F the ACC - Official UCONN vs NCState prediction thread | The Boneyard

F the ACC - Official UCONN vs NCState prediction thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Welcome to UCONN Country Wolfpack, and btw, duck the ACC!

This one gets nasty and physical very early. Think last season's Rutgers game where our boys were not going to be denied.

Chandler throws a couple of TDs in the first half. Pretty sure it's Davis and Griffin as the recipients. Not much on the ground for Lyle or McCummings as the NCST defense stacks the line. Our defense gets burned on a big play. At the half it's 14-10 good guys.

Second half we get a big special teams play and three (count'em, three) turn overs (2 INTs and 1 fumble). That sets up a TD and two field goals. Another solid defensive effort. NCST gets one in the endzone late to keep in interesting.

27-20 UCONN and Randy is up next and going to be in a world of hurt.

pj

Reaction Score
This one is going to hinge on turnovers. How many INTs does Whitmer throw against a vaunted NC State secondary that got embarrassed last week? How many INT's does our defense get against a highly respected NC State QB who threw 4 INTs last week, handing the game to Tennessee, but had 31 TDs 12 INTs 3054 yards passing and a passer rating of 136.4 last year?

The other key aspect to the game is can UConn establish the run? Interior run defense is the weakest aspect of this NC State defense and if the O-line can open holes and we can get 4 YPC the tenor of the game will change. Forcing them to crowd the box should open up the rest of the playbook.

NC State is going to be at the top of their game -- they were embarrassed on national TV, yet only a half dozen plays made the difference -- the 4 INTs and some defensive lapses for huge TDs -- NC State looked as good as Tennessee for much of the game. They won't want to go 0-2, and Tom O'Brien will tighten up their play.

This will be a measuring stick game for the Huskies. I'm picking 23-20 UConn, but I don't have much confidence. The coaches as well as the players will need to be at the tops of their games.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think UConn is really going to struggle to move the ball. To win they will need to generate turnovers and outplay NCSU on special teams. I do think they can hold NCSU in check, especially on the ground. It's one of the most interesting games on the schedule this week, there aren't many good ones. At the risk of being bashed as negative, I don't think UConn wins - but I'm content in knowing that who I think is going to win doesn't impact the outcome. I'd say something like 21-10 NCSU.

Reaction Score
Glennon scares the bejesus out of me. His o-line betrayed him last weekend. IF UConn's defense can mount the same all out effort this week, he can be neutralized to a point. On offense, UConn's line MUST plow the field on running plays. I'm thinking a close game: Huskies 28 Wolfpack 24.
But what I'd like is:
Let's hang 60 on them!

Reaction Score
state is gonna come in loaded for bear. they def don't want to start 0-2.....our o-line is the key. they didn't dominate umass d like i hoped but don't know if that was due to coach p substituting freely & moving guys around.

Reaction Score
I predict the board will be calling for the NCAA to ban the Wildcat by the 3rd quarter after we continualy kill momentum by switching QB's. There will be a mini meltdown on the topic.

UConn 21-19. We will be up 14-3 at the half, 21- 6 going into the 4th, and then NCSU comes storming back with two late scores. They miss a game tying 2 pt conversion in the final minute and we recover the on-side kick to seal it.

pj

Reaction Score
I predict the board will be calling for the NCAA to ban the Wildcat by the 3rd quarter after we continualy kill momentum by switching QB's. There will be a mini meltdown on the topic.

UConn 21-19. We will be up 14-3 at the half, 21- 6 going into the 4th, and then NCSU comes storming back with two late scores. They miss a game tying 2 pt conversion in the final minute and we recover the on-side kick to seal it.

If we're up 21-6 and somebody's complaining about the wildcat, it won't be UConn fans.

Reaction Score
20-17 Uconn..

This is will be a really close game throughout, but I think us being at home is the difference.

Reaction Score
I am concerned about the oline making holes for the RB. If we can move the ball on the ground it will take pressure off our QB. I was not happy with the oline vs umass. How will they play against better talent....I going with a win at home.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
guaranteed mccummings throws a couple of times outta the wildcat

I think this is 100% true, and I think that the UMass game was the setup for this. Of course, based on last year's attempts at throwing from McCummings, I am hoping that this is limited to 1 play. As you can tell, I'm not a fan of the wildcat...

Reaction Score
I am not a fan of the wildcat either. If it goes by the wayside or is deemphasized my guess is we see more of Delorenzo. I really like what I have seen from him. Runs hard with a low center of gravity. Kind of runner that wares defenses down and set's up play action. He a McCombs are a nice change of pace I think.

Reaction Score
If we're up 21-6 and somebody's complaining about the wildcat, it won't be UConn fans.
You have read this board before, right? Shoot, people were complaining about it when we were up 30-0 last week.

Reaction Score
Need more out of running backs. Went to Tulane/Rutgers game and Rutgers has two "mini" Rice type backs, hard to bring down by 1st guy. OL blocking on run for Uconn is good enough, LM has to break some tackles and make some plays or give some other guys a shot at it.
Hard to keep a decent team much under 20 (unless you are Alabama or LSU), so think Uconn needs to put up 3 tds and a couple of FG. Not counting on ST or Defensive scores so Whitmer can't waste any deep red zone penetrations.
Uconn plays stout defense and has good field position that makes NCST gain lot of yards to get in red zone. Uconn always in control but still one bad play from being in danger of losing.
Uconn 27 ACC 20.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Like others have said - I think the wildcat plays were run as often as they were, and on the ground versus passing, entirely on purpose. My hunch is that we use it way less - maybe 6 total plays, and mix in a few passes.

Good guys 27, Wuff Pack 23. Everyone contributes. Defense with a pick 6, Whitmer with a TD to Davis, McCombs with a gritty 24 for 105 TD, two FGs from Christen. Defense and Special Teams keep up the field position pressure.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You have read this board before, right? Shoot, people were complaining about it when we were up 30-0 last week.

I can't stand the wildcat in general... except when Rutgers is running it into the ground. That being said this team will need to be creative if they are going to score points - so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

Reaction Score
Going to be a tough game is all, duck* the ACC!

UConn 20
NC State 17

Lyle for 80+ yds and TD
Whitmer throws his first Husky TD.

Special teams and defense take over in the final 6 minutes

Sigh count by rw005: well over 75

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Took a look at the NCst board. They are pretty pessimistic after last week.

Reaction Score
This will be tough, physical game. NC State, still I like our defense and home crowd to carry the day so

UConn 27
North Carolina's lil brother 17

Reaction Score
I see UConn prevailing 17-13. Key is for our D front and blitzers to crush Glennon and make him a non factor.

However we may need a tiny favor from the football gods to put this one into the W column.

Reaction Score
I am concerned about the oline making holes for the RB. If we can move the ball on the ground it will take pressure off our QB. I was not happy with the oline vs umass. How will they play against better talent....I going with a win at home.

Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog