ESPN's 10 best WCBB Players Next Year. No Love for Liv or CW, but Evina Gets a Nod... | The Boneyard

ESPN's 10 best WCBB Players Next Year. No Love for Liv or CW, but Evina Gets a Nod...

Reaction Score
I hope Liv and CW use this as a little more motivation (they already seem highly motivated, but every little bit helps). And I hope Evina is healthy and as advertised. And my biggest hope is that there is actually a season next season!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Don't think that list is unfair at all. Neither Williams nor ONO had a season as good as anyone else on that list. Williams really had no sophomore leap. Unless she has one this coming season, she likely won't be the best player on the team.

Reaction Score
2019 #1 Haley Jones is not in the list too. ESPN has lost its credibility already ..

How? Haley Jones did nothing to prove she will be one of the top ten players next year. She had a "nice" freshman season until her injury, but nowhere near the season to be included on this list.

If any freshman besides Bsoton deserves to be on the list, is Rickea Jackson, who frankly, is better than Jones.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I hope Liv and CW use this as a little more motivation (they already seem highly motivated, but every little bit helps). And I hope Evina is healthy and as advertised. And my biggest hope is that there is actually a season next season!

Honestly Westbrook seems like a strange pick even if they wanted a UCONN player on there. I wouldve picked CW despite her somewhat underwhelming sophomore year. Evina hasnt played in over a year and was solid but not spectacular at Tennessee. Both Rennia Davis and Rickea Jackson had standout seasons and should be on there over Westbrook.

Reaction Score
How? Haley Jones did nothing to prove she will be one of the top ten players next year. She had a "nice" freshman season until her injury, but nowhere near the season to be included on this list.

If any freshman besides Bsoton deserves to be on the list, is Rickea Jackson, who frankly, is better than Jones.
I didn't say Haley is good, just compare the #1 recruits in 2018 and 2019 both are not in the list ....

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'm a bit surprised that Rennia Davis of Tennessee is not on the list. Otherwise, I don't think one can argue that much with the choices.

Reaction Score
Love is earned.

I was pretty disappointed in what I saw from both sophomores last year. They both need to get much better mentally and physically in the off season if we want to be a championship level team.

Reaction Score
Love is earned.

I was pretty disappointed in what I saw from both sophomores last year. They both need to get much better mentally and physically in the off season if we want to be a championship level team.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
When you get down to it, Evina got a backhanded compliment as they suggest her shooting efficiency while at Tenn won't cut it as a Husky.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think it was more a forehand slap at the Lady Vols system. :D

What I find strange is no mention of her coming off medical issues.

This is the organization which lists Ducharme as 5'10" so....

Reaction Score
This should be titled "Why She Could" or "Why She Should." I've always been a big believer in waiting until the game is played before determining who could, should, would or did.

Reaction Score
When you get down to it, Evina got a backhanded compliment as they suggest her shooting efficiency while at Tenn won't cut it as a Husky.
I thought it was a questionable observation. The UCONN offense, especially if we full court press with 10 players, will result in a lot of open shots, layups, pull ups and open 3s, all of which she has. Let's face it, the Vols were not very good when she played there (19-13 overall and 7-9) and it is hard to have a good shooting percentage when a defense can concentrate on you, the passes to you are just not there, or you are behind in games and have to take longer distance or rushed shots. I'm not worried about her shooting percentage at all. I look at the three point form which is solid, the pure pull up jumper and the court smarts. I am also confident that CW and Liv will make similar MW types of jumps next year.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I thought it was a questionable observation. The UCONN offense, especially if we full court press with 10 players, will result in a lot of open shots, layups, pull ups and open 3s
When you have twice as many players on the floor as your opposition, you'd better hope for a lot of open shots! ;)

Reaction Score
I'm a bit surprised that Rennia Davis of Tennessee is not on the list. Otherwise, I don't think one can argue that much with the choices.

I'm not. Rennia is a good player, but does virtually nothing to make her team good. Tennessee was a bubble team last year, only because of the name on the front of their uniform.

Reaction Score
I like the list, I’d def put Rickea Jackson on it and take off Kiana Williams. I don’t know why but I’m just not sold on Dana Evans, maybe it’s because of her height. I think Boston is the second best player behind Howard. I think Charli Collier will be on the list by the end of next season now that Vic is at Texas

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Last year we were the only top 10 team not to have ANY players make the ESPN top 25 list.

This year, again the only preseason top 10 team without a player ranked in the top 10. If you'll look at this list, it includes an entry from every Top 10 team, except.... HAIL STATE. I might rank Rickea a tad over Westbrook, but I realize Evina plays for UConn so I don't wanna overstate that here.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Last year we were the only top 10 team not to have ANY players make the ESPN top 25 list.

This year, again the only preseason top 10 team without a player ranked in the top 10. If you'll look at this list, it includes an entry from every Top 10 team, except.... HAIL STATE. I might rank Rickea a tad over Westbrook, but I realize Evina plays for UConn so I don't wanna overstate that here.
Then perhaps the error lies in the top 10 team ranking and not the player rankings. ;)

Mississippi State was a very balanced team -- unlike, say, Kentucky or Texas A&M -- so the individual awards aren't going to pile up. These lists are pretty silly in many ways. Rickea Jackson is probably ready for an outstanding season.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Then perhaps the error lies in the top 10 team ranking and not the player rankings. ;)

I don't know what you're talking about. Both RPI and Final AP poll had us ranked #9 at year's end. Outside of your opinion, it seems like the default consensus is that we were #9 or #10 in the final scheme of things.

Yeah, I get the impression that the team is seen as really balanced. The team that feels like a similar kind of balanced is South Carolina.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don't know what you're talking about. RPI had us ranked #9 and Final AP poll had us ranked at #10. Outside of your opinion, it seems like the default consensus is that we were #9 or #10 in the final scheme of things.

Yeah, I get the impression that the team is seen as really balanced. The team that feels like a similar kind of balanced is South Carolina.
The winky face emoji was intended to convey I was kidding about that first comment.

But there's a difference between a balanced team that's #1 or #2 in the country and a team that's #9 or #10. I wouldn't really take it was a diss.

Reaction Score
These lists are just to stir up the hype and keep fans engaged until next season (hoping we have one). I for one was tired of the WNBA draft lists that kept appearing all year so it was time for something new I guess lol.

I don't have a huge problem with those who were listed but it will definitely be a bit of a transition year from the "star player" perspective we've had the last few. There is still plenty of talent out there and it will be interesting to see who steps up and who takes center stage.

I admit to being one of those who saw Westbrook several times at UT and was fairy impressed by her. She didn't seem like a natural point guard to me but did improve between year one and two. She could get to the basket and while her outside shooting needed some work I would rather have her on my team than not. I hope she is healthy enough to show everyone what she can do.

ONO and CW were both very good last year, neither quite great. It wouldn't surprise me to see either or both take major steps forward by next year as they both have the tools to be excellent. They just didn't do it consistently enough over the course of the total season.

The sport lost a lot of talent this go around but there will be some good players to step up. Bueckers could fill any sort of star power void left by Ionescu. I still haven't been able to see McDonald in a game but her stats are certainly impressive. Vic may pull something out of Collier to get her to recognize her potential. McCray may decide Jackson is "the" go to player, which was something the Bulldogs really lacked last season.

Just hoping we get to enjoy the talents of these ladies and more come fall and early winter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom