Excited about the future after a loss | The Boneyard

Excited about the future after a loss

Reaction Score
I know we lost but the atmosphere of this game just felt like the special teams we had in the past. It was a typical hard fought game where we found ourselves down by a basket or two majority of the game. I was expecting us to swoop in and take the lead in the final minutes, but we just couldn't push it over the edge. Clean up the turnovers and get a couple calls to go our way and we will turn these close L's into W's. Either way, we fought extremely hard and showed a ton of emotion and swagger, something we had with Kemba and Bazz, and have been missing the past few years.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Energized XL. If we’re going to win close games AG, needs to get calls & do better at Making his FT when he does.

Reaction Score
If this team starts to solve these fixable problems, and gel like i think they are capable. With our schedule down the stretch, i see no reason why we can't go 25-6 or 24-7. Tough lose, but a ton of energy from the fans / team. I'm starting to believe with a little work and mental toughness we can become something special this year.

Reaction Score
U have to figure everyone on team is going to get 10-20% better before March. I’d even say more of an improvement- percentage wise from Sid and AG. Of course other teams will improve as well but do you really think there’s more than a handful of teams in the country that will improve as much as we will and are as deep as we are come March? It’s a miracle we didn’t lose that game by 15. Between the horrible play of our guards and about 5 ridiculous calls by the refs, we cudda won that Game by 8-10 if we just played decently.

Reaction Score
And that’s not even including Diarra getting back to 100% and the slight chance of alok getting into the fold next semester to give us some length down low and another theee point shooter. We ll be fine.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Those 24 and 25 win numbers sound like a stretch. I'd be thrilled with 20 or 21 wins.
This should be a rebuilding year but our style of play and our record has a lot of us excited, expecting unrealistic results. I do see us as a tournament team and agree with about 20-21 wins. We do need to win against FSU and Nova

Reaction Score
Cobb's right, we need to stay true to UConn. Can't let one tough loss can't destroy this recent good mojo.
Big respects to Cobb for hanging tough through his suspension last year, getting in shape and having it pay off this year. He and Ollie clearly did not get along.

Reaction Score
I know we lost but the atmosphere of this game just felt like the special teams we had in the past. It was a typical hard fought game where we found ourselves down by a basket or two majority of the game. I was expecting us to swoop in and take the lead in the final minutes, but we just couldn't push it over the edge. Clean up the turnovers and get a couple calls to go our way and we will turn these close L's into W's. Either way, we fought extremely hard and showed a ton of emotion and swagger, something we had with Kemba and Bazz, and have been missing the past few years.

I was surprised that my 74 yo aunt who has season tix at the XL, despite being a chief casual fan, called me after the game to say how excited she was about the atmosphere, never mind the loss. That's a good sign.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I’d like to see Tyler Polley get more looks. Not sure how many shots DD was taking per game in 2014 but he needs about that many looks. His shooting form is perfect, he’s really the only one I trust behind the arc(maybe AG when he’s not concussed). His body looks to be in noticeably better shape this season. We should run pick and pop plays for him and look for him more often in the open floor.

Reaction Score
And that’s not even including Diarra getting back to 100% and the slight chance of alok getting into the fold next semester to give us some length down low and another theee point shooter. We ll be fine.
he’s redshirting the semester

Reaction Score
Next year potential lineup:

• Alterique/Gaffney
• Vital/Bouknight/Adams
• Sid/Polley
• Akok/Mamadou
• Carlton/Kofi??

what's not to like....

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Those 24 and 25 win numbers sound like a stretch. I'd be thrilled with 20 or 21 wins.

That's where I've been at since preseason. I'll stick with that, unless some miraculous development occurs.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Of course other teams will improve as well but do you really think there’s more than a handful of teams in the country that will improve as much as we will and are as deep as we are come March? It’s a miracle we didn’t lose that game by 15.

Why will other teams not improve as much as ours? Is it something in the water?

And we are not deep, if we are taking talent level into account.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This should be a rebuilding year but our style of play and our record has a lot of us excited, expecting unrealistic results. I do see us as a tournament team and agree with about 20-21 wins. We do need to win against FSU and Nova

Those two don't go hand in hand unless they win the conference tournament. That's the only chance I see anyway.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
he’s redshirting the semester

Where are you seeing this? As of one week ago, Hurley mentioned a mid December return.

Technically he can't, as he's already used up his one redshirt. He could potentially apply for a 5th year waiver at the end of his eligibility.

Reaction Score
Because we are in a unique situation. Coming from a place like the last 2 years and now we have a coach. Only stands to reason that guys like Jalen Cobb and Carlton will get better. Maybe vital will calm down a bit. Gilbert and Wilson merely scratching the surface. Other teams will improve as well but we actually got worse last year as the year went on. I mean I’m assuming if you look at the way uconn player in the Iowa game and How bad our guards guards played in yesterday’s game if we played those teams again in March I just think that will be a better team than those teams would- improvement wise.

Reaction Score
Several of these guys, key guys no less, haven’t played big time basketball in a long time. By the time they shake the rust off and gain experience, a conference tourney champion / auto bid could be a possibility. We’ll see.

Reaction Score
I said “slight chance” akok plays next semester. I have heard nothing 100% official that is redshirting for sure next semester and until next semester starts or Hurley says so I ll leave the window open just a crack

Reaction Score
Where are you seeing this? As of one week ago, Hurley mentioned a mid December return.

Technically he can't, as he's already used up his one redshirt. He could potentially apply for a 5th year waiver at the end of his eligibility.
“Akok is expected to enroll at Storrs in the next month, but will redshirt the second semester and suit up as a redshirt freshman next season.” on ESPN. Akok Akok commits to UConn (ESPN) And I was referring to Akok not Diarra. Diarra should play this year and Akok should redshirt

intlzncster

Reaction Score
“Akok is expected to enroll at Storrs in the next month, but will redshirt the second semester and suit up as a redshirt freshman next season.” on ESPN. Akok Akok commits to UConn (ESPN) And I was referring to Akok not Diarra. Diarra should play this year and Akok should redshirt

Yup, I see, when you said "he", I thought you were talking about Diarra.

Reaction Score
I was surprised that my 74 yo aunt who has season tix at the XL, despite being a chief casual fan, called me after the game to say how excited she was about the atmosphere, never mind the loss. That's a good sign.
Your aunt is awesome!

Reaction Score
Perhaps a bit. I reckon we'll split with UCF and Cincy (the latter i pray - i can't stand losing to mick).. but the rest of the schedule (with fl state and nova sprinkled in) is very winnable. Very big that we don't have to play Houston at their new stadium. I may be being a little too optimistic, and we will more then likely drop a game or two that I have in the W column right now. But they have impressed and for the first time in a long time, Uconn Bball doesn't make me depressed and anxious .. well maybe a little anxious ;-). I think if we play together and gel as the season goes on and split fl state / nova 23-25 isn't out of the question.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom