Fairfield standout potential transfer to UCONN - article | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fairfield standout potential transfer to UCONN - article

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Carnac you can't say "rental". Tennessee will turn UConn in to the NCAA!
Somewhere, in the dark recesses of the underground bunker which she calls home, I suspect The Summit’s Maria Cornelius has a detailed dossier on everyone of us. Carnac just got another page in his.

Reaction Score
With all of the talent for guards in the transfer portal, I would hope that a good deal of consideration is given before a decision for one or two players is made. I would also hope that another very tall person would also be brought aboard just as a backup as we have seen injuries do not discriminate which player suffers an outcome.

Since I do not remember names, what happened to that 6' 7" person that is available.

Reaction Score
:eek: Sure it does. UCONN graduated two guards, without replacements the deficiency would be greater no?
No. It’s not a math game. It’s a need game. No need to replace 2 of anything unless the need is there. This need was there even before the 2 guards left. Now, it’s even more of a need because a big went with them. If you’re short on Brazil nuts, and bring in peanuts, you’re still short on Brazil nuts.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No. It’s not a math game. It’s a need game. No need to replace 2 of anything unless the need is there. This need was there even before the 2 guards left. Now, it’s even more of a need because a big went with them. If you’re short on Brazil nuts, and bring in peanuts, you’re still short on Brazil nuts.
Good thing it not math because every math class I ever sat through would leads me to believe if you had 5 brazil nuts and sudden lost 2 of them your "need" would be equal to 2 if you intend to break even. Likewise if you had 4 peanuts and lost one the need to get back even would be 1. UCONN is bringing in two players that are capable of playing the post=peanuts. UCONN is not bringing in any guards (at the moment) =we don't have enough brazil nuts to get back to where we were. There is also a corollary which says two is greater than 1.
Math Wtf GIF

Did I lose you somewhere along the line?

Reaction Score
Good thing it not math because every math class I ever sat through would leads me to believe if you had 5 brazil nuts and sudden lost 2 of them your "need" would be equal to 2 if you intend to break even. Likewise if you had 4 peanuts and lost one the need to get back even would be 1. UCONN is bringing in two players that are capable of playing the post=peanuts. UCONN is not bringing in any guards (at the moment) =we don't have enough brazil nuts to get back to where we were. There is also a corollary which says two is greater than 1.
Math  GIF

2 May be more than one but not necessarily greater or better. Would you rather have Paige or 2 guards from Sister Mary’s School for Wayward Girls ? It’s not a numbers game. If all you want to do is replace leaving positions with the same amount of portal positions, you haven’t evaluated what is needed to improve.

I’ll leave Brazil nuts out of this. I don’t like them anyway. I’ll put it this way…………..

If we do nothing and just go with the current roster ….maybe bring in a couple of walk-ins to fill up the bench (they are always fun to have on the team and root for), we are a FF team.

If we bring in more guards from the portal, we are a FF team.

If we want to stop teasing the record for consecutive FF appearances without a NC, we need bigs who can get it done.

Portal players come in to help meet short term needs and goals. With the current roster, it wouldn’t take much to finally get over the hump. That help needs to be someone who helps us control the paint….rebounds and points.. not another 3 point shooter.

Reaction Score
But at least you have extra peanuts!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She won't get a guarantee of 25-30 minutes from Geno, but I think she could conceivably get that many minutes, but it would mean beating out Caroline as a starter at the 3. I don't think that is likely but I think it is possible.

I believe we can pencil in Paige for about 35, and Azzi and whoever starts at the 3 for another 30. That leaves about 25 minutes to split between the 4th and 5th guard. I assume Nika will get all of Paige's limited backup minutes (5). In essence Caroline, Nika and potentially Lou are then competing for backup minutes at the 2 and 3, but one of Caroline or Lou would probably start.

So strictly from Lou's standpoint if she came here she could get 30 minutes on the high side if she starts over Caroline, and at the other extreme if Nika clearly beats her out as the best backup guard which may not be likely, then Nika could get maybe 20 minutes and Lou only 5. If Lou was clearly the better backup guard maybe she gets close to 20 with Nika limited to being Paige's backup.

My best guess is that Caroline would start, but Lou might get more of the backup minutes than Nika, maybe around 15 minutes to 10 for Nika if everyone is healthy. Of course with any injury and only 4, the backup would get closer to 25 minutes and if we have two out at the same time we would be in big trouble, so getting a 5th guard is vital even if their role is just the 5th guard with minimal minutes.
She won't get a guarantee from Geno, but over the course of the season, she will get enough minutes to be satisfied. All of our guards ARE NOT going to be "ON" every night. There will also be nights when one of them just doesn't have it (they can't buy a basket in the first quarter), nursing an injury or is under the weather. There is an old saying........your skills and gifts will make room for you.

If she can ball, Geno WILL find minutes for her. ;) It would not surprise me one bit if the staff finds a player that is under the radar. Dorka Juhasz was not a "household name" when UConn reeled her in out of the portal. UConn has a penchant for finding players that did not necessarily have the spotlight on them. How many of us had heard of Lopez-senechal before MilfordHusky first mentioned her on March 30? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She would be a great add, if ... will she be a good bench player as Kiah (or Azura) was ?
Hard to say but I would like her to join

Reaction Score
Another guard doesn’t get us any closer to addressing the deficiency that allowed SC to dominate us.
you are forgetting that even with the great deficiency you are alluding to, we would have had a decent chance to win if we could simply make shots. This kid apparently can shoot and we could use that coming in off the bench. Need some players to replace CW and EW. Havent seen her play but if she can shoot open threes, then she can help.

Reaction Score
Math  GIF

Coco, I hear what you are saying and I don't want to get too nutty about this. I understand that if you lose 2 you need 2 to back to even. But do you really want to get back to even? I think it's better to look at what you got left, what you need, and try to fill that need. IMHO that need is a proven, experienced big, think Dorka 2.0. That should be the top priority, the best guard you can get is priority #2.

Reaction Score
Coco, I hear what you are saying and I don't want to get too nutty about this. I understand that if you lose 2 you need 2 to back to even. But do you really want to get back to even? I think it's better to look at what you got left, what you need, and try to fill that need. IMHO that need is a proven, experienced big, think Dorka 2.0. That should be the top priority, the best guard you can get is priority #2.
AP and Ice appear to be high energy hard workers, and if Amari understands the "practice at FULL speed" mentality so that the real game slows down for her, IMO the "Bigs" issue is solved. I know that is relying upon TWO Freshmen to grow up in a hurry, but that is what I saw with Caroline Ducharme and Azzi. Dorka was on the trajectory [fully healed] to be a steadying force in the paint, and AE was learning to "bang" down low without fouling too much [after she had 4 vs. Stanford, she played 16-ish minutes without a foul before fouling out].

As to replacing CW & Momma E, Caroline Ducharme showed consistency and scoring ability [mid-range, driving, and from beyond the arc] along with good defense, so she can step into many of CW's minutes and take on the "lock-down defender" mentality vs. opponent's 3 and/or 4. Momma E's replacement would be a combination of Azzi and Muhl [could be Muhl^2 if we can pick up Nika's little sister from Illinois - not sure if any of the coaches are following her....]. Azzi has the capacity to replace ALL of the scoring from CW, EW & ONO by herself, and Paige can pick-up the slack on any given night. Paige might even respond to the "score-first to open up the entire court for your teammates" coaching Geno has been trying to teach her to apply in big games.

Paige can do what she does naturally in the blow-outs, but she should consider the experiment of being the "pilot" [from Top Gun, "Mav, time to do some of that pilot sh--!!!!"] of showing how to score the first 6 - 10 points to force the defense to collapse on her, and THEN start the "dishing of dimes" [March of Dimes was already taken....].

Picking up transfers from the portal, IMO need two years of eligibility remaining, as the ones who stayed for the two years have had great success at UCONN, the "one & dones" not so much.... IMO it is a matter of buying into the program that gets you to the next level [WNBA, Olympics, & overseas] and wanting to show what you learned in March & April as a stepping stone to a GREAT 2nd year. If there is one or two of those women [two year buy in like Dorka, although we have not seen her GREAT 2nd year, yet] in the portal they will matriculate to UCONN and be successful.

Reaction Score
Yeah, you’re right, getting 6’4” Ice Brady and 6’2” Ayana Patterson, and having Dorka, Edwards, and 6’2” Ducharme back won’t help that deficiency in the post at all.:rolleyes:
Fully agree, and appreciate your sarcasm!

Also. if Amari buys into the system over Summer and gets serious about being better than Boston in the paint along with some better accuracy from 3, that's another 6'5" PF/C to "close the gap" - although SC had an A- game to our B- game in the offensive set, and SC's A game in rebounding to our C game in rebounding.

Go Huskies! Learn the lessons the first time, and come out Stronger and Tougher on BOTH sides of the court on every offensive possession as well as every defensive opportunity for a stop, block, or steal!!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
FWIW... IF, and it's a big "if", Ayanna and Ice can be counted on early and often, then that will go a long way to replace what we lose with Olivia. IMHO it will come down to a few options for Geno - take a already skilled post player with 1 or 2 years remaining, or take a high ceiling post player who may need time to develop (and I'm talking about 6'5" bangers, not 6'2" forwards).

If by some miracle, he was able to land Cunningham, then IMHO no need for option 2 - just a 1 year player.

For the guards, before anyone pencils in Paige for 35 MPG, etc. I think Geno will be more generous with the PT for other guards than he has been in the past. Last year we never really had the depth. Azzi and Nika had nagging injuries to start the season, then both missed games. Paige, as we all know, was out for a long stretch. He never had the luxury of 6 or so guards/wings to mix and match all season.

Next year he will only have 4 of them so IMHO I think a guard is more urgently needed than a post, but take both if possible.

Last note - for all the "we need shooters" (which i do NOT disagree with), Nika was a better 3-point shooter than both Christyn and Evina, she just didn't putt the trigger often (enough). Her % was almost identical to Paige's. All this in spite of a terrible start %-wise (due I think to her nagging injury).

Anyone who thinks Nika is a shooting liability is incorrect IMHO. What she is, is a reluctant shooter who relishes at dishing assists, but needs to take open shots more frequently.

I would love to see 2 guards hop on the UCONN train. Lopez is already a 40%+ 3-point shooter. The other guard does not need to be that good a shooter. But obviously does need to be capable of playing at an elite level.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't expect Aubrey to contribute AT ALL next season. I know the staff and DR's will evaluate and advise, but I'd love to see her spend a year rehabbing and working on her game rather than trying to play after losing so much time and having her game revert back to high school quality skill-wise.

She's almost starting from scratch after being unable to do anything physical for so long. For a player whose game is predicated on physical gifts and athleticism, she has a long road ahead of her to get back to anything resembling her former level.

Reaction Score
Yeah, you’re right, getting 6’4” Ice Brady and 6’2” Ayana Patterson, and having Dorka, Edwards, and 6’2” Ducharme back won’t help that deficiency in the post at all.:rolleyes:
I remember a similar debate last year about where the need was. Instead of Brady and a Patterson, it was Amari and Piath who were going to fill it.

If we knew that Brady and Patterson were going to be instant contributors, super-freshman, then my opinion would be wrong. But, If they need time, and we have our eyes on a NC next year, I believe we need help in the paint. Brazil nuts or no Brazil nuts.

Reaction Score
LLS smooth jump shot would play nicely as complementary rotation piece. Her size & solid build should provide some wing positional versatility. Maturity & experience— both collegiate & European should be a positive influence both on/off court. Worldly background fits well with Nika, Dorka, etc. Also like Latin connection re: future UConn recruiting (Aliyah Chavez, etc.)

P.S.— Her Fairfield post teammate Andrea Hernangomez has 2 brothers in NBA: Willy & Juan.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I remember a similar debate last year about where the need was. Instead of Brady and a Patterson, it was Amari and Piath who were going to fill it.

If we knew that Brady and Patterson were going to be instant contributors, super-freshman, then my opinion would be wrong. But, If they need time, and we have our eyes on a NC next year, I believe we need help in the paint. Brazil nuts or no Brazil nuts.
I get the point that you think UConn needs immediate help in the paint to battle a SC team that will be bringing back most of the core from this years championship team. What I have yet to hear from anyone is who exactly that help will be, specifically focusing on potential Bigs available in the portal.

There is no doubt that the UConn staff is reviewing every new name that hits the portal with 3 questions in mind:
  1. Are they better than any options we already have; i.e. Dorka, Aaliyah, healthy Aubrey, improved Amari and developing freshmen?
  2. Do they fit at UConn in terms of their ability to pick up UConn’s system quickly (I.e. Dorka) and be the type of team-oriented player UConn wants (I.e. Dorka)?
  3. Are they interested in transferring to UConn?
So far, I am not aware of any Big in the portal where the answer is yes to either of the first 2 questions, let alone 3. But I will leave that up to Geno and his staff to evaluate.

With that said, even if UConn can find another Big in the portal who can contribute next season, SC will be a prohibitive favorite to win back-to-back championships. While I know it’s sacrilegious to suggest, I contend that UConn is better served by developing their existing team for a title run in 2023-24, than adding another Big from the portal who is unlikely to deliver one next season.

Reaction Score
I get the point that you think UConn needs immediate help in the paint to battle a SC team that will be bringing back most of the core from this years championship team. What I have yet to hear from anyone is who exactly that help will be, specifically focusing on potential Bigs available in the portal.

There is no doubt that the UConn staff is reviewing every new name that hits the portal with 3 questions in mind:
  1. Are they better than any options we already have; i.e. Dorka, Aaliyah, healthy Aubrey, improved Amari and developing freshmen?
  2. Do they fit at UConn in terms of their ability to pick up UConn’s system quickly (I.e. Dorka) and be the type of team-oriented player UConn wants (I.e. Dorka)?
So far, I am not aware of any Big in the portal where the answer is yes to either of the first 2 questions, let alone 3. But I will leave that up to Geno and his staff to evaluate.

With that said, even if UConn can find another Big in the portal who can contribute next season, SC will be a prohibitive favorite to win back-to-back championships. While I know it’s sacrilegious to suggest, I contend that UConn is better served by developing their existing team for a title run in 2023-24, than adding another Big from the portal who is unlikely to deliver one next season.
Certainly fair points. If there is no one in the Portal who can be of immediate help in the paint, we move to another plan. Your “sacrilegious” statement is a sad one for a program with a singular goal every year. Not sure Paige would be thrilled by it. Putting hopes for at least one NC all on her senior year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Certainly fair points. If there is no one in the Portal who can be of immediate help in the paint, we move to another plan. Your “sacrilegious” statement is a sad one for a program with a singular goal every year. Not sure Paige would be thrilled by it. Putting hopes for at least one NC all on her senior year.
Not saying that UConn can not win next season. Injuries happen. Upsets happen. While SC has almost everyone coming back, as Geno has said before, “Just because you have everyone coming back, it doesn’t mean you’re the same team.”

Even if UConn doesn’t add a single player to the 10-player roster currently scheduled to return, I have no doubt the goals of getting to another FF and winning banner #12 will remain the same.

Perhaps, with Paige & everyone else a year older, better and healthy for the entire season, maybe UConn shocks the world next season by taking down SC.

Reaction Score
Mostly agree with both of you, but maybe too much is made of how we matchup with one specific team. I agree on paper SC appears to have superior bigs, and that is clearly a problem since they will probably be the top ranked team to start next season. On the other hand we appear to have the edge at guard, and we just don't know how some of our bigs will perform next year.

Will the addition of Ice and Ayanna compensate for losing Liv? Maybe who knows. Will Amari become a valuable backup to Dorka? Hopefully, and will we get sophomore Aaliyah or Freshmen Aaliyah. If she returns to freshmen form that will make a big difference. So the play could from our bigs could be better if Amari and Aaliyah improve, and Ayanna and Ice are as good as we hope, or worse if Amari and Aaliyah don't improve, and the freshmen are not ready to contribute.

As for the portal it seems to me the C's are not that special, perhaps more likely third string behind Dorka and Amari. At PF, however, there are several candidates that could threaten the playing time of any of our bigs, say like Edwards at Kentucky. Should we go after players like that? I don't know, it might be better to count on our own coming thru. If they do and Aubrey comes back we don't really have a problem with bigs even if we are still short of the team that is the best there in SC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Yeah, absolutely not. We don’t concede a single game, never mind a full season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yeah, absolutely not. We don’t concede a single game, never mind a full season.
That’s a bit of hyperbole. Geno commented going into this year’s FF that in almost all the years when UConn won the championship, he went into the FF with the best team. He also acknowledged that this year UConn didn’t have the best team and needed help from Stanford & SC. Stanford helped out. SC didn’t.

But there is still hope. Arguably in 2013 UConn didn’t have the best team either, having lost 3 times to ND and once to Britney Greiner and Baylor. Much like SC this past season, Baylor dominated in 2011-12, going 40-0 while winning their 2nd national championship.

In 2012-13 Baylor was #1 and undefeated, only to be upset by Louisville in the Elite 8. The 4th time was a charm as a hot UConn team lead by Stewie, their outstanding freshman, took down ND handily in the national semifinal and then easily defeated Louisville in the championship.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Math  GIF

I’m just wondering as I sit here in mid-April, will the additions Geno will make over the summer (whoever they may be), be enough to beat South Carolina in the tournament? As I clearly delineated in a post prior to the start of the games, the road to the championship goes through Columbia.

The site for next year's tournament will change, but not the path to get there. That remains the same. To beat SC, he must configure a team that can do so.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom