Espn top 100 players... Boatright top 10? | The Boneyard

Espn top 100 players... Boatright top 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well Boatright wasnt listed 11-100.. I find it hard to believe ESPN would rank him top 10. But I'm assuming they did.

Purvis was #83

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Was thinking the same thing. If he isn't top 10 then that's a travesty.

Reaction Score
He will have the ball in his hands at an incredibly high rate. If he plays up to his potential he should have a huge year. Last 2 point guards were all Americans. Not really going out on a limb to put him on a top 10 list. If boat doesn't succeed it's because he can't carry the load and lead this team or the outside shooting is so bad teams can stack the paint and cut off any penetration.

Reaction Score
I just posted the same thing, how funny would it be if wasnt even ranked and Purvis is 83 and Boatright is unranked although i have yet to see a top 100 player ranking with Boat in the top 30.

Most likely top 10 Boatright, Okafor, Paige, Kaminsky, Harrell, Vanvleet, Dekker, Niang, Staten and Baker
Between Okafor Harrell and Kaminsky for #1.

Both Whichita St and Wisky will have 2 top 10 players

Reaction Score
I just posted the same thing, how funny would it be if wasnt even ranked and Purvis is 83 and Boatright is unranked although i have yet to see a top 100 player ranking with Boat in the top 30.

Most likely top 10 Boatright, Okafor, Paige, Kaminsky, Harrell, Vanvleet, Dekker, Niang, Staten and Baker
Between Okafor Harrell and Kaminsky for #1.

Both Whichita St and Wisky will have 2 top 10 players
Agreed. IMO this is how they'll rate:

10. Baker
9. Boatright
8. Dekker
7. Staten
6. Van Vleet
5. Niang
4. Harrell
3. Okafor
2. Kaminsky
1. Paige

Although Boat should be higher than Dekker, Staten, Van Vleet

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
No way he's not in the top 10 unless its an egregious error. All of the other preseason AAC first teamers have been in the top 100.

Reaction Score
Boat should be higher than Van Vleet and Staten? I love Boat but I don't know.

Reaction Score
Boat should be higher than Van Vleet and Staten? I love Boat but I don't know.
staten should be higher, coming an 18/6/6 season and playing in the big12. vanvleet's shooting % is nice but he is playing against crap competition. imagine if boat could go head to head with the guards from bradley or evansville.

pj

Reaction Score
Boat = champion. Even stat-wise, Juwan Staten's 18-5.6-5.8 is no better than Ryan's 12.1-3.5-3.4 when you consider that Staten played 5 extra minutes per game and was the focus of his team while Ryan was deferring to the best guard in America. And Ryan stepped it up in the NCAAs. There's also no stat for defense and Ryan was incredibly disruptive. Don't see choosing Staten over him, Big12 preseason player of the year or not.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Boat will probably not be ranked. The national media does not regard him anywhere near as highly as the BY does. Keep in mind I don't care where some dude sitting in front of a computer ranks him, I care how he actually plays on the court.

FWIW, Boat had an outstanding tourney but still struggled with consistency a bit during the regular season. I think his performance in the postseason is causing people to maybe forget that. Don't get me wrong, I love the kid and I think he is primed for a monster season. But he is not yet as perfect of a player as he is made out to be.

Reaction Score
Boat will probably not be ranked. The national media does not regard him anywhere near as highly as the BY does. Keep in mind I don't care where some dude sitting in front of a computer ranks him, I care how he actually plays on the court.

FWIW, Boat had an outstanding tourney but still struggled with consistency a bit during the regular season. I think his performance in the postseason is causing people to maybe forget that. Don't get me wrong, I love the kid and I think he is primed for a monster season. But he is not yet as perfect of a player as he is made out to be.
Just looking at which players are left i got Boatright, Okafor, Paige, Kaminsky, Harrell, Vanvleet, Dekker, Niang, Staten and Baker. Check it out and see who missed the list so far that might be in the top 10

Reaction Score

He 100% will be ranked. You think they are going to rank Purvis over Boatright? You're out of your mind.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He 100% will be ranked. You think they are going to rank Purvis over Boatright? You're out of your mind.

It wouldn't be the last time ESPN has criminally underrated UCONN.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
In all honestly, Boat is not a top 10 player nationally - not yet. He is, however, a top 100 player.

Reaction Score
Top 10 is too high. 101 is ridiculously low. Logic would say they went the non-ridiculous route and just overrated him a bit since he has a ring - which seems fair. Victors and spoils and all that.

Reaction Score
In all honestly, Boat is not a top 10 player nationally - not yet. He is, however, a top 100 player.

I agree...I actually think it's generous to say he is top 10. Would have thought he'd be somewhere in the 15-25 range. But he's much closer to top 10 than he is to being outside of the top 100.

Reaction Score
You know, I never considered myself a Boatright Shr.T.-hugger. Thought he was too wild as a freshman. Thought he was not team-player enough as a soph. Thought he was too much in conflict with Bazz for 1/2 the '14 season.

But my opinion of him changed drastically during our final run down the stretch and then into the finals.

This cannot be overstated - his defense wasn't just very good or exceptional - it was some of the best we've ever seen. The guy was like an angry yellow jacket in late September going after the ball handler like the guy had just dribbled on his nest. Every time I rewatch the tourni games I re-marvel at how much he shut down and disrupted the other team.

Go fish out Points in the Paint for MSU and Florida. The reason the numbers were so abysmal was Boat. No seriously. He was in the point's shirt at half court and never - not one possession - did he allow the other point guard to get comfortable or get very good position for entry passes. He was absolutely relentless.

And he was no slouch on O. Vs. Kentucky - a team of 4-6 NBA players, he was 5 of 5 from 2, missed a 3, 4 for 4 from the line, 4 boards, 3 assists, and 3 steals. In 32 minutes. With an injury to his ankle late in the 2nd.

The problem with assessing how good Boat was last year and is this year is pretty much a Pippen phenomenon. He was playing next to the best player in the game, and he deferred, finally, and necessarily.

Is he top ten? I don't know. It seems very unlikely he'll get drafted top 10. But that's not the question, is it? It's not, "is he a top 10 NBA player in college?" Other guys may have more talent and more height and so on. But that doesn't make them better college players.

Put it this way - is there any way you'd take a Harrison over him? NO WAY. Just no way. And by all physical measures, those two are going to be "better" NBA players.

Energy, drive, defense, nerve, motor, quickness, . . . . Maybe not top 10. But I'd be very comfortable putting him top 20, and perhaps 15ish.

More importantly, there is no player I'd want running our team this year ahead of him - and that's not a Kobe-contract nod to his past accomplishments - it's simply the choice that I believe gives us the best chance of repeating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom