Excuse of the Week - Edition #1 | The Boneyard

Excuse of the Week - Edition #1

C

Chief00

EXCUSE of the Week:
Saw in The Hartford Courant that Randy is upset that 4 of the 5 road games are night games - throws his (semi-retirement) routine off and they get home later than they would have if it’s a day game. This impacts his and the team’s routine the following week. Since that proven routine works so well under normal circumstances - this is very disturbing!

Reaction Score
Context FWIW: Those comments were made on Tuesday not post-game.

@Alex Putterman @AlexPutterman
Randy Edsall doesn't like that teams are forced to play multiple 7 p.m. games on the road, resulting in players getting back home in at 3:30 in the morning. "You talk about student-athlete welfare? ... And then people talk about kids shouldn't get money? Shoot."

@Daily Campus Sports @dcsportsdept
Conversation turns to paying student athletes now. Mentions the early flight home. “You wanna talk about about taking advantage of kids.”

C

Chief00

Context FWIW: Those comments were made on Tuesday not post-game.

@Alex Putterman @AlexPutterman
Randy Edsall doesn't like that teams are forced to play multiple 7 p.m. games on the road, resulting in players getting back home in at 3:30 in the morning. "You talk about student-athlete welfare? ... And then people talk about kids shouldn't get money? Shoot."

@Daily Campus Sports @dcsportsdept
Conversation turns to paying student athletes now. Mentions the early flight home. “You wanna talk about about taking advantage of kids.”

Read before you post - I never said the quote was post game - I said it was in today’s paper - which it was.

Reality check - Who do you think getting in at 3:30am affects the most - a 60 something year old coach or a 20 year old college student? Let’s get real here and stop using the students as a shield.
As for the date of the excuse - he said it whenever he said it - but it was in today’s newspaper. Perhaps, it got overshadowed by his QB had small hands excuse on that Sunday?
You are missing the forest from the trees - Randy is living a life of excuses when he preaches player accountability.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

I will say this, the two coaches that I know who are most self critical - and this may surprise some - are Jim Calhoun and George Blaney. No one could be more critical of them than they are of their own performance.
I don’t see that with Randy.

Reaction Score
And he doesn’t help his case discounting the importance of wins and loses.That remark triggers ptsd from Diaco’s exhibition season comment. I like Randy a lot but that one just threw me for a bad loop. You are what your record says you are-play all freshmen now and start a new qb. It’s all about next year.

Reaction Score
Read before you post - I never said the quote was post game - I said it was in today’s paper - which it was.

Reality check - Who do you think getting in at 3:30am affects the most - a 60 something year old coach or a 20 year old college student? Let’s get real here and stop using the students as a shield.
As for the date of the excuse - he said it whenever he said it - but it was in today’s newspaper. Perhaps, it got overshadowed by his QB had small hands excuse on that Sunday?
You are missing the forest from the trees - Randy is living a life of excuses when he preaches player accountability.

Since you went back and added the highlighted text to your post... Let me clarify, nor did I - all I said was for context it wasn't said post-game but on Tuesday.

>>Edsall unhappy with late starts: UConn’s game at Tulsa on Saturday will start at 7 p.m., marking the fourth time in five road games that the Huskies have played at night.

Edsall said Tuesday that night games on the road represent one of the ways that schools, conferences and the NCAA take advantage of unpaid athletes.

“Don’t talk to me about student-athlete welfare,” Edsall said. “Getting back here at 2:30 in the morning, and thank God the clocks turn back this week or it would be another 3:30, 4:00 in the morning. When they talk about student-athlete welfare, I’m hoping in the next TV contract that the conference will put it in that teams should only have to do it one time. We’ve had to do it three times. Is that fair to these kids? People complain kids shouldn’t get money. Shoot, talk about taking advantage of kids.”

Edsall has spoken out against the NCAA’s system of amateurism in the past, saying that players should be compensated beyond scholarships for the time they put into football and the revenue they generate for their schools.<<

Reaction Score
Again, the eye test is so critical in rebuild. Are they getting better over time? Are there bright spots starting to develop? Is the team fighting hard and hanging in games? The answer is no on all accounts. The only bright spots were developed last year with Lashlee getting some offensivr explosion, and Grimes performing God’s work on an O-Line that was beyond hopeless for years. The Oline is the only group with some semblance of competitive play. The receiver corps has been squandered and even the the O line is starting to fade a bit. This is an absolute cluster. Clean out the staff and start again. You gotta know when things are on the wrong vector.

C

Chief00

Since you went back and added the highlighted text to your post... Let me clarify, nor did I - all I said was for context it wasn't said post-game but on Tuesday.

>>Edsall unhappy with late starts: UConn’s game at Tulsa on Saturday will start at 7 p.m., marking the fourth time in five road games that the Huskies have played at night.

Edsall said Tuesday that night games on the road represent one of the ways that schools, conferences and the NCAA take advantage of unpaid athletes.

“Don’t talk to me about student-athlete welfare,” Edsall said. “Getting back here at 2:30 in the morning, and thank God the clocks turn back this week or it would be another 3:30, 4:00 in the morning. When they talk about student-athlete welfare, I’m hoping in the next TV contract that the conference will put it in that teams should only have to do it one time. We’ve had to do it three times. Is that fair to these kids? People complain kids shouldn’t get money. Shoot, talk about taking advantage of kids.”

Edsall has spoken out against the NCAA’s system of amateurism in the past, saying that players should be compensated beyond scholarships for the time they put into football and the revenue they generate for their schools.<<

On one level, I admire your loyalty to Edsall. I really do. Do I think it’s going to lead us to success in this case - I don’t - but I admire it as a character trait. Over a lifetime it serves you well.
The patience you have keeping the recruiting list is also laudable, especially when nearly all our top targets go elsewhere. I know for most schools the majority of top targets go elsewhere - But we must be setting a record similar to our defense. You have a lot of patience and diligence doing that and while the results are bad it’s a useful and necessary metric for measuring an ingredient for success.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He's not wrong. Most P5's limit the primetime and midweek games their teams play in because they can. Some programs are allowed to avoid them at home all together.

C

Chief00

He's not wrong. Most P5's limit the primetime and midweek games their teams play in because they can. Some programs are allowed to avoid them at home all together.
Only our first game was not on a Saturday. When you play teams in another time zone - which our league has a few teams - the expectation of EST noon games (Randy’s favorite time) is unrealistic. A coach constantly complaining about prime time game time must confuse the kids because I bet many prefer playing night games. Again, he is projecting his life style on the team. It’s not a success base behavior.
As for @huskymedic, I paid him several compliments - so the other poster @CTMike is typing with emotion not facts.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Multiple posts now you’ve accused Edsall of using this gig as a runway to retirement instead of actually coaching. That’s based on fact? You are a bull spit artist plain and simple.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Multiple posts now you’ve accused Edsall of using this gig as a runway to retirement instead of actually coaching. That’s based on fact? You are a bull spit artist plain and simple.

Don't forget the time he called the Horde "docile" because they didn't try and create a narrative that Edsall's negligence caused a player to have a stroke.

C

Chief00

Corey, based on performance results, recruiting and winning games.
Morning practices, favors noon over night games, etc are said to be all in the interest of the student athlete when it’s much more symptomatic of a desire of someone approaching retirement than the life style of a 20 year old student.

Reaction Score
Corey, Based on performance results. Recruiting and winning games.
Morning practices, favors noon over night games all in the interest of the student athlete when it’s much more symptomatic of a desire of someone approaching retirement than the life style of. 20’year old student.

Your posting is inane.

Reaction Score
I find it sad there are those that doubt anything from Chief Panties .... :confused::rolleyes:
The self proclaimed messiah of all things UConn football???? Are youse folks kidding??? (sp meant)

I will say this, the two coaches that I know who are most self critical - and this may surprise some - are Jim Calhoun and George Blaney. No one could be more critical of them than they are of their own performance.
I don’t see that with Randy.
No hate panties but you really exposed yourself with this one..... ;)

C

Chief00

I find it sad there are those that doubt anything from Chief Panties .... :confused::rolleyes:
The self proclaimed messiah of all things UConn football???? Are youse folks kidding??? (sp meant)

No hate panties but you really exposed yourself with this one..... ;)

There is no one harder on Jim Calhoun than Jim Calhoun. I stand by that statement.

Reaction Score
Only our first game was not on a Saturday. When you play teams in another time zone - which our league has a few teams - the expectation of EST noon games (Randy’s favorite time) is unrealustic. A coach constantly complaining about prime time game time must confuse the kids because I bet many prefer playing night games. Again, he is projecting his life style on the team. It’s not a success base behavior.
As for @huskymedic, I paid him several compliments - so the other poster @CTMike is typing with emotion not facts.

I thought Randy’s favorite time for games was 11:11

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Only our first game was not on a Saturday. When you play teams in another time zone - which our league has a few teams - the expectation of EST noon games (Randy’s favorite time) is unrealustic. A coach constantly complaining about prime time game time must confuse the kids because I bet many prefer playing night games. Again, he is projecting his life style on the team. It’s not a success base behavior.

When on the road in Sept/Oct in Florida, Louisiana and Texas, night games are a blessing. It's still humid, but at least it's not over 100 on the field at night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom