ESPN series ranking the college programs who have produced the best NBA players | The Boneyard

ESPN series ranking the college programs who have produced the best NBA players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the weeks leading up to the June 27 NBA draft, we’ll be taking a look at the 20 schools that have produced the best pros in the modern draft era (since 1989, when the draft went from seven to two rounds).

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask.../85004/path-to-the-draft-ranking-nba-pedigree

They start out with Syracuse at #20, http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/85018/path-to-the-draft-no-20-syracuse, who certainly has had a lot of NBA players but haven't had a lot of star power.

So where does UConn come in on this list? They've certainly had a long list of NBA players and more decent ones than Syracuse but haven't had a lot of stars. Ray Allen is the only one who will probably end up in the Hall of Fame.

It will be interesting to see where a school like Wake Forest comes in, who hasn't had as many NBA players as UConn but has guys like Tim Duncan and Chris Paul.

Reaction Score
In the weeks leading up to the June 27 NBA draft, we’ll be taking a look at the 20 schools that have produced the best pros in the modern draft era (since 1989, when the draft went from seven to two rounds).

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask.../85004/path-to-the-draft-ranking-nba-pedigree

They start out with Syracuse at #20, http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/85018/path-to-the-draft-no-20-syracuse, who certainly has had a lot of NBA players but haven't had a lot of star power.

So where does UConn come in on this list? They've certainly had a long list of NBA players and more decent ones than Syracuse but haven't had a lot of stars. Ray Allen is the only one who will probably end up in the Hall of Fame.

It will be interesting to see where a school like Wake Forest comes in, who hasn't had as many NBA players as UConn but has guys like Tim Duncan and Chris Paul.

The good thing is that 1989 includes Cliff Robinson, a guy who racked up the stats for UConn, so that's a good start.

Burrell, George and C Smith had a cup of tea, Knight, Yell Marshall, Allen, Donny for a few games, Ollie and his 13 years, Hamilton, Voskhul, Caron, Gordon, Okafor, Boone and Armstrong, Rudy G., Villanueva, AJ Price, Thabeet, Adrien, Dyson barely got any play, Kemba, Lamb, Drummond... Who am I missing?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The good thing is that 1989 includes Cliff Robinson, a guy who racked up the stats for UConn, so that's a good start.

Burrell, George and C Smith had a cup of tea, Knight, Yell Marshall, Allen, Donny for a few games, Ollie and his 13 years, Hamilton, Voskhul, Caron, Gordon, Okafor, Boone and Armstrong, Rudy G., Villanueva, AJ Price, Thabeet, Adrien, Dyson barely got any play, Kemba, Lamb, Drummond... Who am I missing?

Add Kahlid to your cup of tea list. Marcus.

Reaction Score
Add Kahlid to your cup of tea list. Marcus.

Yep, just remember Khalid with the Bulls. Marcus W. is a prominent omission. He actually stuck for a little bit.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Syracuse is too high. They shouldn't be ranked

Come on. I despise the orange (mostly for their irrational cocksvcking fanbase), but they've put some good players in the league: Derek Coleman; Sherman Douglas; Carmelo Anthony, Owens, Warrick, Waiters, Kujo. Can't forget Fab Melo of course.

Jim Brown went there. Does that count? Surely he could have played in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Come on. I despise the orange (mostly for their irrational cocksvcking fanbase), but they've put some good players in the league: Derek Coleman; Sherman Douglas; Carmelo Anthony, Owens, Warrick, Waiters, Kujo. Can't forget Fab Melo of course.

Jim Brown went there. Does that count? Surely he could have played in the NBA.

Lots of draft busts in that list. Don't forget the pearl.

Reaction Score
I think UConn should come in no worse than sixth. The only schools I can think of that have produced more and/or better NBA talent since 1989 are Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, and UCLA. Arizona's put a lot of players into the league too, though none have been as good as Ray Allen.

If it wasn't for Kentucky's recent flood of one-and-done's entering the league, you could make a strong case to put UConn in front of them too. Even most of UCLA's successful NBA players since 1989 entered the league in just the last couple years.

Reaction Score
I guess this depends on the definition of "produced". UK and Calipari haven't really developed any of their "one-and-done's". Those guys could have gone anywhere else and been drafted.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I think UConn should come in no worse than sixth. The only schools I can think of that have produced more and/or better NBA talent since 1989 are Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, and UCLA. Arizona's put a lot of players into the league too, though none have been as good as Ray Allen.

If it wasn't for Kentucky's recent flood of one-and-done's entering the league, you could make a strong case to put UConn in front of them too. Even most of UCLA's successful NBA players since 1989 entered the league in just the last couple years.

Not a chance, UConn in top 3 easy. Compare the top6 from any of those teams to ours, it's clear, UConn has a dirty squad. Maybe UNC or Duke, BuT NO way UCLA, KU, or UK beats out our top 6

Btw don't sleep on Gtown with Mutumbo, Zo, and AI

Reaction Score
Not a chance, UConn in top 3 easy. Compare the top6 from any of those teams to ours, it's clear, UConn has a dirty squad. Maybe UNC or Duke, BuT NO way UCLA, KU, or UK beats out our top 6

Btw don't sleep on Gtown with Mutumbo, Zo, and AI

As impressed as I am that UConn's produced as much NBA talent as it has, the program's had two NBA All-Stars. Kentucky's produced four that were drafted later than 1989 (Mashburn, Magloire, Walker, and Rondo). They've also had a handful of other guys who've had solid NBA careers (Tayshaun Prince, Derek Anderson, Ron Mercer, Tony Delk). On top of that are the recent one-and-done's who are already productive pros (Wall, Cousins, Davis). I can see Kentucky being ranked higher than UConn.

I actually thought Kansas players have been more productive in the NBA, but the list drops off steeply after Pierce. I'd put UConn ahead of them, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kansas is ranked higher based on reputation.

Reaction Score
Not so -- at least four that I can think of off the top of my head:

Cliff, Ray, Rip and Caron.

I stand corrected. I forgot about Robinson and always thought Butler was one of the guys on the fringe of making an All-Star team.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
No way Kansas should be ahead of us. Who have they had since Pierce?

Reaction Score
As impressed as I am that UConn's produced as much NBA talent as it has, the program's had two NBA All-Stars. Kentucky's produced four that were drafted later than 1989 (Mashburn, Magloire, Walker, and Rondo). They've also had a handful of other guys who've had solid NBA careers (Tayshaun Prince, Derek Anderson, Ron Mercer, Tony Delk). On top of that are the recent one-and-done's who are already productive pros (Wall, Cousins, Davis). I can see Kentucky being ranked higher than UConn.

I actually thought Kansas players have been more productive in the NBA, but the list drops off steeply after Pierce. I'd put UConn ahead of them, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kansas is ranked higher based on reputation.

Man, I do not remember Antoine Walker and Mercer as anywhere near the players you do. I was shocked when I just learned that Walker made an all-star team. And Mercer had a career? Surprised there too.

Reaction Score
No way Kansas should be ahead of us. Who have they had since Pierce?
Chalmers, Collison, Hinrich, and a slew of younger guys. Not saying that puts them ahead of us, just some guys doing their thing.

Reaction Score
We can pretty much say Rudy is an All Star considering all the years he should have been on teams.

Reaction Score
Man, I do not remember Antoine Walker and Mercer as anywhere near the players you do. I was shocked when I just learned that Walker made an all-star team. And Mercer had a career? Surprised there too.

I'm not saying I remember them as great NBA players. I'm just trying to look at this through the eyes of the guy creating the list. He can say Walker made three All-Star appearances and that Mercer was a productive player for a handful of seasons.

I think UConn should be third. I'm guessing we'll be fifth or sixth.

Reaction Score
This past season we had 5 guys in the league average double figures. Okafor and Rip averaged 9.7 and 9.8 respectively. I'd put our guys out there with anybody.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Duke's pipeline may be broad, but it is overrated in terms of talent. What really lifted them is Grant Hill, Deng and guys like Boozer and wrinkle head. And rent-a-players like Irving and Rivers are BS imo. Magette was alright.

But they've had more duds than we have: Laettner, Hurley, Jay Williams (don't matter the reason), Dunleavy, Duhon, Singler, Thomas, Ewing, Sheldon Williams...

Got to give credit to that anus JJ Redick. He made himself into a decent role player.

Reaction Score
Not so -- at least four that I can think of off the top of my head:

Cliff, Ray, Rip and Caron.
Not an All-star but Emeka was a NBA Rookie of Year in 05 and was on 04 Olympic team.

All signs point to Kemba and Drummond being All-Stars and Gay should have been already.

Reaction Score
Duke's pipeline may be broad, but it is overrated in terms of talent. What really lifted them is Grant Hill, Deng and guys like Boozer and wrinkle head.

Please. If you're going to do it, at least do it right. It's "groovehead".

Also, I agree with you on Redick. I thought for sure Morrison would be the better pro and that Redick would be out of the league in a few years. Oops.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Please. If you're going to do it, at least do it right. It's "groovehead".

Also, I agree with you on Redick. I thought for sure Morrison would be the better pro and that Redick would be out of the league in a few years. Oops.

Morrison became immediately suspect once he balled his eyes out in his final tourney game.....before the gnikcvf game even finished! Still didn't think JJ would stick though. Makes me a little nauseous to admit it.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

Burrell's career was a bit better than a cup of tea. Nearly 10 years in the league and was a decent reserve for Chicago when they won the title in 1998. A pretty decent 3pt shooter. I also love that Chicago traded Dickie Simpkin's to GS for him. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom