Exceptions to the 10 Second Rule | The Boneyard

Exceptions to the 10 Second Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Why are the below exceptions needed/wanted? Why give benefit to the offensive team, why the defense makes a play or offense has a technical foul?

10-second backcourt exceptions

NCAA women’s basketball implemented the 10-second backcourt rule during the 2013-14 season.

For the upcoming season, a team will not be subject to the 10-second backcourt count when a throw-in results from the following:

• The ball is deflected out of bounds by the defense.
• There is a held ball, and the possession arrow favors the offensive team.
• A technical foul is called on the offensive team while the ball is in its backcourt.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In the women's game the shot clock is used to determine the 10 second rule and refs do not count seconds. These would all typically be resets of the 10 second count, but not of the shot clock so I assume that is the reason.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
In the women's game the shot clock is used to determine the 10 second rule and refs do not count seconds. These would all typically be resets of the 10 second count, but not of the shot clock so I assume that is the reason.

Can't the NCAA recruit refs that are capable of counting to 10?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Expecting the women's refs to run and count at the same time may be a bridge too far! :)
I have no idea what the rules are in MCBB, NBA, WNBA, or internationally - these could in fact be copied exceptions from any or all of those.

Reaction Score
why does a defection out of bounds re-start the 10 second count ?

Reaction Score
Why are the below exceptions needed/wanted? Why give benefit to the offensive team, why the defense makes a play or offense has a technical foul?

10-second backcourt exceptions

NCAA women’s basketball implemented the 10-second backcourt rule during the 2013-14 season.

For the upcoming season, a team will not be subject to the 10-second backcourt count when a throw-in results from the following:

• The ball is deflected out of bounds by the defense.
• There is a held ball, and the possession arrow favors the offensive team.
• A technical foul is called on the offensive team while the ball is in its backcourt.
I'm a little confused by the wording. In these situations you won't be subject to a "10-second backcourt count" does that mean there is no 10 second violation possible? or that there is a 10 second violation that happens when the shot clock hits 20? instead of current situation when the ball could be tipped out at 24 on the shot clock, and the team would have a fresh 10 seconds instead of only 4?

Reaction Score
Having been a fan of WBB since 1991 I have come to accept that there are NO good WBB refs, NONE! They ALL stink especially in the WNBA!
The main problems are:
1. The game has gotten faster and more talented and the so-called veteran refs are now in their 50's!
2.They referee 5 to 6 games a week all over either Eastern & Midwest USA or Western & Midwest USA! Too much travel, too many games! Too old!
3. The College refs are supervised by ex-refs from that Conference that are now the boss evaluating their best friends, duh!
4. The coaches have no where to complain to because "pay-back is a bitch" and refs protect each others back!
5. The NBA supervises the WNBA and they're going to pay the least salary they have to and you always get what you pay for! The WNBA is run on a shoestring budget! You pay for crap you get crap!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Having been a fan of WBB since 1991 I have come to accept that there are NO good WBB refs, NONE! They ALL stink especially in the WNBA!
The main problems are:
1. The game has gotten faster and more talented and the so-called veteran refs are now in their 50's!
2.They referee 5 to 6 games a week all over either Eastern & Midwest USA or Western & Midwest USA! Too much travel, too many games! Too old!
3. The College refs are supervised by ex-refs from that Conference that are now the boss evaluating their best friends, duh!
4. The coaches have no where to complain to because "pay-back is a bitch" and refs protect each others back!
5. The NBA supervises the WNBA and they're going to pay the least salary they have to and you always get what you pay for! The WNBA is run on a shoestring budget! You pay for crap you get crap!

Now, tell us how you really feel about these refs.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The main problems are:

"And you know whose fault it is? ANNE DONOVAN! " :mad:

Reaction Score
From my understanding, I thought the 10 second count DOES NOT restart if the ball is deflected out of bounds while still in the backcourt. I could be mistaken

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
These are new rules so there is no 10 second clock under the mentioned scenarios

From my understanding, I thought the 10 second count DOES NOT restart if the ball is deflected out of bounds while still in the backcourt. I could be mistaken

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That would eliminate a select class of people- UNC graduates since 1997- think of the law suit.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The new 10-second rules have been clarified:

In a story June 9, The Associated Press reported on a series of changes coming next season to men's and women's college basketball. The story referred to the 10-second limit for women's teams to advance the ball to the frontcourt, but it should have explained that the limit is not reset if the ball is deflected out of bounds by the defense, there is a held ball and the possession arrow favors the offensive team, or a technical foul is called on the offensive team while the ball is in its backcourt. The story also should have specified that post defenders, not all players, will be allowed to use hand-checks when an offensive player is in the lane and has her back to the basket.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
The main problems are:

Yawn.

1. Ditto for the men's game.
2. Ditto for the men's game.
3. Ditto for the men's game.
4. Bull carp. They complain, refs are reassigned... but often coaches are flat wrong.
5. Wrong.

Actually, it's the Conferences fault - that's where referees "grow" but the conferences don't want to pay for professional development.

Reaction Score
The new 10-second rules have been clarified:

In a story June 9, The Associated Press reported on a series of changes coming next season to men's and women's college basketball. The story referred to the 10-second limit for women's teams to advance the ball to the frontcourt, but it should have explained that the limit is not reset if the ball is deflected out of bounds by the defense, there is a held ball and the possession arrow favors the offensive team, or a technical foul is called on the offensive team while the ball is in its backcourt. The story also should have specified that post defenders, not all players, will be allowed to use hand-checks when an offensive player is in the lane and has her back to the basket.
Good quote...except I am still a bit confused. a technical foul is called on the offensive team while the ball is in its backcourt. Does the offensive team loses the possession if called with a technical foul?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom