Evina Westbrook Signed By Minnesota - Hardship | The Boneyard

Evina Westbrook Signed By Minnesota - Hardship

Reaction Score
Looks like Evina may have a few minutes playing time with Minnesota. Finally Minnesota makes one good decision. Likely very short term.

Reaction Score
1652372560341.png

Reaction Score
Looks like Evina may have a few minutes playing time with Minnesota. Finally Minnesota makes one good decision. Likely very short term.
I know Natalie is likely out for the season, who are they bringing in Evina for?

Reaction Score
I know Natalie is likely out for the season, who are they bringing in Evina for?
I’m not sure but Stewie and Prince I believe are out due to Covid protocols. Maybe just short players. Not thinking this will be long term. Where is the other thread? I can’t find it.

Reaction Score
They also signed Rennia Davis to a similar contract the day before.

Reaction Score
E instead of CD. Is this a height thing? Does this remove Cheryl from some BYer hate lists?
;)
Don't hate her, but she's made some extremely stupid roster decisions that will probably come to haunt the Lynx over the next few years. Without Fowles next season, the team seems ready to continue a steep decline.

Reaction Score
They also signed Rennia Davis to a similar contract the day before.
Yes I saw that. Just realized I mentioned the wrong players in my statement above. Got my teams mixed up. Not sure if Minnesota has any Covid protocols going on? But they certainly do need to make some changes. Hopefully these two additions will help.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So she gets kicked to the curb once some Int players come back? Got to unlearn one system and relearn another. Brutal. So who are these players?

If you play only 2 games, do you get 2/36 salary?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
This is just a hardship contract, so she could be gone in a few days as other players return from Europe or from injury, as happened with Crystal in Indiana. Don't get too excited yet.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Natalie Achonwa Injury Update​

May 11, 2022

MINNEAPOLIS/ST. PAUL – The Minnesota Lynx today announced that an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) taken at Mayo Clinic in Minneapolis on forward Natalie Achonwa confirmed the diagnosis of a right hamstring strain. She will be out indefinitely and further updates will be issued when available.

I'm very glad to hear that Evina is back on an active WNBA roster. Her signing appears to be to replace Achonwa on the roster. Achonwa will be ready to return at some point during the season. Will Evina be released then, or another player? Stay tuned.

JoePgh, you answered my question as I was writing my comment, thanks.

UHF

Reaction Score
Don't hate her, but she's made some extremely stupid roster decisions that will probably come to haunt the Lynx over the next few years. Without Fowles next season, the team seems ready to continue a steep decline.

Cheryl Reeve's roster decisions helped the Lynx to 4 WNBA championships. Drafts, trades, free agency, injuries, and aging lead to cycles in sports.

GOAT PG Sue Bird won 2 titles with Lauren Jackson and 2 titles with Breanna Stewart. Zero titles in between. Nothing wrong with that. Talent comes and goes. So do coaches.

Tom Brady led the NE Patriots to Super Bowl wins in 01, 03, 04. Brady did not lead the Patriots to another Super Bowl win until 2014. 10 years later. Was it 100% the fault of head coach and GM Bill Belichick? Or did talent cycling thru the NFL have something to do with that?

Time will tell if Cheryl Reeve's plan to rebuild and reload is successful during 2023 thru 2025.

Jim

Reaction Score
This is just a hardship contract, so she could be gone in a few days as other players return from Europe or from injury, as happened with Crystal in Indiana. Don't get too excited yet.
Yes, I think this is only temporary until Kayla McBride returns from her overseas commitments.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
In general I largely agree. The decisions to cut who they did in favor of guards who don't like to pass, and would rather shoot, is a bit mystifying.

Having said that, not sure how long it would necessarily last. Boston, Jones, Miller (Diamond), Owusu, Key, among others are all coming out of college after next year (assuming none take the Covid mulligan). Landing Boston would obviously be huge for them, especially to replace Fowles. BUT no guarantee of course...

Plus, I doubt Evina sticks after McBride comes back. So it will be easy to go back to rooting against Minny.

UHF

Reaction Score
In general I largely agree. The decisions to cut who they did in favor of guards who don't like to pass, and would rather shoot, is a bit mystifying.

. . . .

Plus, I doubt Evina sticks after McBride comes back. So it will be easy to go back to rooting against Minny.

if Napheesa Collier was playing the entire 2022 season, would you still be rooting against the Lynx? Inquiring minds want to know.

;):cool::p:D

Reaction Score
What? Are you implying that there are people out there who actually remove someone from their grudge list? This is news to me. Let me give this some thought. ....... Forget it. Laettner stays my list.

Reaction Score
Angel McCoughtry played less than seven minutes and Aerial Powers sat more than she played as the Lynx lost to a rookie-filled team that won only six games last season.

Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve never raised her voice, but she made her point.
Reeve had just watched her team's 82-76 loss at Indiana on Tuesday, one that dropped the Lynx to 0-3. She saw a team that, up nine after a quarter, get outscored 36-18 in the second. She saw, again, players that were playing below their abilities. She saw a team that, in places, was struggling with confidence.
Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Prior to signing Evina, Coach Reeves sat two starters for much of the game against the Fever, apparently for lack of effort. Pretty sure that maximum effort and competence are two traits Evina will bring to the club. The Lynx also signed Rennia Davis to a hardship contract to fill in for their back-up center who was lost for up to three weeks with a a hamstring strain. I've added Lynx games to my watchlist on Amazon prime. I hope Liv will be healthy and playing when the L.A. Sparks play the Lynx on the 29th. It would be the 2nd time Liv and Evina were playing against each other this season.

Reaction Score
Angel McCoughtry's contract was just bought out by Minnesota and she was released. Evidently they weren't satisfied with her recovery from knee surgery. Evina's signing makes more sense now. More info here (might be inside a paywall):

Reaction Score
These decisions are kinda smart, the next 3 years, you want to be in position to get Boston, Buekers or Fudd, etc. if your not that great of a team anyways you might as well try and get these generational players that will be available soon. Try and get fans in the arena and win for the foreseeable future. Would be awesome to have the top pick in two years and bring Paige home.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom