ESPYs - Best Female College Athlete Award | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPYs - Best Female College Athlete Award

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Actually if you look at the 2014 WNBA stats, you actually can see that Diggins was the WBBA's top player since she was on the court the most. Besides the Minutes Played and Minutes Per Game categories, the other two she led in was Free Throws and Free Throw Attempts, so she's the best at getting herself fouled, something I had no clue about from watching all those games against UConn when she practically needed to be slammed to the court by a bulldozer to get a foul call. Uh yup.

Strangely, Diggins is not in the top 10 in Offensive Rating, Defensive Rating, Defensive Win Shares, Win Shares, or Win Shares Per 48 Minutes, but she is #2 in Offensive Win Shares behind only Maya, which shows what lots of minutes can do for you. However, though it does show that Diggins is a potent offensive force, you know she has to be close to a 0 at Defensive Win Shares since she had a 4.1 OWS and she would have only needed a 0.6 DWS to make the Win Shares category. Looking up her numbers, it's actually worse than that, as she was rated at -0.2 for Defensive Win Shares. Even KML who is supposedly a bit defensively challenged in her first season in the WNBA has a better Defensive Rating and Defensive Win Shares this year than Diggins did last year. Oh, oh.

But again, it's the minutes and FTAs that count, so Diggins is by far the best even if she is a liability on defense. And if you look at the O&D Ratings and Win Shares categories you'll notice a really nice fact, that four of the 6 categories are topped by ex-Huskies (that big lug Griner controls the Defensive categories). But Maya only tops three of those four categories, because it was Tiff Hayes who topped the Offensive Rating category by a smidge over Courtney Paris, with EDD and Maya in 3rd and 4th.

Yowza Tiff!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
She got my vote :cool:

Actually..... I forget if I actually did vote.... but if I did... I voted for her. Skylar not Stewart.
Well even if you were wearing Devil-blue tinted glasses as all the BYers wear their Husky blue specs, it would be a bit hard to find an ex-Duke player to vote for with any conviction. But Erlana Larkins had a strong season with the 6th most Win Shares, way more than Diggins, so I'm sure you could vote for an old Tar Heel player, couldn't you?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well, different people have different tastes. I vote for Stewart not only I really like her also because she does not use so much make-up and fancy clothes.

Did Stewart and Diggins go head to head in any ESPY categories?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
No,
Stewart: Best Female Athlete, Best Female College Athlete
Diggins: Best WNBA Player

http://rollingout.com/sports/2015-espy-award-winners/

Ok....... so my vote for Diggins didnt hurt Stewart... though my vote for Serena Williams as Best Female Athlete did.

Well, different people have different tastes.
I vote for Stewart not only I really like her also because she is so natural. She likes the girl next door and does not use so much make-up and fancy clothes.

Guess the girl next door depends on which neighborhood you live in ;) And nothing wrong with a female who wears fancy clothes and make-up :cool:

Reaction Score
If I can vote now:
Best Female Athlete: Serena
Best Female College Athlete: Stewart
Best WNBA Player: Moore

Reaction Score
As far as best WNBA player, is that for this year's play or last. If this year, what happened to EDD and Angel. If for last year it was either DT or Maya. But since this award has to have some advantage for ESPN then I guess Skylar was the way to go..... like Jenner.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
CKD3CvPUsAAe52A.jpg:large
Nice pic of Sky, but for a glamour or general context, not so much for a sports award context.

The ESPY award date is a bit odd for the WNBA season. Did the award pertain to last season, this season, or parts of each? I thought the best WNBA player over last season was clearly the MVP, Maya Moore.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
As far as best WNBA player, is that for this year's play or last. If this year, what happened to EDD and Angel. If for last year it was either DT or Maya. But since this award has to have some advantage for ESPN then I guess Skylar was the way to go..... like Jenner.

Please don't put the two of them in the same statement :oops:

Reaction Score

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Even KML who is supposedly a bit defensively challenged in her first season in the WNBA has a better Defensive Rating and Defensive Win Shares this year than Diggins did last year. Oh, oh.

There may be a little bit of a sample size isue with KML.

Reaction Score
Usain Bolt set the world record in the indoor 100-Meters in August, 2014 in Warsaw! Next time have a clue what you're talking about before you reply. Here, complete with video http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...r-100-meter-record-in-warsaw-national-stadium

The only clue required is that you know nothing about track and field. The 100 meters does not have an indoor world record because it not run enough for it to be credible. The IAAF apparently agrees. Show me the IAAF verified and recognized indoor 100 meter world record, then you will have proven that you have a clue. Do yourself a favor and go beyond Bleacher Report for your track information. Bolt ran a "world best" time that was run in a stadium that happened to have its roof closed, in a low-level meet, against a mid-level field. Nothing Bolt has done in the last two seasons deserved ESPY consideration.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
There may be a little bit of a sample size isue with KML.
Oh sure, if you have a bad defensive rating and a negative Defensive Win Share score for a full season's 34 games, you know you've been sized up as a poor defender by the real numbers instead of having one of your old school's fans point to some steal you had a few games back as proof that you're a tiger lady out there.

KML at least has a flat score and has time to improve as things settle in.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Oh sure, if you have a bad defensive rating and a negative Defensive Win Share score for a full season's 34 games, you know you've been sized up as a poor defender by the real numbers instead of having one of your old school's fans point to some steal you had a few games back as proof that you're a tiger lady out there.

KML at least has a flat score and has time to improve as things settle in.

Not disagreeing that Skylar is a bad defender, though her offensive ability makes her overall a net positive.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Not disagreeing that Skylar is a bad defender, though her offensive ability makes her overall a net positive.
Oh yeah, and we know that offensive ability can be combined with a certain inspirational presence that doesn't really show up in any numbers but can carry a team to a win. It is though kind of the situation of a big-hitting shortstop who provides some key winning homers but whose frequent defensive miscues may cost the team a playoff spot. Deciding on which side of the plus\minus meter the arrow is pointing is what the coach has to do, and for Tulsa that answer is very obvious..

Reaction Score
Oh yeah, and we know that offensive ability can be combined with a certain inspirational presence that doesn't really show up in any numbers but can carry a team to a win. It is though kind of the situation of a big-hitting shortstop who provides some key winning homers but whose frequent defensive miscues may cost the team a playoff spot. Deciding on which side of the plus\minus meter the arrow is pointing is what the coach has to do, and for Tulsa that answer is very obvious..
Defensive liability:

http://m.mlb.com/video/v3134880/nyyoak-gm-3-jeter-cuts-down-runner-with-iconic-flip

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The only clue required is that you know nothing about track and field. The 100 meters does not have an indoor world record because it not run enough for it to be credible. The IAAF apparently agrees. Show me the IAAF verified and recognized indoor 100 meter world record, then you will have proven that you have a clue. Do yourself a favor and go beyond Bleacher Report for your track information. Bolt ran a "world best" time that was run in a stadium that happened to have its roof closed, in a low-level meet, against a mid-level field. Nothing Bolt has done in the last two seasons deserved ESPY consideration.
How about NYTimes?
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/sports/bolt-breaks-indoor-mark.html?_r=0

or CBSSports?
http://www.cbssports.com/general/ey...sain-bolt-sets-indoor-100-meters-world-record

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
True with the links, but all the naysayers are correct, and just because a doofus sports media site that features idjit Gregg Doyel says something, it does not mean it's correct or that it means anything. The Times at least had the sense to say something vague about "the event's indoor version," which gives their clueless staff something to fall back on with a "We meant Warsaw event record," if someone who knows anything about track were to ask them. Indoor records are set during the winter season and do not include the 100m, period, even if certain clueless media sites want to hype up the attention. I work for a track and field media site, and though we do everything to hype an athlete's every step, we would not say something so baldly out of place. World records are not recognized in events like the 100m because they are never run during the indoor season. You could just as easily set up a 150m race and proclaim your winners world champions. Putting a dome over your stadium and calling your August records "indoors" is just a pathetic way to get athletes to come to a meet.

The indoor T&F records are listed here, and no you are not allowed to lop a 0 off the 1000m and call it the 100m.

Reaction Score
This award is a joke.
Seeing the Kardashame-less family reunion on the red carpet is disgusting.
I only watch UConn on any of their stations and I don't follow any Pro Football any more because of these decisions they make!It should have went to Lauren Hill Period!How much money has Bruce Jenner make since coming out!Him and his family are nothing but immoral losers and for ESPN to use this for good ratings makes them the same!The part about the NFL is because they hired a Double Murderer in Ray Lewis who works in my Hometown of Bristol!Everyone knows he killed those 2 men!Where is your White Suit Ray?Bristol already has its own NFL Serial Killer in Aaron Hernandez who is another loser!I used to be proud of ESPN being here Not anymore!!!

Reaction Score
You guys are getting way too fired up over these awards. Absolutely no one cares about the ESPYs.

Reaction Score
Stewart has nothing to do with WNBA yet. I don't have a problem with people voting for Diggins. She's had an ok carreer as opposed to Shoni Schimmels making the starting WNBA starting All Star team. I think,it's great for the WNBA that they have outstanding "name" players. It is kind of embarrassing when mediocre players are voted in but Sklyar is a very good player.
That all stars are

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Stewart has nothing to do with WNBA yet. I don't have a problem with people voting for Diggins. She's had an ok carreer as opposed to Shoni Schimmels making the starting WNBA starting All Star team. I think,it's great for the WNBA that they have outstanding "name" players. It is kind of embarrassing when mediocre players are voted in but Sklyar is a very good player.
That all stars are
Name players are indeed good to have for a sport like the WNBA. And let's face it, there would have been just a few "congrats" messages here if the real MVP had been chosen. Glam faces, controversy and highly debatable issues always get clicks and eyeballs, even if there things like Isaiah Thomas's job with the Liberty that make at least a few of us squirm. And if Anna Kournikova was still playing tennis, she too would be getting some of these "popular" type votes as the best tennis player, though again as with Jenner, Anna at least reached the top by winning some grand slam championships (in doubles).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom