Exhibition vs. Queens University | The Boneyard

Exhibition vs. Queens University

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
CQaRTshU8AEZZfY.jpg

Reaction Score
PP still stinks. It will get better with time. Way better 2nd period.
Uconn: 29 shots
Queens: 11 shots

Start of 3rd period:
Uconn: 2
Queens: 1

Reaction Score
How did the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines play @ct06111 ? I can see scoring from the 2nd and 3rd lines being crucial this year to winning games. I know from where I sit behind the bench at the XL that Souza was in charge of the PP last yr..I wonder who is running it this year.

Reaction Score
I'm still don't know who's on what line, but you could tell they were shaky at 1st and still learning how to play with each other.

What I noticed:
Gendron plays up a lot and will help on O. he made a real nice play.
Naas, Thompson, and Letunov are going to be nasty together and score a lot
Tage scored, Pauly on empty netter, and I forgot the other.
Ronan is fast
Still in our own zone a lot
Felt like we were going to give up a late goal like always, but we prevailed.
Still have to work on <1:30 to go in game. We can't lose on late lazy goals.
Nichols looked good and others goalies played well
Queens had like 9 penalties and we still Cloudnt produce. We play worse on PP.
42 shot for Uconn to queens 16.

Pumped for opener

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was Golonka with the first.

Couple thoughts from today:

1. The team kind of woke up following the first goal by Queens.

2. It was noticeable the chemistry on the ice is a work in progress.

3. Letunov is the most skilled on the team already. Thompson and Letunov are going to be great when their bodies fill out.

4. Gendron definitely an offensive defenseman. He had a nice rush up the ice on one play.

5. The power play first unit was Letunov, Richardson, Naas, Masonius, and Austin. They had a lot of opportunities with the Queens' parade to the penalty box in the second.

6. Richter had a nice move to get a shot off in the third.

7. It will be interesting to see the defensive pairings next weekend and who is sitting out.

Reaction Score
Couple more thoughts:

I was definitely impressed with the size of the crowd for an exhibition. Really good support today.

The size of Letunov and Thompson really stood out today. Clearly the biggest forwards on the team. Although they still need to put on some pounds, their size is definitely going to make them a force up front, eventually.

Letunov is the playmaker the team has needed. Although he had a somewhat quiet game, already he is the best offensive player on the team. His skill is clearly evident.

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-hockey/recaps/100315aaa.html

Postgame Quotes -

Head Coach Mike Cavanaugh

Opening Statement - “I thought the crowd was fantastic for an exhibition. We had a pretty full barn here today and I thought was great for our players. I think we got off to a slow start in that first period, maybe that’s something that is expected but I thought we picked it up. Even when they scored, our power play was getting pucks to the net and we just weren’t aware of the 5-on-3 and they snuck the guy out there for a breakaway. I thought we played really well after they scored the first goal. Will’s goal, he made a great play to get it to the point, beat his guy to the net and get a rebound goal. Tage’s goal, they turned it over and we were able to capitalize on that turnover. But overall, I thought it was everything a coach wants in an exhibition game. We were able to work on killing penalties late in the game with a 2-1 lead, we worked on protecting the one goal lead and also being able to defend 5-on-6 at the end with the goalie pulled. So, a lot of things we got to work on today that are very hard to simulate in practice and I thought we executed well down the stretch. I thought our young guys, our upperclassmen and right down the lineup, I thought a lot of guys did some nice things.”

Freshman Tage Thompson on 2nd period goal - :“I came over the line and made a pretty bad play to be honest but my teammates were right there to save me. I was going top-right, he got a piece of it and it just bounced over him.”

Senior Patrick Kirtland on team’s performance - “I thought we came out kind of slow, a little sluggish maybe, forcing too many plays. But as the game went along I thought everybody got comfortable, starting in the 2nd period moving into the 3rd. I think we’re pretty happy with how we played and how we finished the game.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom