ESPNW: Young female athletes choosing volleyball over basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPNW: Young female athletes choosing volleyball over basketball

Reaction Score
No, I don't got it! All tall kids don't play basketball, so what point is being made with his comment?

I didn't respond to your question more fully because I sensed you were itching for an argument............I see that I was correct..........you are new to this forum..........please feel free to make your point but you'll find being a bit less confrontational will serve you well around here...........

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I didn't respond to your question more fully because I sensed you were itching for an argument..I see that I was correct.....you are new to this forum.....please feel free to make your point but you'll find being a bit less confrontational will serve you well around here......

No, I wasn't looking for an argument at all. I simply had no idea why you felt your post made any kind of valuable sense whatsoever. It was like saying, I walked into the high school gym today and noticed both the girl's volleyball and basketball teams were practicing. The tallest players were playing volleyball instead of basketball.

So what? Are you not aware that being tall, athletic, and have the ability to jump high are great assets for volleyball players?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No, I wasn't looking for an argument at all. I simply had no idea why you felt your post made any kind of valuable sense whatsoever. It was like saying, I walked into the high school gym today and noticed both the girl's volleyball and basketball teams were practicing. The tallest players were playing volleyball instead of basketball.
So what? Are you not aware that being tall, athletic, and have the ability to jump high are great assets for volleyball players?
Sometimes (not always) the title of the thread actually provides a great clue as to the topic of the opinions contained in the thread. In this case that title: "Young female athletes choosing volleyball over basketball" was obviously misleading. :cool:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
One interesting tidbit from the article is that I had no idea that R.J. White (plays locally at UNC-G) is the son of former LaTech Star and NBA first rounder Randy White. Now I know..... and now I know his daughter plays VB at Texas. I'll try to watch some of their games next season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
One interesting tidbit from the article is that I had no idea that R.J. White (plays locally at UNC-G) is the son of former LaTech Star and NBA first rounder Randy White. Now I know..... and now I know his daughter plays VB at Texas. I'll try to watch some of their games next season.
That's just like both David Robinson and Torii Hunter sons both playing football at ND at a time when Football parents like Bo Jackson are telling thier son's to look into other sports.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Volleyball vs Basketball: Take an average high school basketball team, and have them play the next opponent in the volleyball's team schedule at volleyball Have the volleyball team play a basketball game on the girls' basketball schedule. .. .. Which team would put in a better performance? I know.

Reaction Score

I believe the original premise was that participation in high school volleyball is growing while high school basketball is shrinking slightly.........my statement was a lighthearted note of personal frustration that three very tall athletic girls that in the past might have played basketball and really helped our team had instead chosen to play volleyball...................if that doesn't meet with your criteria as a "valuable" comment then you have my profuse apologies...............

Reaction Score
Volleyball vs Basketball: Take an average high school basketball team, and have them play the next opponent in the volleyball's team schedule at volleyball Have the volleyball team play a basketball game on the girls' basketball schedule. .. .. Which team would put in a better performance? I know.

I watched some top notch college volleyball this past season and have come to appreciate how skilled these players are and how complicated the game actually is..................that said I agree with your point................I think:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
@Charliebball - :) Had you truly wanted to add something valuable, perhaps you should have asked the girls why they weren't playing basketball. Their answers might have been both enlightening and interesting. Anyway, sorry I caused such commotion. Had you answered my original (and simple) reply appropriately, the results would have most likely been very different.

Reaction Score
@Charliebball - :) Had you truly wanted to add something valuable, perhaps you should have asked the girls why they weren't playing basketball. Their answers might have been both enlightening and interesting. Anyway, sorry I caused such commotion. Had you answered my original (and simple) reply appropriately, the results would have most likely been very different.

Sorry, not used to having my innocuous comments critiqued on this forum......in the future I will try to be more careful and concise

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Now I have a question about volleyball. I know the men's net is higher than the women's.... but is there a different height in Women's College volleyball and the one they use in high school?

Reaction Score
just looked up the origins of volleyball........it's another New England sport

Origin of volleyball. On February 9, 1895, in Holyoke, Massachusetts (USA), William G. Morgan, a YMCA physical education director, created a new game called Mintonette as a pastime to be played (preferably) indoors and by any number of players. The game took some of its characteristics from tennis and handball.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I believe they are the same height (7 feet,4-1/8 inches)

Oh ok. The reason I ask is that my best friend from childhood's neice is a good hs volleyball player..... earned a Division I scholarship for next season. I was watching some of her highlights and was like wow.... she's quite explosive as an outside hitter.... but she's only 5'10. I wonder if she will have to change positions in college or not. Im not sure if she ever played basketball or not.

Reaction Score
I believe you will find that the height of the net in men's volleyball is 7 feet 11 5/8 inches, and in women's volleyball is 7 feet 4 1/8 inches. This applies to both college and high school.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oh ok. The reason I ask is that my best friend from childhood's neice is a good hs volleyball player..... earned a Division I scholarship for next season. I was watching some of her highlights and was like wow.... she's quite explosive as an outside hitter.... but she's only 5'10. I wonder if she will have to change positions in college or not. Im not sure if she ever played basketball or not.

It's not very common, but you can definitely find examples of sub 6' outside hitters playing at the D1 college level.

Reaction Score

:) That's like asking if Gabby Williams, a high school 5'11 point guard, would or could play post for the No. 1 women's college basketball team in the country. At 5'10 she would be small for an outside hitter, but there are many factors to consider. For example, maybe she can jump out of the gym? Not trying to be a wiseguy, but questions like this make me laugh.

Reaction Score

just like on any team I suppose it will depend on whether there are better players at that position..........at the bigger schools there are numerous players up front that are 6'2"-6'4" but there are also plenty of 5'10"-6'1" players who have good jumping ability

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Delle Donne played volleyball at Delaware for at least 1 season before resuming her basketball career. She was a decent but not remotely close to exceptional volleyball player. They made the NCAA Tournament and I believe they got flattened in the first round.

Reaction Score
Delle Donne played volleyball at Delaware for at least 1 season before resuming her basketball career. She was a decent but not remotely close to exceptional volleyball player. They made the NCAA Tournament and I believe they got flattened in the first round.

I think once you reach the college level just being a 6'3"-6'4" athlete with average skills is not enough to make you a dominant volleyball player..................gee same thing applies to basketball......................

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Maybe the opportunity to play in their underwear is appealing.

Griner wanted to play volleyball but was denied the request to wear longer shorts so she turned to basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom