fated overtime.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Just shows you how much the opponent and winning matter. ND wasn't winning and playing, to them, an unattractive opponent. For us, during a season of high anticipation it was as big a game as there could be. I'm actually a bit embarrassed that the final score is flashed during the pre-game video, though it still makes me grin.

I think the NNBE schedule will continue to have a negative effect on attendance. Which is why we should schedule as many attractive OOC games as we can and rely on BE games to become bowl eligible. The conditions have changed. If we are going to be here, we need to.adapt.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I wish we could have bottled the fervor from the MD game. If, for once, the entire rent crowd was that into it, we would bring the house down.

Reaction Score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...est-fan-bases-of-2012-ranking-all-120-schools

#95 - Ahead of Navy - Behind Duke.

"Unless you're a football player, coach, parent of a player, parent of a coach or a player or coach's wife, girlfriend, etc, you don't think of UCONN as a football school. I mean, who among us hears the name "UCONN" and thinks "football." Come on. Even when this team made a BCS bowl, nobody from their college showed up. You know other schools would have students (and hotties) caravanning en masse. Minus points. There's more to college than basketball."

Reaction Score
Remember when people used to go to the Greer Field House for Woman's bball games because it was the quietest place on campus to study? Not too long ago. Winning changes a lot of things. Perception of the program. Fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom