OT: - Facebook or Fakebook? | The Boneyard

OT: Facebook or Fakebook?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
We need an 'OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT' button.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
By the way, my likes on The Boneyard are for sale. I don’t care how lame your posts are, if you’ve got a Venmo account, I will like your posts as if they are chalk full of wit and insights. Get a premium account and I will also add comments like “that [insert name here] is one of the best posters on The Boneyard.”

PM me for the details.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
'Leaked documents reveal that a company that was once rebellious and optimistic is now bloated, regretful, and uncool.'
What Happened When Facebook Became Boomerbook - The Atlantic

ya think? duh...
and, as usual, deal with it, or not. still true.
I don't have time to read the article (appointment shortly) but I do have 2 comments to this thread that I don't think contradict your point at all -

1 - Facebook and all its apps are what you make of them. I enjoy seeing what some friends are doing and / or thinking, so I visit Facebook. Don't use any of the other apps (I do "chat" with one of our friends who prefers it to texting), don't need them in my life. Other folks decisions are their own to make.

2 - You simply cannot be naïve about electronics and social media platforms. It may be impossible to avoid all the negatives you might perceive, but there is nothing wrong with being aware of tracking, facial recognition, targeting and all the rest of it.

Oh, and a bonus - if I wanted to sell the Brooklyn Bridge (at a discount, no less) I would use social media.

Reaction Score
If you're in a predicament where your well being or future depends on purchased social media likes...your product or message sucks. Do better. The end.

Reaction Score
I've resisted Facebook (and all social media) for years. I only participate in a couple "hobby forums" such as the Boneyard. Is there a way to monitor specialty areas of Facebook without really participating? I'm tempted to plug-in so I can access news and, perhaps, buy stuff. I don't want it to take over my life. The fact that I'm even considering "joining" must mean it's OVER. Suggestions?

Reaction Score
I've resisted Facebook (and all social media) for years. I only participate in a couple "hobby forums" such as the Boneyard. Is there a way to monitor specialty areas of Facebook without really participating? I'm tempted to plug-in so I can access news and, perhaps, buy stuff. I don't want it to take over my life. The fact that I'm even considering "joining" must mean it's OVER. Suggestions?
RESIST. Be STRONG! Enjoy REAL life.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I have limited my indulgence in Facebook to family connections and former students (as far back as graduates 1965), and a close few friends. For myself, I have not found it at all difficult to resist any deeper immersion. More in-depth exchanges I do via email and texting-- I like the privacey, and it keeps the relationships as one-on-ones. That way it stays personal and mostly private. But those are my choices, within my comfort zone. So I'm amazed at how many young athletes post details about their lives and thoughts to scads of people, sometimes on public forums , , , e.g., The Boneyard.

Reaction Score
I use FB only to receive photos from family and friends. I have only a relatively small number of "friends" and no desire for more. I do not post, or "like" things or actively participate in anything. People with a lot more knowledge of this internet security stuff that I say that I minimize -- not eliminate, but minimize -- my chances that FB is paying much attention to me that way. I opted out of active Facebooking both because of security concerns and because I do not trust the Facebook people even a little bit.

Reaction Score
Does FB cause a mountain of unsolicited e-mails or SPAM - Can I lurk - That is, check out accessible groups (Like The Boneyard) without opening up to assault. BTW: I'm assuming some "group" require you to "sign up" to said group, no?

Reaction Score
I use Facebook's Messenger to call my relatives and friends free. It is quick and easy than others.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Does FB cause a mountain of unsolicited e-mails or SPAM - Can I lurk - That is, check out accessible groups (Like The Boneyard) without opening up to assault. BTW: I'm assuming some "group" require you to "sign up" to said group, no?
No to the e-mails and spam (so far as I know). I get an occasional e-mail that a particular friend has posted something, very seldom, and it has something to do with how their "friend" status is set up. Not every time they post something (which is often) just a couple times a week.

I don't belong to many groups, there is a Weird Stuff in Tucson group and a group associated with that Arizona Speaker Series my wife and I subscribe to. I sometimes get a notification on my phone of posts in the Tucson group, again not often. Both required getting approved, for the speaker series to access the group at all, the Tucson group I think just to be able to post (although in 3 years I think I've posted once to the group).

Of course you can lurk. Most would say I do. I post pictures of our seasonal décor and of some jigsaw puzzles I complete, probably less than once a month. Seldom anything else. I sometimes comment on friend's posts, but rarely. Maybe once or twice a week. That's more than enough for me. I read my "newsfeed" as its called just a couple times a day (morning, late afternoon, late night, typically). Usually just to read, as I say.

And finally, I have very few "friends" by Facebook standards. 54, it tells me. This includes some family, some Rutgers basketball friends, some folks from the Church where my wife was working when she became ill, some friends of her or "us", and just a couple folks I knew in college that recently "found" me on Facebook. Also a couple former co-workers. What makes this "important" for us is that these friends are almost all not in Tucson and some have not been seen in-person for 10, 15 or (for the college folks) over 40 years. So it is cool to be in touch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom