Expansion Rumors site profiles UConn | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Expansion Rumors site profiles UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What do you mean, if it's real? The guy says outright he is doing scenarios.

This one is implausible. If it's football only and teams reform into other conferences, what in the world is the incentive to keep the AAC going. You'd have a bunch of teams shopping around their Olympic sports in that scenario.

That scenario makes perfect sense. The fact is UConn has never been fully embraced by the ol boy network.

Reaction Score
That scenario makes perfect sense. The fact is UConn has never been fully embraced by the ol boy network.

How are you going to have football onlies in the P5s? What's the incentive then to return to play, say, Houston in Women's soccer? There would be no incentive. The conferences would then break apart without football. The ONLY thing holding the AAC together is football. No football, then no conference. Were it not for football, UConn wouldn't even be in the AAC.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How are you going to have football onlies in the P5s? What's the incentive then to return to play, say, Houston in Women's soccer? There would be no incentive. The conferences would then break apart without football. The ONLY thing holding the AAC together is football. No football, then no conference. Were it not for football, UConn wouldn't even be in the AAC.

Who cares about all that nonsense? I'm just saying that when the music stops we won't be in a decent conference.

Reaction Score
Who cares about all that nonsense? I'm just saying that when the music stops we won't be in a decent conference.

if you don't care, then why in hell did you bother to respond that the scenario makes perfect sense.

Putting your comments together, you say "nonsense... makes perfect sense."

no wonder you're confused.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Posting this in all CR boards too (sorry for the repetition)...

If last night didn't give Jim Delany a taste of what UCONN can deliver to the B1G, I don't know what will. A competitive game with a rowdy crowd littered with celebrities. An opportunity for northeast B1G alum to easily get to our stadium...I heard lots of "Michigan usually doesn't come out this far east so I HAD to come" talk from Michigan fans last night. The same will surely apply to fanbases like OSU, Nebraska, Wisconsin, etc. I like how Warde (or whoever) used the opportunity to make sure all of the former Huskies in attendance were shown on cam and/or interviewed to reinforce the UCONN family concept. You couple all of this with strong TV ratings in a year that UCONN is 0 and friggin' 3 with a lousy coaching staff and you would be blind NOT to see the potential in UCONN.

Reaction Score
Posting this in all CR boards too (sorry for the repetition)...

If last night didn't give Jim Delany a taste of what UCONN can deliver to the B1G, I don't know what will. A competitive game with a rowdy crowd littered with celebrities. An opportunity for northeast B1G alum to easily get to our stadium...I heard lots of "Michigan usually doesn't come out this far east so I HAD to come" talk from Michigan fans last night. The same will surely apply to fanbases like OSU, Nebraska, Wisconsin, etc. I like how Warde (or whoever) used the opportunity to make sure all of the former Huskies in attendance were shown on cam and/or interviewed to reinforce the UCONN family concept. You couple all of this with strong TV ratings in a year that UCONN is 0 and friggin' 3 with a lousy coaching staff and you would be blind NOT to see the potential in UCONN.

I also like the way they took this opportunity to introduce the new coaching staff of the men's hockey team. The part I liked the most was when they stated we are going to hockey east, "the toughest hockey conf in the country." Clearly another message to those B1G officials in the stands........

Reaction Score
Thought I could add this though I am sure it's been gone over before. CT is #4, NJ is #2 and MD is #1.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/america-richest-poorest-states-042117509.html

3 of the top 5 poorest states are SEC turf. Mississippi, Alabama and Arkansas. Explains Walmart's quick rise and some Walmart shoppers. Alabama displays their damn national championship trophies at Walmart after winning. Wonderful Kentucky is the fifth poorest state in the US. Almost 20% of KY is below the poverty line.

As for demographic shifts/population sizes, that should not be a concern, at all. The NYC metropolitan area (which supposedly extends to Waterbury and New Haven in CT) is about 3.5 times larger than the largest metropolitan area in the south (Dallas). Excluding LA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_combined_statistical_areas

Dallas, Raleigh, Charlotte, Houston, Atlanta, etc, etc, etc, etc, are not going to be more populated than the NYC metropolitan area anytime soon.

Reaction Score
Probably not.....and New York won't be beating out those cities for metered ESPN watching soon, either.

Birmingham Takes Top Spot… AgainBirmingham finished the 2012 campaign as the highest-rated metered market for ESPN’s regular-season for the 12th consecutive season. The football-hungry market averaged an 8.9 rating, which is 89 percent higher than second place Greenville’s 4.7 rating. Eight of top 10 metered markets in 2011 finished the 2012 season among the top 10 again. Tulsa (seventh in 2011) and Las Vegas (ninth) both fell out of the top 10, tying at 12th with a 2.5 rating, while Nashville, Memphis and Austin jumped into the top 10.
Every market in the top 10 but Columbus and Oklahoma City finished with a higher average rating than in 2011, led by Knoxville with a 53 percent increase (4.6 vs. 3.0). Birmingham posted a 51 percent increase over 2011’s leading 5.9 rating.
Top 25 Markets for 2012 Top 25 Markets for 2011
No. 1 Birmingham: 8.9 rating No. 1 Birmingham: 5.9 rating
No. 2 Greenville: 4.7 rating No. 2 Oklahoma City: 4.3 rating
No. 3 Knoxville: 4.6 rating Columbus: 4.3 rating
No. 4 New Orleans: 3.7 rating No. 4 Greenville: 4.1 rating
No. 5 Jacksonville: 3.6 rating No. 5 New Orleans: 3.4 rating
Columbus: 3.6 rating Atlanta: 3.4 rating
No. 7 Atlanta: 3.5 rating No. 7 Jacksonville: 3.3 rating
No. 8 Oklahoma City: 3.4 rating Tulsa: 3.3 rating
No. 9 Nashville: 3.3 rating No. 9 Las Vegas: 3.2 rating
No. 10 Memphis: 3.1 rating No. 10 Knoxville: 3.0 rating
Austin: 3.1 rating No. 11 Dayton: 2.8 rating
No. 12 Tulsa: 2.5 rating No. 12 Greensboro: 2.7 rating
Charlotte: 2.5 rating Austin: 2.7 rating
Las Vegas: 2.5 rating Charlotte: 2.7 rating
No. 15 Portland: 2.3 rating Fort Myers: 2.7 rating
Richmond: 2.3 rating No. 16 Pittsburgh: 2.5 rating
No. 17 Orlando: 2.2 rating Nashville: 2.5 rating
Dayton: 2.2 rating Norfolk: 2.5 rating
Norfolk: 2.2 rating Memphis: 2.5 rating
No. 20 Louisville: 2.1 rating No. 20 Cleveland: 2.4 rating
Tampa-St. Petersburg: 2.1 rating No. 21 Orlando: 2.3 rating
No. 22 West Palm Beach: 2.0 rating No. 22 Raleigh-Durham: 2.2 rating
Greensboro: 2.0 rating West Palm Beach: 2.2 rating
Cleveland: 2.0 rating Detroit: 2.2 rating
Ft. Myers: 2.0 rating No. 25 Cincinnati: 2.0 rating
Richmond: 2.0 rating
Portland 2.0 rating
Kansas City: 2.0 rating
Tampa-St. Petersburg: 2.0 rating

Reaction Score
You do know cultures change, right? There was once a day when Ivy League schools drew 50K+ a game and SEC schools were drawing flies.

Reaction Score
Yes...My grand father (and Grantland Rice) remember the days when Yale ruled the east...

If you want me to believe that NYC will become a college football watching mecca any time soon....I can't see it. No more than I can see it in the capital of the Carribean (Miami).

Reaction Score
Probably not.....and New York won't be beating out those cities for metered ESPN watching soon, either.

Birmingham Takes Top Spot… AgainBirmingham finished the 2012 campaign as the highest-rated metered market for ESPN’s regular-season for the 12th consecutive season. The football-hungry market averaged an 8.9 rating, which is 89 percent higher than second place Greenville’s 4.7 rating. Eight of top 10 metered markets in 2011 finished the 2012 season among the top 10 again. Tulsa (seventh in 2011) and Las Vegas (ninth) both fell out of the top 10, tying at 12th with a 2.5 rating, while Nashville, Memphis and Austin jumped into the top 10.
Every market in the top 10 but Columbus and Oklahoma City finished with a higher average rating than in 2011, led by Knoxville with a 53 percent increase (4.6 vs. 3.0). Birmingham posted a 51 percent increase over 2011’s leading 5.9 rating.
Top 25 Markets for 2012 Top 25 Markets for 2011
No. 1 Birmingham: 8.9 rating No. 1 Birmingham: 5.9 rating
No. 2 Greenville: 4.7 rating No. 2 Oklahoma City: 4.3 rating
No. 3 Knoxville: 4.6 rating Columbus: 4.3 rating
No. 4 New Orleans: 3.7 rating No. 4 Greenville: 4.1 rating
No. 5 Jacksonville: 3.6 rating No. 5 New Orleans: 3.4 rating
Columbus: 3.6 rating Atlanta: 3.4 rating
No. 7 Atlanta: 3.5 rating No. 7 Jacksonville: 3.3 rating
No. 8 Oklahoma City: 3.4 rating Tulsa: 3.3 rating
No. 9 Nashville: 3.3 rating No. 9 Las Vegas: 3.2 rating
No. 10 Memphis: 3.1 rating No. 10 Knoxville: 3.0 rating
Austin: 3.1 rating No. 11 Dayton: 2.8 rating
No. 12 Tulsa: 2.5 rating No. 12 Greensboro: 2.7 rating
Charlotte: 2.5 rating Austin: 2.7 rating
Las Vegas: 2.5 rating Charlotte: 2.7 rating
No. 15 Portland: 2.3 rating Fort Myers: 2.7 rating
Richmond: 2.3 rating No. 16 Pittsburgh: 2.5 rating
No. 17 Orlando: 2.2 rating Nashville: 2.5 rating
Dayton: 2.2 rating Norfolk: 2.5 rating
Norfolk: 2.2 rating Memphis: 2.5 rating
No. 20 Louisville: 2.1 rating No. 20 Cleveland: 2.4 rating
Tampa-St. Petersburg: 2.1 rating No. 21 Orlando: 2.3 rating
No. 22 West Palm Beach: 2.0 rating No. 22 Raleigh-Durham: 2.2 rating
Greensboro: 2.0 rating West Palm Beach: 2.2 rating
Cleveland: 2.0 rating Detroit: 2.2 rating
Ft. Myers: 2.0 rating No. 25 Cincinnati: 2.0 rating
Richmond: 2.0 rating
Portland 2.0 rating
Kansas City: 2.0 rating
Tampa-St. Petersburg: 2.0 rating

When I look at those numbers, I'm impressed by Atlanta and not much else. Seems to me that the SEC has a gold mine in U. Georgia.

Reaction Score
Thought I could add this though I am sure it's been gone over before. CT is #4, NJ is #2 and MD is #1.

3 of the top 5 poorest states are SEC turf. Mississippi, Alabama and Arkansas. Explains Walmart's quick rise and some Walmart shoppers. Alabama displays their damn national championship trophies at Walmart after winning. Wonderful Kentucky is the fifth poorest state in the US. Almost 20% of KY is below the poverty line.

As for demographic shifts/population sizes, that should not be a concern, at all. The NYC metropolitan area (which supposedly extends to Waterbury and New Haven in CT) is about 3.5 times larger than the largest metropolitan area in the south (Dallas). Excluding LA.

Dallas, Raleigh, Charlotte, Houston, Atlanta, etc, etc, etc, etc, are not going to be more populated than the NYC metropolitan area anytime soon.

I cannot find the article; but, I remember when Fidelity announced that they were establishing a major presence in the Research Triangle, the NC governor at the time stated that North Carolina was becoming the new NYC. I chuckled.

While NC has grown by leaps in bounds and does have Bank of America’s headquarters (though most executives from BoA are in NYC and Boston and the state also lost its other premier bank when Wachovia foundered and was bought by Wells Fargo), it is and never will be NYC. NYC is a truly global class city that competes with London, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc. NC and other cites may get jobs here and there; but, it cannot match the infrastructure, skill set, and experience of a city like NYC today and for the foreseeable future.

Of course, NC has its own problem right now with old guard, religious conservatives of what was NC fighting a slash and burn political war with the moderate transplants from the Northeast and Midwest.

Reaction Score
When I look at those numbers, I'm impressed by Atlanta and not much else. Seems to me that the SEC has a gold mine in U. Georgia.

Also explains why the SEC would not cry at all if the ACC was to fall apart as it could open the door for the SEC to get into the DC and RTP markets (they are already represented in Charlotte via Clemson, which is nearby) via some combination of Virginia Tech (I would expect UVA to go to the B1G due to their academic profile), UNC, Duke (SEC would take Duke to get UNC), and NC State (if UNC went to the B1G).

The XII is likely to fall apart due to internal forces, i.e. U Texas, while the ACC is more susceptible to the SEC and B1G trying to take it apart.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Yup.. I'm 100% sure when advertisers are looking at where to spend their money... Birmingham, Alabama jumps to the top of the list. That's why the whole BS thing about Louisville being the top basketball market makes me laugh. I'm sure when advertisers are targeting key markets Louisville, Kentucky and Birmingham, Alabama are absolutely on the top of their lists. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Yup.. I'm 100% sure when advertisers are looking at where to spend their money... Birmingham, Alabama jumps to the top of the list. That's why the whole BS thing about Louisville being the top basketball market makes me laugh. I'm sure when advertisers are targeting key markets Louisville, Kentucky and Birmingham, Alabama are absolutely on the top of their lists. :rolleyes:

A company I know recently ‘in-sourced’ several hundred back-office positions from NYC to Louisville. When the announcement was made, relocation for the impacted positions was offered; but, leadership also told folks that anyone who does transfer to Louisville will be paid at Louisville salary rates. That amounted to 30% to 50% salary cut for most folks. Good example of where the money is.

Reaction Score
A company I know recently ‘in-sourced’ several hundred back-office positions from NYC to Louisville. When the announcement was made, relocation for the impacted positions was offered; but, leadership also told folks that anyone who does transfer to Louisville will be paid at Louisville salary rates. That amounted to 30% to 50% salary cut for most folks. Good example of where the money is.

One thing the big banks/investment places are finding out is that there is a whole other banking/investment culture outside NYC. Now that the investment banks have been swallowed up except for a few, you always hear about the NYC people being unable to see eye-to-eye with colleagues in San Francisco (Wells Fargo), St. Louis (Wachovia), NC (Bank of A). There have been examples of deals for Manhattan buildings going south because people outside the city didn't know what a co-op was. These are executives I'm referring to. It's a whole other world for these people. In many ways, these American outposts are not only battling with their new cohorts in New York city, but they are dragging those cohorts down in their competition not only against Goldman, but also Europeans such as UBS. You have to wonder about the feasibility of breaking up finance in NYC, given all this.

Reaction Score
The investment banking arm is still run separately and still centered around NYC and London so I don't agree with the seeing eye-to-eye bit - the number of IB people outside of the core centers is very small. I do think there is a huge disconnect between the investment banking divisions and the private/commercial banking sides though and the power balance is broken now that IB isn't the huge money making sector that it once was.

Reaction Score

It is all relative.....maybe there is more discretionary money available after cost of living...The state of New York's cost of living was at 1.34 while Georgia's was at .92.

Median Household Income (3 year average) was $56,951.....Georgia's was $49,736.....

$49,736 X 1.42 (difference) would equal a relative buying power of $70,625 compared to New York state's $56,951.

I live in a state with no income tax, my tax on my home is about $1000 a year (grandfathered in 29 years ago...maximum increase is cost of living or 3% maximum)...Low appraisels, generous exemptions.

Reaction Score
It is all relative.....maybe there is more discretionary money available after cost of living...The state of New York's cost of living was at 1.34 while Georgia's was at .92.

Median Household Income (3 year average) was $56,951.....Georgia's was $49,736.....

$49,736 X 1.42 (difference) would equal a relative buying power of $70,625 compared to New York state's $56,951.

I live in a state with no income tax, my tax on my home is about $1000 a year (grandfathered in 29 years ago...maximum increase is cost of living or 3% maximum)...Low appraisels, generous exemptions.
Costs of living go up because of demand.

Reaction Score
Cost of living is affected by many, many things...

Way back in the day when I consulted some with the Department of Labor...I did a little work on differences between the northeast and Florida in cost of living and government program benefits....

For instance...average weekly unemployment compensation benefits in NY are triple what they are in Florida....and public servant pensions are insanely higher than the $15,000 average for the retired state employee in Florida.

The northeast has always been a higher tax area than the south and offered more services...Government was more entrenched as a service provider in the more urban NE....the older cities in the northeast had city welfare programs before the feds/states got involved. Union organizations were much stronger in the NE and drove up wages...as did northern manufacturing (think steel, autos, etc) versus service and ag employment in the south.

Housing is a huge variable..from San Francisco and NYC to Thomasville, Georgia.

The truth is, that you can live very well in some areas of the country while you would absolutely struggle on the same dollars in another area.

Reaction Score
Florida is a state that is stingy when it comes to government services and pay to government workers....the NE, by comparison, is quite different.

In 2008, state governments nationwide had an average of 216 state workers per 10,000 in population. Florida had a ratio of 118 workers per 10,000 in population. In 2008, the state government national average was $69 in payroll expenditures per state resident. Florida’s ratio was $38 in payroll expenditures per state resident."

Compared to other states, Florida ranks last in the ratio of employees to residents: 118 per 10,000 compared to the national average of 216 employees per 10,000 residents. And Florida is dead last in the nation in state employee payroll expenditures per resident: $38 compared to the national average of $69 per resident

Reaction Score
Florida is a state that is stingy when it comes to government services and pay to government workers....the NE, by comparison, is quite different.

In 2008, state governments nationwide had an average of 216 state workers per 10,000 in population. Florida had a ratio of 118 workers per 10,000 in population. In 2008, the state government national average was $69 in payroll expenditures per state resident. Florida’s ratio was $38 in payroll expenditures per state resident."

Compared to other states, Florida ranks last in the ratio of employees to residents: 118 per 10,000 compared to the national average of 216 employees per 10,000 residents. And Florida is dead last in the nation in state employee payroll expenditures per resident: $38 compared to the national average of $69 per resident

And what state is better off? Florida has no income tax or estate tax!

Reaction Score
I live quite well in Florida.

Thank you for making my original point.....Disposable income is relative...and high income states may not actually have as much disposable income as lower income states.

Reaction Score
I live quite well in Florida.

Thank you for making my original point.....Disposable income is relative...and high income states may not actually have as much disposable income as lower income states.
People still want to live in the Bos-Wash megalopolis anyway. If the ACC was so wise, they would have kept UMD, added Rutgers and UConn and have ND be #17 in basketball. THAT would have been a perfect ACC.

Reaction Score
Maryland can be faulted for leaving, not the ACC because Loh shanghied them.....

Adding Rutgers over Louisville...I think not....adding Louisville and UConn and going North-South...that might have been good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom