Expansion Rumors site profiles UConn | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Expansion Rumors site profiles UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Although UVa, UNC and Duke have given UConn support (UVa has a lot of ex-UConn people there, one reason Leitao was hired in the first place), I can't help but think some pretty powerful bball people at those schools have recognized that the ACC could return to old rivalries in bball if only the conference was split up something along the lines of old-BE and old-ACC.

It would be worth studying how a 16, 17, or 20 member conference would work with basketball scheduling. I have to admit, I haven't thought about it much. But if the ACC added 1 and kept Notre Dame as is, we'd have 17. Or we'd get 16 or 20 with ND in football and basketball. I don't know which way it will end up, but these are real possibilities. I guess with 16, you'd play everyone once, and then have 3 home and home rivals. With 17, ditto with 2 home and homes. With 20, it would get more complicated. We are currently on an 18 conference game model.

Reaction Score
Although UVa, UNC and Duke have given UConn support (UVa has a lot of ex-UConn people there, one reason Leitao was hired in the first place), I can't help but think some pretty powerful bball people at those schools have recognized that the ACC could return to old rivalries in bball if only the conference was split up something along the lines of old-BE and old-ACC.

A N-S divisional split would take care of that pretty well. But, as long as UVA and VPI are dead set against it, it isn't going to happen.

Reaction Score
It's a problem in a 14 member league with 8 Conference Games. It is not a problem in a 16 or 20 member league with 4 PODS of 4 or 5 members that rotate to form 8 or 10 team divisions each season. UVA and VT would be able to be in a mid-atlantic division and rotate frequently north and south. This is the best of all situations in a large conference. There could also be a north POD and a South POD to please both of those regions. They would each be able to rotate toward each other frequently enough to get a flavor, but not be required every season.

Yeah, a 16-team ACC would alleviate most any and all scheduling qualms, and the pod system would work great. But, the N-S split is the easiest way to do that now as a 14-team league. If Swofford and Co would allow us to schedule each other OOC in the years we didn't play in-conference, the UNC-UVA rivalry would continue uninterrupted, and, series like FSU-GT, VPI-CU, etc, could be played more regularly. It would all but eliminate any need to schedule FCS opponents, which is what I want.

Reaction Score
Yeah, a 16-team ACC would alleviate most any and all scheduling qualms, and the pod system would work great. But, the N-S split is the easiest way to do that now as a 14-team league. If Swofford and Co would allow us to schedule each other OOC in the years we didn't play in-conference, the UNC-UVA rivalry would continue uninterrupted, and, series like FSU-GT, VPI-CU, etc, could be played more regularly. It would all but eliminate any need to schedule FCS opponents, which is what I want.

I understand what you're saying, and it might work. But I'm not really interested in spending all the political capital in the conference to debate this in a 14 team league. As we've discussed there are multiple desires regarding this from multiple members that are in conflict. I'd rather spend the energy to get to 16 and solve it that way. UVA is paired with Louisville, who we have no history with to speak of. I'm willing to live with this for a while until the opportunity presents itself to get to 16. What I continue to consider is the 16 or 20 question. What happens with the D4 will have a lot to do with determining that question.

Reaction Score
I understand what you're saying, and it might work. But I'm not really interested in spending all the political capital in the conference to debate this in a 14 team league. As we've discussed there are multiple desires regarding this from multiple members that are in conflict. I'd rather spend the energy to get to 16 and solve it that way. UVA is paired with Louisville, who we have no history with to speak of. I'm willing to live with this for a while until the opportunity presents itself to get to 16. What I continue to consider is the 16 or 20 question. What happens with the D4 will have a lot to do with determining that question.
The 2 teams left on the board, that fit would be UConn , and Cincinnati still leaving room for Notre Dame , and their Buddy Texas at a later date. Adding UConn effectively isolates Maryland, shuts down the east coast, Cincinnati gets another inroad into the Mid-West, and tells the Big 10 we'll exchange an improving program in Ohio, for one that's in financial trouble.

Reaction Score
The 2 teams left on the board, that fit would be UConn , and Cincinnati still leaving room for Notre Dame , and their Buddy Texas at a later date. Adding UConn effectively isolates Maryland, shuts down the east coast, Cincinnati gets another inroad into the Mid-West, and tells the Big 10 we'll exchange an improving program in Ohio, for one that's in financial trouble.

I have no problem with this as long as it can be justified with enough revenue from those teams by their helping get television visibility in those areas (UConn in Connecticut for New England and New York) and (Cincinnati for Cincinnati and other areas of Ohio). I also submit Temple as an option instead of Cincinnati. The ACC is in need of presence in the Mid-Atlantic with the departure of Maryland. Temple is there in a large Mid-Atlantic Market that has high interest in basketball. But as you suggest adding one still leaves room for the other at a later date because this would be done on the way to eventually go to 20.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with this as long as it can be justified with enough revenue from those teams by their helping get television visibility in those areas (UConn in Connecticut for New England and New York) and (Cincinnati for Cincinnati and other areas of Ohio). I also submit Temple as an option instead of Cincinnati. The ACC is in need of presence in the Mid-Atlantic with the departure of Maryland. Temple is there in a large Mid-Atlantic Market that has high interest in basketball. But as you suggest adding one still leaves room for the other at a later date because this would be done on the way to eventually go to 20.
The only problem that you would have with Temple is are they really going to commit to football? The Big East had a real problem with them last time, and unless they can give some type of real assurance that they are now really committed, the ACC can't take that chance. If they were committed who would be the 20th?

Reaction Score
Temple delivers no watchers....and would water down the ACC brand.
I like Temple and think if they invest enough they might have a future in 10 or 15 years and hope they can eventually find a good home but Stimpy seems to think they have an immediate relevance 2 years out of the MAC?At their home FB games in Philly when RU goes there it feels like an RU home game at least 2-1!I love an underdog and Temple has a nice little school/program but not flagship or sleeping giant good!I get mad feeling the need to even post this but Stimpy is delirious at times?I feel like washing my hands now!!But I can see a Temple U in the ACC in 2023/27 or so?

Reaction Score
Or maybe Villanova?Bigger hoops brand in Philly,S.Jersey and MD with an ambitious FB program?Or Seton Hall maybe by just adding a FB program to there BB program for the NJ/NY megalopolis?

Reaction Score
Look at the reverse. If UConn goes to the B1G Syracuse and BC become isolated.
That's why if the ACC even feels like the B1G is an obtion they offer UConn immediately.

Reaction Score
Look at the reverse. If UConn goes to the B1G Syracuse and BC become isolated.
That's why if the ACC even feels like the B1G is an obtion they offer UConn immediately.
I like your viewpoint! That's why I'm so confident about eventually UConn to the B1G (soon) as in the CR wars between the conferences I like where our (UConn) market/BB success stand in the overall picture!!

Reaction Score
Syracuse and BC become more isolated than they are now?
I can see it now.....lets outflank OSU,PSU,RU and MD by picking up Cinncy,SU and Temple?Is something wrong with this picture?....billybud,I think you have a pretty fair picture of the northeast dynamic!

Reaction Score

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Temple delivers no watchers....and would water down the ACC brand.

Neither does Cincinnati. It's simply a matter of "Do you want access to the 3 million television set Philadephia DMA?" or "Do you want access to the 900 thousand television set Cincinnati DMA?" Temple is already in good shape with Basketball. They reached the round of 32 in last year's NCAA men's tournament. They beat NC State in round 1 and lost to a close game to Indiana which they led in round 2. They average 25K for football games, and an on campus stadium is being considered at Temple. There would need to be sustained commitment to football for sure and hopefully improvement.

Cincinnati was bounced in round 1 of the NCAA basketball tournament by Creighton. Had Duke not turned the ball over unnecessarily trying to score late in the Charlotte Bowl, Cincinnati would have lost their bowl game too.

My suggestion of Temple is simply a comparison of the Philadelphia and Cincinnati market size. Temple is actually the better academic institution as well if you look at that comparison.

Reaction Score
Neither does Cincinnati. It's simply a matter of "Do you want access to the 3 million television set Philadephia DMA?" or "Do you want access to the 900 thousand television set Cincinnati DMA?" Temple is already in good shape with Basketball. They reached the round of 32 in last year's NCAA men's tournament. They beat NC State in round 1 and lost to a close game to Indiana which they led in round 2. They average 25K for football games, and an on campus stadium is being considered at Temple. There would need to be sustained commitment to football for sure and hopefully improvement.

Cincinnati was bounced in round 1 of the NCAA basketball tournament by Creighton. Had Duke not turned the ball over unnecessarily trying to score late in the Charlotte Bowl, Cincinnati would have lost their bowl game too.

My suggestion of Temple is simply a comparison of the Philadelphia and Cincinnati market size. Temple is actually the better academic institution as well if you look at that comparison.
Temple has always been pretty good in BB but there still not even the most popular CBB team in Philly!(Villanova is)If John Chaney couldn't make them Phillys team how is anyone else gonna help them carry any market ?And I've always admired Temple for the steadiness of their hoops program and no ones trying harder in CFB!I'd like to see them catch on "at least in the Philly area"!Its a shame right after they move back into the BE it collapses and outside of UConn its the only other team I wish would find a good home in CR but as a private the ACC is their only option being in the NE!How can anyone not pull for Bill Cosby?

Reaction Score

Penn State can't sell the Philly DMA (the BTN has failed to raise enough there) so I imagine Temple wouldn't either.

Reaction Score

You puzzle me?You always promote Temple as though their some kind of sleeping giant yet denigrate a true emerging giant(hopefully) like RU?Hmm..are you a closet Temple fan?I hope so because you don't appear stupid and who else but a fan would be so delusional about a decent,hardworking but no-buzz school?Thats saying more than I'd like because I respect them and wish them the best but how high is their ceiling?Have they reached it?Now UConn is a state flagship school,ready in all sports and supported in a large area(NYC/Conn/RI/Boston) who should already be in a B5 conference and there still sweating it and by bringing Temple into the conversation until thats settled is ludicrous especially here!I'd only think Temple would be considered after the big dogs are taken care of or say if the conferences expand to 18/20!

Reaction Score
Penn State can't sell the Philly DMA (the BTN has failed to raise enough there) so I imagine Temple wouldn't either.
Upstater,ha ha we think alot alike and at the same times.We probably hit send at the same moment?I'm puzzled that anyone who supposedly knows the area could be so naive or ill informed as stimpy?He's even gone so far as saying Temple would carry parts of Md and S.Jersey?Where does he get his info?On the fan"Mike "the sleeping host" Francesca?I'll bet he's a very young guy!?!

Reaction Score
Upstater,ha ha we think alot alike and at the same times.We probably hit send at the same moment?I'm puzzled that anyone who supposedly knows the area could be so naive or ill informed as stimpy?He's even gone so far as saying Temple would carry parts of Md and S.Jersey?Where does he get his info?On the fan"Mike "the sleeping host" Francesca?I'll bet he's a very young guy!?!

In fairness, PSU has the level of support in that area. At a party in Bucks Cty. once, my wife made a joke about Paterno's high waters and coke bottles to her mother's friend. The room became silent like you insulted the Pope in a room full of flagellants. The problem isn't the level of support for PSU (it's through the roof) but rather it's Comcast's refusal to have anything to do with a Chicago "outfit." Nicky, I think PSU's problems would also apply to Rutgers in the NYC DMA. Delany bit off more than he can chew, but you have nothing to apologize for. You're in. It's his problem if he can't sell BTN to NYC.

Reaction Score
To sell Philadelphia, you have to have basketball. The Eagles is all the city needs for football. For College Sports, Philadelphia focuses on basketball. The city has sponsored several major events of the NCAA Men's basketball tournament including the final four over the years. I don't see much basketball coming from Penn State. I don't remember them winning the NCAA basketball tournament. I'm not sure I remember them being in the field of 64. In basketball, Philadelphia sponsors the Big 5 (Temple, Villanova, Pennsylvania, LaSalle, and St. Joe's). I find it similar to the Big 4 in North Carolina albeit I can only remember Villanova winning a championship where the NC Big 4 has three different schools winning one. I know most of the emphasis of Conference Realignment focuses on football, but in the East Basketball is also very important and the ACC plays it competitively. It's the primary reason UConn is a great fit too. Temple is coming out of the Atlantic 10 where they are very competitive. Upgrading to the ACC from the A10 is not as large a jump as from the Mid America Conference would be.

Of all of the Philadelphia Big 5 only Temple has FBS football. I'm assuming Villanova has nixed the idea. Work would be necessary to provide further emphasis here to grow the Temple football program and to overcome poor performance in the 80s and 90s. I see a recent renovation of the football complex taking place. The building of an indoor practice facility. The bowl victory at the New Mexico Bowl. Discussion from the Temple President about an on Campus Stadium. This is all having been in the Mid America Conference. What can they do in the American Athletic?

I don't view the work Temple must do in football as any more challenging than the work involved with Cincinnati, who is also located in a professional town. Cincinnati has Ohio State in the area much like Temple would have Penn State. Because of the size of the market, for Cincinnati to overcome the popularity of Ohio State could possibly be more difficult than for Temple to overcome Penn State. Ohio State is competitive in basketball losing any advantage in basketball. Both schools would get the anticipated ACC Network on the air in their respective markets. I just think Temple has a bigger one to work with.

This is probably all a moot point because many of the current ACC members will always view Temple as the Temple of the 90s in the Big East Conference and are not open to consider Temple. I see Temple as great market presence opportunity for the ACC. They see Temple as a bad football team in the 90s that no one supported including the school prompting expulsion from the Big East. Villanova was blocking Temple basketball the whole time, so the Big East never had the experience of Temple basketball. It was in the Atlantic 10. I am interested in how the school will do now that they have everything in the same place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom