Extra scholarships - bank them. | The Boneyard

Extra scholarships - bank them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If Drummond goes, and he's going, UConn's going to have three rides to hand out in this class.

Given the post-season ban, we're really not in play for a major prospect.

In the past, Calhoun has shown that he is not inclined to leave a scholarship open. I'm not going to second guess a dude who has filled up the rafters with felt banners, but I think he's going to have to consider locking down and leaving some rides open this year.

The desire to fill up spots with reaches has caused the APR pain to some extent and more often than not, these reaches end up transferring. For every Gavin Edwards or Donnell Beverly, there are two or three players who wash out - Jamaal Trice, Darius Smith, Antonio Kellogg, Rob Garrison, Ryan Thompson, Chad Wise, etc.

I think the RJ Evans addition would be a good one - good chemistry guy, experience, size in the backcourt, etc. If there's a promising transfer out there, (the post-season ban shouldn't concern a traditional transfer prospect), pursue it.

But leave the three-star reaches alone for the year and bank the rides if we must.

The front court will be thin next year, but so what? Tyler, Wolf, Bradley, Roscoe and DeAndre will do - we get out of them whatever we get out of them.

The program is obviously about to enter a transition. Calhoun will retire in the next two years and UConn will be bringing a new practice facility on-line - I'd rather see Calhoun or whoever the coach is in two years have some roster flexibility than to see some marginal depth brought in for next year's lost season.

Plus, we don't need to see any more transferring than we have already.

Reaction Score
I thought Drummond did not ave a scholarship. Someone offered to give up his and Andre finally declined. I may be wrong.,

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If he would have returned, it would have been on scholarship.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I saw we just take the extra scholarships and give them to some Math Team member or some other brainiac that will get good grades. Let them come to UConn for one year and then transfer to some other higher academic institution after one year. They can be on the team, but they don't have to show up for any practices or games. Basically, they will get one year of education for free (scholarship) while we get perfect scores on the APR (since they will transfer in good academic standing).

The APR is a sham anyway...so why not just show them how ridiculous the APR measurement is by taking this route!

Reaction Score
I think we're getting a scholarship or two back from the apr. I'm not sure I generally agree, if this was a normal year I would say fill those spots and see if you can find a craig austrie type player, just make sure it's a kid who is sound academically. However, we are at a major recruiting disadvantage and I don't see any reason to bring in a Mandeldove part two (which is probably the best caliber of player we can shoot for).

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
next year we have:

Senior (1)
Evans

Junior (5):
Napier, Roscoe, Giffey, Wolf, Olander

Soph (3):
Boatright, Bradley, Daniles

Frosh (1):
Omar

I'd use one at most and have two spots open for 2013-14

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
We already have 2 open for next year recruit wise. Evans + the ncaa ship docking for miles(year 3 of 3).

caw

Reaction Score
I slightly disagree.

I say use the scholarships as such this year:
  1. RJ Evans (1 year of eligibility)
  2. B. Allen (1 year, might as well give him a ride if he is doing well academically)
  3. Project Big/transfer
UConn would get two of the scholarships back after next year and also gets the NCAA sanctioned scholarship back. That gives UConn openings for 3 freshman, which is very balanced class.
In 2013-2014 UConn will (if no one leaves) have the following players:

1. Napier (3rd year captain, senior)
  2. Roscoe (senior)
  3. Giffey (senior)
  4. Olander (senior)
  5. Wolf (senior)
  6. Bradley (4th year junior)
  7. Boatright (junior)
  8. Daniels (junior)
  9. Calhoun (sophomore)
  10. Project/Transfer (sophomore/junior)
  11. Open scholarship - freshman
  12. Open scholarship - freshman
  13. Open scholarship - freshman
  14. Allen (junior - walk-on)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
According to the Courant, we have the 2 APR ships back in 12-13. We get the Miles ship back in 13-14.

So we have 12 available. 10 consumed (counting Omar and Evans). Two free up in 13-14, with Miles and Evans.

I think they can afford to spend one more this year, and bank one. With 5 kids set to leave the following year, I really don't like the idea of 4 freshmen in 13-14 and 5 in 14-15. Let's spread it out a bit.

Reaction Score
I slightly disagree.

I say use the scholarships as such this year:
  1. RJ Evans (1 year of eligibility)
  2. B. Allen (1 year, might as well give him a ride if he is doing well academically)
  3. Project Big/transfer
UConn would get two of the scholarships back after next year and also gets the NCAA sanctioned scholarship back. That gives UConn openings for 3 freshman, which is very balanced class.

In 2013-2014 UConn will (if no one leaves) have the following players:

1. Napier (3rd year captain, senior)
  2. Roscoe (senior)
  3. Giffey (senior)
  4. Olander (senior)
  5. Wolf (senior)
  6. Bradley (4th year junior)
  7. Boatright (junior)
  8. Daniels (junior)
  9. Calhoun (sophomore)
  10. Project/Transfer (sophomore/junior)
  11. Open scholarship - freshman
  12. Open scholarship - freshman
  13. Open scholarship - freshman
  14. Allen (junior - walk-on)

Wow, what a kick in the balls to Allen that would be. You're going to give the kid a scholarship for 1 year just because he can get decent grades, then kick him to the curb and say, "Thanks for that 1 year of helping our APR, you can go ahead and go back to paying for your own education now?" If I were him and the coaching staff tried to do this to me, I'd purposely fail a few classes and transfer away to hurt the APR some more, just to say to the school and the program for trying that Stop.

Reaction Score
Wow, what a kick in the balls to Allen that would be. You're going to give the kid a scholarship for 1 year just because he can get decent grades, then kick him to the curb and say, "Thanks for that 1 year of helping our APR, you can go ahead and go back to paying for your own education now?" If I were him and the coaching staff tried to do this to me, I'd purposely fail a few classes and transfer away to hurt the APR some more, just to say to the school and the program for trying that bull****.
syracuse does this pretty regularly, if they have an extra scholly they give it to a walk-on for a season. i think most kids are pretty appreciative of a free year.

Reaction Score
I thought Drummond did not ave a scholarship. Someone offered to give up his and Andre finally declined. I may be wrong.,

If Drummond is not on scholarship, and he leaves in poor academic standing, does that affect the APR?

Reaction Score
Agree on banking them over reaching for 3-star guys. We're going to have a pretty good, experienced nucleus coming out of the Dark Year. Olander's going to get all the mins. he can handle. Smith should be a valuable guy on def., Daniels/Boatright/Calhoun should have blossomed, and hopefully Napier will mature into a great PG.

Reaction Score
Wow, what a kick in the balls to Allen that would be. You're going to give the kid a scholarship for 1 year just because he can get decent grades, then kick him to the curb and say, "Thanks for that 1 year of helping our APR, you can go ahead and go back to paying for your own education now?" If I were him and the coaching staff tried to do this to me, I'd purposely fail a few classes and transfer away to hurt the APR some more, just to say to the school and the program for trying that bull****.

You are REALLY thinking about this in the wrong way. He is a kid that came to UCONN with the understanding that he is a walk-on and he would be getting over 20 G's of free education for a year. Why the hell would he be pissed?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If Drummond is not on scholarship, and he leaves in poor academic standing, does that affect the APR?

No, but there is no reason that I am aware of to think that he isn't doing fine.

Reaction Score
i still would rather give scholarships to an impact transfer. have them sit out the lost year and pay immediate dividends in 2013-14. no guarantee that a highly touted recruit would have same fate.....(see dd)

Reaction Score

Yeah, I would be pissed to if I had one year of my college education paid for. Good point.

Reaction Score

caw

Reaction Score

I think others have sort of pointed out what I was going for, but I'll write what I was thinking anyway.

Allen likely won't transfer for playing time or anything and will remain a part of the team for four years, correct?

If so, why not give him a free year of schooling, 10-20 grand relief to his parents and a thank you for the effort and dedication. I would want to give it to him regardless of his grades, in this situation, but UConn unfortunately is not in the position to do so. UConn can't afford any random point deductions. Thus I mentioned his grades.

Of course if he is good enough to play and not just be a walk-on/practice player, why not extend it past a year (similar to what UL did with their walk-on).

It's not a dig at Allen at all, it is just a thank you.

In fact, I don't necessarily think it should be Allen who gets it, perhaps give it to a senior walk-on who has been with the program for four years. I just used Allen as an example.

Reaction Score
I think others have sort of pointed out what I was going for, but I'll write what I was thinking anyway.

Allen likely won't transfer for playing time or anything and will remain a part of the team for four years, correct?

If so, why not give him a free year of schooling, 10-20 grand relief to his parents and a thank you for the effort and dedication. I would want to give it to him regardless of his grades, in this situation, but UConn unfortunately is not in the position to do so. UConn can't afford any random point deductions. Thus I mentioned his grades.

Of course if he is good enough to play and not just be a walk-on/practice player, why not extend it past a year (similar to what UL did with their walk-on).

It's not a dig at Allen at all, it is just a thank you.

In fact, I don't necessarily think it should be Allen who gets it, perhaps give it to a senior walk-on who has been with the program for four years. I just used Allen as an example.

Ok, I understand the idea behind it and, yes, it would be a nice gesture on the part of the program. In my mind I was just thinking that it seems like a bit of a slap in the face to give the scholarship for one year and then take it back the next. Syracuse probably gives it to seniors who have walked on for their first 3 years already (as you suggest here). I think that is the only way to really do it without risk of offending the player. Of course the kid wouldn't be upset about getting a free year of college - I wasn't trying to imply that but it came off that way - but it would probably send a mixed message to the kid and looks kind of insulting if you gave it to him his sophomore or junior year and then take it back. It would have to be done with a walk-on who is a senior or there would have to be some sort of agreement / understanding between the walk-on player and the coaching staff in advance.

Reaction Score
I wish someone would slap me in the face with 20 grand. It might hurt, especially if was a thick stack of small bills that would result in some swelling, but I'd have a lot of money for bags of frozen peas to put on it.

Reaction Score
If Drummond goes, and he's going, UConn's going to have three rides to hand out in this class.

Given the post-season ban, we're really not in play for a major prospect.

In the past, Calhoun has shown that he is not inclined to leave a scholarship open. I'm not going to second guess a dude who has filled up the rafters with felt banners, but I think he's going to have to consider locking down and leaving some rides open this year.

The desire to fill up spots with reaches has caused the APR pain to some extent and more often than not, these reaches end up transferring. For every Gavin Edwards or Donnell Beverly, there are two or three players who wash out - Jamaal Trice, Darius Smith, Antonio Kellogg, Rob Garrison, Ryan Thompson, Chad Wise, etc.

I think the RJ Evans addition would be a good one - good chemistry guy, experience, size in the backcourt, etc. If there's a promising transfer out there, (the post-season ban shouldn't concern a traditional transfer prospect), pursue it.

But leave the three-star reaches alone for the year and bank the rides if we must.

The front court will be thin next year, but so what? Tyler, Wolf, Bradley, Roscoe and DeAndre will do - we get out of them whatever we get out of them.

The program is obviously about to enter a transition. Calhoun will retire in the next two years and UConn will be bringing a new practice facility on-line - I'd rather see Calhoun or whoever the coach is in two years have some roster flexibility than to see some marginal depth brought in for next year's lost season.

Plus, we don't need to see any more transferring than we have already.

I agree with some of the points here, but I'm sure you realize programs can't "bank" scholarships in any sense of the word. You use it, or you lose it. I understand you're probably referencing the fact that most programs honor them for 4 years, even if they are only technically 1 year, but as we've seen, very often they aren't for the full 4 years. Kids transfer (long list). Kids go pro early (Lamb, Drummond, Napier next year?). Kids "give up their scholarship" (Bradley, Ajok, Robinson). And some kids only have 1 or 2 years anyways (Evans). So I think there is a balance between bringing in enough kids to be competitive, and not filling your roster with kids that aren't good enough to play and aren't good enough to leave early. But if you try to avoid filling up spots for next year, you may end up losing kids you weren't expecting and then really be short.

Another consideration UConn has to consider is that a lot of kids still available this late in the game have academic issues. Clearly UConn can't afford to take flyers on kids with grade issues and then have them drop out or transfer with poor GPAs.

Certainly if Obekpa wants to go to UConn, I think you take him in a heart beat. A guy like Bradley Hayes seems worth bringing in and developing, though I don't know enough about him. But he appears to be very tall and a good athlete. I'm sure there's other guys out there like that.

So while I don't think UConn should focus too much on saving scholarship slots for down the road and should certainly take players like Obekpa or Hayes, I also agree UConn can't reach for players like they have in the past Trice or Harrelson.

caw

Reaction Score
Ok, I understand the idea behind it and, yes, it would be a nice gesture on the part of the program. In my mind I was just thinking that it seems like a bit of a slap in the face to give the scholarship for one year and then take it back the next. Syracuse probably gives it to seniors who have walked on for their first 3 years already (as you suggest here). I think that is the only way to really do it without risk of offending the player. Of course the kid wouldn't be upset about getting a free year of college - I wasn't trying to imply that but it came off that way - but it would probably send a mixed message to the kid and looks kind of insulting if you gave it to him his sophomore or junior year and then take it back. It would have to be done with a walk-on who is a senior or there would have to be some sort of agreement / understanding between the walk-on player and the coaching staff in advance.

I guess it could be viewed that way. However, if there is an open scholarship a walkon might think, "why not help me out." I think the guy at UL got a scholarship for 2 years? as a sophomore and junior (though I could be wrong). I know he was on one last year and off this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom