ESPYs - Best Female College Athlete Award | The Boneyard

ESPYs - Best Female College Athlete Award

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Candace Hill, a sprinter, won the Gatorade High School AOY over, among others, Katie Lous Samuelson.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Franklin also won the Honda award.

Although I know she is a "star" due to Olympics, World Championships, etc. it is actually not a bad thing if the award doesn't always go to a WBB player, because, in general, WBB gets the most collegiate exposure.

Reaction Score
There were several really poor choices, and even poor nominees. Overall there seemed to be a strong bias in favor of athletes from the major professional sports in the USA, mostly football, baseball and basketball. Diggins was clearly one of the worst selections, but in the best play bracket, though Beckham's catch was something, Lionel Messi's goal was simply unbelievable. And for Usain Bolt to be left out of any nomination at all is ridiculous. One of the ways that I think we can judge athletes of different generations is to compare how they fared against the competitors of their own era. Bolt simply has no equal and nobody even close. When he set the 100 meter indoor record last August he won by 3-4 yards...that's a stunning margin for an international 100 meter event.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Lionel Messi's goal was simply unbelievable. . . .

Speaking of goals (not from this year, but still), a friend of mine showed me this video of Zlatan Imbrahimovic .... my jaw was dropping :)

Reaction Score
There were several really poor choices, and even poor nominees. Overall there seemed to be a strong bias in favor of athletes from the major professional sports in the USA, mostly football, baseball and basketball. Diggins was clearly one of the worst selections, but in the best play bracket, though Beckham's catch was something, Lionel Messi's goal was simply unbelievable. And for Usain Bolt to be left out of any nomination at all is ridiculous. One of the ways that I think we can judge athletes of different generations is to compare how they fared against the competitors of their own era. Bolt simply has no equal and nobody even close. When he set the 100 meter indoor record last August he won by 3-4 yards...that's a stunning margin for an international 100 meter event.

As much as I like track athletes getting recognition, Usain Bolt over the last year is the wrong person. He was not ranked in the top ten in the world last year in either the 100m or the 200m. He is not having a great season this year either. Hopefully, he will be in better form for the world championships in a few weeks. Also, Bolt set the 100m record in August 2009 (and the 100m isn't run indoors).

Reaction Score
But the best WNBA player was....what a joke!
Best WNBA Player
**Skylar Diggins, Tulsa Shock** (WINNER)(2014 All WNBA 1st team, WNBA POM June 2015)

Brittney Griner, Phoenix Mercury(off court drama)
Maya Moore, Minnesota Lynx( case can be made)
Candace Parker, Los Angeles Sparks(taking the year off)
Diana Taurasi, Phoenix Mercury(Taking the year off, letting her team down)
I must have missed the Joke!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Speaking of goals (not from this year, but still), a friend of mine showed me this video of Zlatan Imbrahimovic .... my jaw was dropping :)

Yow!. What that video doesn't show is how many times he must have been dragged down in the box by defenders who are completely freaked on how to stop him. Got to believe he's an expert hacky sack footbag player too.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Zlatan is, how shall we say, Zlatan.

zlatan-ibrahimovic-quotes_o_833374.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Best WNBA Player
**Skylar Diggins, Tulsa Shock** (WINNER)(2014 All WNBA 1st team, WNBA POM June 2015)

Brittney Griner, Phoenix Mercury(off court drama)
Maya Moore, Minnesota Lynx( case can be made)
Candace Parker, Los Angeles Sparks(taking the year off)
Diana Taurasi, Phoenix Mercury(Taking the year off, letting her team down)
I must have missed the Joke!
Yea, some things fly right over people's heads. It's ok. Maybe you'll get the next one.

Reaction Score
Yea, some things fly right over people's heads. It's ok. Maybe you'll get the next one.
but since you're not even the one who said it was a joke, maybe you can break it down for me, then I can understand it?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
but since you're not even the one who said it was a joke, maybe you can break it down for me, then I can understand it?
Don't think I'll be able to learn you nuthin'.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Hey, SD did shoot 42.3% for the season, and I have been told by some supposedly very smart posters that 42.3 % is very very very good for the WNBA, and heck even Maya only shot 48.1%. But it's SD's 28.2% on the 3-pt shooting that makes me wonder what the ESPY pundits were inserting in their noses prior to the vote.

And yes I know that stats and numbers mean nothing. It's just our "hunches" and "feels" that count.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The ESPY nominations are chosen by experts (or maybe "experts"), but voted on by fans.

It's a popularity contest. Skylar is the most popular player in the WNBA (was leading All-Star voting before her injury). Nothing more to it.

They just nominated the All-WNBA 1st team and Skylar won the vote.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The ESPY nominations are chosen by experts (or maybe "experts"), but voted on by fans.

It's a popularity contest. Skylar is the most popular player in the WNBA (was leading All-Star voting before her injury). Nothing more to it.

They just nominated the All-WNBA 1st team and Skylar won the vote.
Alright, so it was a lot of people doing some snorting instead of just a panel of experts. I'm at least glad to know it was a populist ripsnorter.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The indoor 100 meter record is kind of an oddity in that the 100 isn't run in indoor track, but is sometimes ran at regular track events that happen to take place in stadiums with roofs.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
She got my vote :cool:

Actually..... I forget if I actually did vote.... but if I did... I voted for her. Skylar not Stewart.

Reaction Score
She got my vote :cool:

Actually..... I forget if I actually did vote.... but if I did... I voted for her. Skylar not Stewart.
Well, different people have different tastes.
I vote for Stewart not only I really like her also because she is so natural. She likes the girl next door and does not use so much make-up and fancy clothes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22