Everything I'm feeling right now | The Boneyard

Everything I'm feeling right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
SO, I guess now would be time to tell a very personal story about me. Bear with me; it does have relevance to UConn WBB.

ON SUnday July 7, 2013 I awoke with a terrible headache, one that had all the symptoms of a migraine. Long story short, the pain never went away, and the morning of July 9, I was admitted into the ER at Yale New Haven Hospital. Immediately, the doctors found brain hemorraghing, and even worse, a tumor. That's right- at age 35, I was diagnosed with glioblastoma.

Over the course of that week, I had two brain surgeries- one to alleviate the hemorraghing by taking out a piece of my skull, and the other to remove the tumor. I don't even remember having the second surgery. I do remember waking up a hot mess, being difficult with nurses, pulling an entire tube out of my mouth and throat without permission, and just generally being not myself.

ANd you know what? I came back one night. Intellectually, I was the person I'd been before this horrifying experience. I was assigned a sweet, garrulous, attractive nurse I was inclined to talk to, and what was one of the things I talked about? UConn WBB! I was so excited after talking to her about it that I even buzzed her back to my hospital bed just to tell her more about why the team would be so good this year, how the Huskies had Stef and Kaleena and Breanna and Bria and and and... I guess primal fear was lessened by anticipation of great things to come.

Well, after a ghastly period of losing my girlfriend and undergoing chemo-radiation, it was just about time for an exhibition game against Gannon. I was happy to have made it to the season, and even happier to take my daughter to the Gannon game. One of the things that was like medicine to me was to pour my love and dedication into that angel and my amazing son. And you know what? UConn has been like medicine to me, too: Getting to see something beautiful and dominant, a team that was everything I anticipated (even from the hospital). I even found a new girlfriend, who as it happens went to UConn from 1992 to 1996 and knew just about everyone from the men's and women's teams during that time. My health has also improved tremendously, at least for the time being. In short, I may not be home free, but my outlook is far less bleak than it was in July of last year.

I'm not saying UConn WBB cured me. I'm just saying I couldn't wait for this season after everything that happened to me. I'm saying this season has been everything I hoped, and I can't wait until next season either.

I'm saying thank you to Geno and to his great team. Thank you for giving me something to focus on. I'm very proud to live in this state. I'm proud of all of you.

And I feel much better. That's saying a lot.

Reaction Score
Wow, Alex. Thanks for sharing that. Sorry to hear about your health issues. I am a firm believer that a positive attitude is as important as the best medical care. Glad the Huskies proved such a positive distraction for you. And especially glad your outlook is better.

Stay strong, my friend.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am so happy for you, my friend. I share your love of the Huskies.

I read Geno's book in 2006 when I was recovering from kidney cancer surgery. I know our affection for the Huskies gets us all through tough times.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Wow. Alex, I'm so sorry to hear what you've been through but pleased that your condition has improved.

I'm an oncology nurse and some of my patients have been basketball fans so we've had much to talk about during the past few weeks. It's allowed them to take their mind off of chemo, radiation, etc., and has allowed us to share something in common. I haven't cared for any UConn fans, but at least they know all about Geno down here in Philadelphia.

Thanks for sharing your story. You've just provided me with the best reason for this national championship: it has given you joy in what has been a tough, tough year. Best wishes for continued improvement in your health.

Reaction Score
Wow! Sounds like a story book just like UConn's basketball journey. Enjoy the moment, because if you don't it will pass you.
May the health be with you.

Reaction Score
Alex: Barbara and I are just home from a great night at friends, with the game at the center of it all. Very glad you chose to tell your tale here, Young Fella. It was spoken like a champ. Our trials and tribulations can come at any age. Your taste in teams is impeccable.....and it sure sounds like your taste in women has gotten to where it needs to be.....take it from one who knows. Stay well. Winlots

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wow - lovely story and thank you for sharing and best wishes for future good health.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Blessings, Alex, you have received blessings. Even in the darkest night there are always specks of light. Fleeting moments. Enjoy them in your kids, your friends, and always in the inspiration we all find together in the Huskies.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing that with all of us, Alex. Glad you are doing better! It is amazing how much good feeling a connection can do, and you are certainly connected to us all on the Yard. Best wishes and keep posting. You are a rock around here!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm so sorry to hear of your health issues.

Sometimes I fret at how an old piece of crap like me
is so bloody healthy in the face of younger folks travails.

My favorite ex-student's sister is fighting stage 4 bone cancer at 13!

But I am delighted at your recovery…And your love for the team.

They really did it this time.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear of your health issues but happy to hear you are on the road to recovery. I can appreciate the positive affect the UConn women's team can have on someone going through a very difficult time. In January 2000 I lost part of a lung to cancer and while recuperating at home I got to watch most of the games and all of the tournament run. Prior to them winning it all I received a "get well" card signed by the entire team. My very loving and thoughtful wife initiated this by writing to Geno. That guaranteed I would forever be a rabid fan of both the team and Geno.
Good luck with your continued recovery and stay positive.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Get well Alex. It is great that UConn WBB was your medicine.
Look forward to more posts.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Glad you are feeling better. Hope thing continue to go good for you. Glad UCONN was able to have a great season for you.

Reaction Score
Thank you for sharing that, Alex. And thanking God for your recuperation, for the blessings in your life, and for the joy that the Huskies brought you in the midst of a dark, dark time.
Praying for your continued health and happiness.

Reaction Score
I am so happy for you, my friend. I share your love of the Huskies.

I read Geno's book in 2006 when I was recovering from kidney cancer surgery. I know our affection for the Huskies gets us all through tough times.
Alex, thanks for sharing your story and so glad your health is heading in a positive direction.

MH, I had kidney cancer surgery in 2006 also! I assume you know about Swin (same thing though maybe a few years later).

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Wow- thanks for sharing! God Bless!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads