EYBL/Adidas Weekend 2 | The Boneyard

EYBL/Adidas Weekend 2

Reaction Score
Looks like Dan and Kimani were at Adidas yesterday. Definitely watched Jaiden Glover, but I'm not sure who else... no one we've offered yet.

Tom and Luke at EYBL. We watched:
  • Jakhi Howard
  • Ahmad Nowell (who had another ridiculous game)
  • Isaiah Abraham
  • Boogie Fland
  • Joson Sanon and AJ Diyabantsa (2025 and 2026 playing up)
  • Marcus Allen
Possible notable is who we didn't watch:
  • Betsey
  • Cofie

Betsey and Abraham play each other on court 1 in a few minutes. Cofie playing down the hall. Will be interesting to see who we've prioritized. Wouldn't be surprised if Dan and Kimani are back at Nike. Expect Tom to be watching the 15s and 16s play more than the 17s--seems to be his role except for kids he's really zoned in on as a lead recruiter (like Karaban).

Reaction Score
They didn't watch Betsey? I wonder why they didn't?

Like Harper, top 25 wing Tyler Betsey of the Rens struggled some with his jumper while scoring 14 point and getting five rebounds. At nearly 6-foot-8 with smooth athleticism and a good-looking jumper, it was pretty clear that he has all of the tools to make a move towards the top of the class and he’s one of those kids who seems like he could end up ranked as high as he decides he wants to be.

Reaction Score
They didn't watch Betsey? I wonder why they didn't?

Like Harper, top 25 wing Tyler Betsey of the Rens struggled some with his jumper while scoring 14 point and getting five rebounds. At nearly 6-foot-8 with smooth athleticism and a good-looking jumper, it was pretty clear that he has all of the tools to make a move towards the top of the class and he’s one of those kids who seems like he could end up ranked as high as he decides he wants to be.

@NJHoops has mentioned the interest may not be reciprocal. I gather the staff is ready and willing to make our full pitch, but Tyler may be more enamored with other options at this point.

Reaction Score
11:00am games recap:

Betsey: All around just a dud of a game. 2/0/0 on 0/6 shooting. It happens in AAU. Didn’t love the low energy, bad cuts, and bad defense on top of it though. He needs to stop being so passive as a player.

Abraham: His best performance in EYBL by far. 13/7/1 on 5/8 shooting. Starting to see why he’s a top-100 recruit a bit. Really nice defender. High energy, aggressive, gets his hands on the ball, and defends the point of attack well. Offensively, he is extrememely limited. Cannot create a shot, turnover prone, doesn’t have a good sense for the game. Can’t shoot and doesn’t look for it. Has some nice back cuts and is super aggressive on the offensive boards. I don’t see what he’ll do other than get dunks and taking low-risk passes at this stage. Without substantial development, I see a 5-8th man with little 1st, 2nd, or 3rd option potential without a whole lotta hard work.

Cofie: I wouldn’t call this game a dud, but he was invisible for most of it. Kind of low energy. Hit his FTs (6/7). Needs to rebound better considering his size and strength. Ended up fouling out with 10/2/1. 2/4 from the field, 6/7 from the line.

Reaction Score
12:30 games:

Allen: Finished with 11/10/1. 4/11 from the field, 0/1 from deep. Big, strong kid at maybe 6’6. Athletic and long. Solid defender, limited offensively. Contests well, defends the post-up, physical. It’s AAU, but I saw some competitive fire. I think he’ll compete with Abraham/Howard for that ¾-ish role. Prefer Allen over Abraham at this stage. Haven't seen Howard. Advanced mid-range game, and a dunker. I think the mid-range could be expanded to the 3 point line with a couple good off-seasons. Not really a 3 shooter right now. Good FT shooter. Finishes with both hands, always on 2 feet. Very, very good rebounder with his strength and legnth. Even boxing out in AAU, which never happens. Reminds me of a slightly less athletic Coen Carr with more shooting ability. Passing and BBIQ aren’t excellent–not a super fluid game.

Reaction Score
Hurley and Luke are in Phoenix--not sure about Tom or Kimani.

Both coaches are watching Nowell and not Fland as of the first half. Take that FWIW.

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
I like Isaiah Abraham's potential fit - closest I've seen to someone who can fill Andre's role. 6'7", can defend 1-4 and take the opponents toughest assignment. Limited on offense, but can fit into the scheme.

Abraham takes the toughest defensive assignment letting the other guys on the floor take easier assignments/better defensive matchups, and they can be more offensively minded while still maintaining excellent team defense. The rest of our early '24 targets definitely look offensively minded.

Not the crown jewel of the glass, but the perfect complementary piece to other guys we're targeting.

Reaction Score
Nowell is clearly priority number one. Like I mentioned last week, Betsy will probably not be Storrs bound and that’s okay. I really like Jakai Howard. Still need to lock in on a shooter.

Agree on all counts.

We're recruiting Howard, Allen, Abraham for the same spot, most likely. And I think the order we should be pursuing them is exactly that. Howard is much better than the other two.

Reaction Score
Agree on all counts.

We're recruiting Howard, Allen, Abraham for the same spot, most likely. And I think the order we should be pursuing them is exactly that. Howard is much better than the other two.
What's your vibe on Howard?? Looks like a Andre J/Solo B hybrid..

Reaction Score
I’m curious to see what bigs we watch with Cling on an expedited path. Just Bol so far? We need a guy with offensive potential in the pipeline.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
I’m curious to see what bigs we watch with Cling on an expedited path. Just Bol so far? We need a guy with offensive potential in the pipeline.
Jacob Cofie is another. 6'10 pf/c

Reaction Score
lynne martin on Twitter: "Today at my son’s AAU game at Spookynook. The opposing team coach swung at the ref. Coach was thrown out. https://post original url/pgcT7x0yLS" / Twitter

Reaction Score
lynne martin on Twitter: "Today at my son’s AAU game at Spookynook. The opposing team coach swung at the ref. Coach was thrown out. https://post original url/pgcT7x0yLS" / Twitter

Not uncommon in AAU.

I have had coaches swing at me, opposing coaches drunk on the sideline. Fights between refs and players/coaches. Teams walk out at half-time. Parents run on the court to fight me. Parents get cops called on them for hitting kids. Numerous drug deals on the sidelines. You name it... good chance I've seen it.

AAU sucks.

Reaction Score
11:00am games recap:

Betsey: All around just a dud of a game. 2/0/0 on 0/6 shooting. It happens in AAU. Didn’t love the low energy, bad cuts, and bad defense on top of it though. He needs to stop being so passive as a player.

Not that I'm comparing the two, but I think we saw this with Hawk a bit during his freshman year. The games where his offense is clicking, his whole game seemed to be elevated. The other games, it was a lot easier to feel like he wasn't engaged enough. Having a high motor is definitely a skill

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom